Gem: "sideways" rooms

jmcookiemonster25

Hey everyone. We were GTY for a cruise coming up and today I see we've been assigned a cabin. It's one of those "sideways" ones. It looks like it's the same size as the other "normal" ones, but obviously the door is on the side of the cabin, not at the end. How does this change the layout of the room? Does anyone have any pictures from their stay in this type of cabin? I have never stayed in this type before and I am just curious about it. I attached a picture in case you aren't sure what I'm referring to. Thanks!

Cruise.jpg.a661b1edfe1739ea429fee37bc412520.jpg

Haven't stayed in a sideways room on the Gem but have on other ships. Generally, because of the furniture arrangment, the sideways rooms feel much bigger than the regular ones. I think you will like it.

Oh that's very interesting, thanks for that! I will be sailing with my dad so we'll have two single beds vs the queen, that doesn't make a different I presume?

Oh that's very interesting, thanks for that! I will be sailing with my dad so we'll have two single beds vs the queen, that doesn't make a different I presume?

We had the bed together, so I can only assume that two beds would be arranged with those two little tables between as is the arrangement for two beds in balcony rooms. You will be close, but able to walk between the beds.

We had the bed together, so I can only assume that two beds would be arranged with those two little tables between as is the arrangement for two beds in balcony rooms. You will be close, but able to walk between the beds.

Yeah the little tables go between the beds in the "normal" inside rooms as well. I am curious as to where the bathroom, closet and door are.

Search --- Pearl Sideways Inside Cabin 5081.

My photos of our inside sideways cabin should come up. I accidentally put "Pearl" in the title, because we've sailed on her twice. My pics are actually of that same room on The Jewel.

I put up the pictures so that folks here would be able to see what these rooms look like. We, too, had booked an inside GTY room, and we were assigned this room.

We really liked the room better than the regular insides. The room seems more open and easier to get around in. The only drawback that I noticed was the fact that when the room door is open, it's really super easy to see right to any one that is still in bed. When my dh was in bed and I was going to open the door, I always warned him.

We had the same position room as yours, except we had a 5th floor room. We were in the same spot -- first room right around the corner of the elevator/stairs. Prior to our trip, I was a bit worried we might get a lot of noise from a ton of people using the elevators/stairs. But that wasn't the case. We had no noise at all.

And it was GREAT getting off the elevator/stairs and having our room right around the corner. I never got lost either!!!!!! ha!

I think you will be really happy with your cabin!

Search --- Pearl Sideways Inside Cabin 5081.

My photos of our inside sideways cabin should come up. I accidentally put "Pearl" in the title, because we've sailed on her twice. My pics are actually of that same room on The Jewel.

I put up the pictures so that folks here would be able to see what these rooms look like. We, too, had booked an inside GTY room, and we were assigned this room.

We really liked the room better than the regular insides. The room seems more open and easier to get around in. The only drawback that I noticed was the fact that when the room door is open, it's really super easy to see right to any one that is still in bed. When my dh was in bed and I was going to open the door, I always warned him.

We had the same position room as yours, except we had a 5th floor room. We were in the same spot -- first room right around the corner of the elevator/stairs. Prior to our trip, I was a bit worried we might get a lot of noise from a ton of people using the elevators/stairs. But that wasn't the case. We had no noise at all.

And it was GREAT getting off the elevator/stairs and having our room right around the corner. I never got lost either!!!!!! ha!

I think you will be really happy with your cabin!

Thank you so much! Your comments and pictures were extremely helpful. It does seem like a better room. I like that the door to enter the room and the bathroom door aren't right on top of each other. The visibility into the room isn't a big deal, when we open the door, it's to leave, so it's okay if someone sees in.

IMO the beds apart give more usable space. 9" to a foot on each side of the bed is pretty much dead space. A foot and a half to two feet between. The beds is somewhat usable.

IMO the beds apart give more usable space. 9" to a foot on each side of the bed is pretty much dead space. A foot and a half to two feet between. The beds is somewhat usable.

Yeah, when the beds are pushed together it's so cramped. I have only ever slept in the pushed together bed once, the other times they were separated, and I prefer this for sure.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, we got back 2 days ago from our cruise in our inside "sideways" cabin. I took a picture and will include it here.

First off, the room did seem more open. It seemed easier to navigate around. The door to get in and the bathroom door weren't on top of each other.

However, since the room is sideways, instead of rocking head to toe, you rock side to side, and my dad said he felt the sensation like he was going to roll off the bead. I didn't personally experience this but I could definitely see how this could be possible. Luckily our ship didn't rock too much, but I can't imagine how it would have felt on a very rocky ride.

The location of the room compared to the elevators was nice, it was down the hall and right around the corner. My bed being against the wall didn't seem to be a problem, the only noise we heard was a toilet flush from the next room.

All in all, we probably won't ever specifically request a sideways cabin, but we won't switch out if we get it again. We were basically indifferent about it.

1739108753_RoomSmall.jpg.e1230f17ab9f65b0f3cffc66e91668d7.jpg

Have sailed 3 times in a Gem sideways cabin and it is our preferred choice. Not only does the room seem bigger, I believe the bathroom is bigger - no cramped toilet area. We always look for a sideways cabin on any jewel class ship we are sailing. You will like it!

We already have cruised. We didn't LOVE it, but we didn't dislike it either. The room did feel a little bigger, and it was nice not having a door for the toilet, but other than that it wasn't anything spectacular. As I mentioned above, if we get one again we won't switch, but we won't specifically look for one either.