Update on husband...

eminence_front

He's doing much, much, much better today. Out of nowhere, he started doing much better this morning, almost spontaneously. I was worried about him for several days there because he was passing tissue and lots of blood after his lithotripsy. We did some research and concluded that he happened to be one of the "lucky" 1% who had the complication of bleeding on the kidney (hematoma). We were told this resolves by itself most of the time. Now he's just passing regular urine and just tiny, tiny bits and pieces of what looks like old tissue being flushed out. Hopefully, the worst is over. I was worried for a while that he would have a very, very slow recovery. He's still taking it easy today, though. I'm surfing the Web and he's watching "Running Man" on video.

We sail on 9/10 and we're looking very much forward to it. I'm even going off my Weight Watchers maintenance plan for five days while I'm on the cruise. What's a cruise without splurging? :p

whew!!!!

I'm glad everything is OK..I'm sure he'll be perfect by the time you need to leave. Thank goodness this all happened before your cruise and not while on it!!!

I wish you calm seas and blue skies....have fun!!

halos,

Yeah, his stone was pea-sized before the lithotripsy. His urologist wanted to get it blasted ASAP because it's been in his kidney for two years and was starting to cause some minor damage. I can't even imagine what it would have been like had he not had this lithotripsy done and if he was on the airplane or ship and the stone had tried to move down to his ureter. He would have gotten very, very, very sick, to say the least. :eek:

Em, I'm glad to hear that he's better and that y'all will be able to go on the cruise. I know you're looking forward to it. Tried to email you earlier, but your email addy isn't listed in your profile. You got the msg. anyway.:) Hope he continues to improve.

I'm sure I speak for everybody here in saying how happy I am that your husband is feeling better today. I hope you splurge during your cruise. I hope you two enjoy.

On a serious note, you might want to dig out your insurance policy....check out what info they require [and when] regarding cancellation/trip interruption. We could all tell how concerned you were this morning. Hopefully all will be fine for the future. Couldn't hurt to "bone up" on the "what if". Even though you probably won't need it, always good to be prepared. Pretend you're back in school....and it's time for a Fire Drill.

halos,

Yeah, his stone was pea-sized before the lithotripsy. His urologist wanted to get it blasted ASAP because it's been in his kidney for two years and was starting to cause some minor damage. I can't even imagine what it would have been like had he not had this lithotripsy done and if he was on the airplane or ship and the stone had tried to move down to his ureter. He would have gotten very, very, very sick, to say the least. :eek:

Although I can't say that I know what it feels like to be your DH, I do know what it feels like to be you. My DH had kidney stone issues for years and finally needed that lithotripsy. Since that procedure (and that was over 10 years ago) and just a few changes in his diet, (mostly drinking more water and less Pepsi) he has been stone free. I don't know if I could ever live through his going through another kidney stone again.

Archived