Marseille - Notre Dame de la Garde

GrammaA

We will be taking the Princess Grand Mediterranean cruise next year which has a port stop in Toulon. We are considering a shore excursion that goes to Marseille, with a stop at Notre Dame de la Garde, then to Aix en Provence. I am not capable of climbing the number of steps indicated in the excursion description to enter the basilica, but I want to go to Aix with my family. Are there places to sit, and perhaps have a coffee, where coaches drop off passengers?

I appreciate any information you are willing to share.

We will be taking the Princess Grand Mediterranean cruise next year which has a port stop in Toulon. We are considering a shore excursion that goes to Marseille, with a stop at Notre Dame de la Garde, then to Aix en Provence. I am not capable of climbing the number of steps indicated in the excursion description to enter the basilica, but I want to go to Aix with my family. Are there places to sit, and perhaps have a coffee, where coaches drop off passengers?

I appreciate any information you are willing to share.

Hopefully some one who has been there will reply. I looked at pictures at the base of the church and all I could see were parking lots so I am not sure if there is some place to have coffee,but you could sit on the wall and read or walk around...maybe taking some coffee with you OR maybe there is a place I could not see. It sure looks like a lot of steps. There just seem to be a lot of high rise apts at the entrance to the parking lot. Maybe some one will reply soon.

Hopefully some one who has been there will reply. I looked at pictures at the base of the church and all I could see were parking lots so I am not sure if there is some place to have coffee,but you could sit on the wall and read or walk around...maybe taking some coffee with you OR maybe there is a place I could not see. It sure looks like a lot of steps. There just seem to be a lot of high rise apts at the entrance to the parking lot. Maybe some one will reply soon.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at Google maps street view, but I wasn't able to see all of the parking lot. Thought there might be a cafe or snack place with benches, but couldn't see anything. If I don't get a response, I'll have to wait to ask at the shore excursion desk onboard the ship. Going to be at the Toulon port on a Sunday and I understand the shops will be closed in Aix. Sure hope we're able to find a place open for lunch! Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at Google maps street view, but I wasn't able to see all of the parking lot. Thought there might be a cafe or snack place with benches, but couldn't see anything. If I don't get a response, I'll have to wait to ask at the shore excursion desk onboard the ship. Going to be at the Toulon port on a Sunday and I understand the shops will be closed in Aix. Sure hope we're able to find a place open for lunch! Thanks again.

At about 2.00 in this it shows the steps up from the parking lot. Annoyingly it doesn't show a seat/bench at that level, but I am fairly sure there was one. And you may be able to take a lift up to the level from where you can go into the basilica. I definitely took a lift from the top of the steps up from the parking lot, but it was to the WC - it may well have gone a floor or 2 higher, which would be to basilica entry level. And there was a shop/cafe.

Sorry I can't be more definite - I think you will be OK but hopefully someone will confirm this. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]aNsFktA9o58 [/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

Looks like you got a good reply just now.Shops in Aix probaby will be closed buth yu should find plenty of places to eat.Have fun on the cruise.

At about 2.00 in this it shows the steps up from the parking lot. Annoyingly it doesn't show a seat/bench at that level, but I am fairly sure there was one. And you may be able to take a lift up to the level from where you can go into the basilica. I definitely took a lift from the top of the steps up from the parking lot, but it was to the WC - it may well have gone a floor or 2 higher, which would be to basilica entry level. And there was a shop/cafe.

Sorry I can't be more definite - I think you will be OK but hopefully someone will confirm this. All the best, Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the very nice video and information about seating. I've read that there is an elevator, but the shore excursion description says there are 167 steps to get to the basilica entrance...way more than I can handle. I'll probably reserve the shore excursion and hope the elevator is easily accessible. Although I may be so tired from our consecutive days of touring I'll just stay onboard. But I'd hate to miss a visit to Provence. Regards, Linda

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, there is an elevator - it was installed quite recently. You don't need to climb any steps at all to go inside Notre Dame. Go up the little hill behind the places reserved for disabled parking near the bus-stop - it's a short climb, but up a gentle slope, not steps. Then, using the elevator, you can go inside the church and up to the panoramic terrace.

Edited by AngloinProvence

Yes, there is an elevator - it was installed quite recently. You don't need to climb any steps at all to go inside Notre Dame. Go up the little hill behind the places reserved for disabled parking near the bus-stop - it's a short climb, but up a gentle slope, not steps. Then, using the elevator, you can go inside the church and up to the panoramic terrace.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the response with your expertise on Notre Dame. I'm looking forward to the visit.

Linda

• 4 weeks later...