Need advice for British Isles shore excursion to Versailles

Makaren

My husband, my sister and I are going on the Princess British Isles cruise on the Royal Princess next summer and we are having trouble deciding on an excursion from La Havre. My sister and I would love to take the tour of Versailles. My husband wouldn't mind but due to heart problems, he has some moderate mobility problems. He sometimes uses a cane and has trouble walking for long distances at a time if the pace is too fast. Is this shore excursion too ambitious for him to consider? What kind of distances are concerned crossing the gardens to the restaurant where lunch will be served? I wish I knew the name of the establishment, but I don't. I just know it is "across the Versailles Gardens to a restaurant located within Versailles Park". If anyone has taken this excursion and can give me an idea for what we might be dealing with, it would really help. TIA

Makaren

You might want to post this under the Britain or Europe ports of call message boards for a better response. I know that they rent electric golf carts by the hour for the mobility challenged at Versailles. You might look into that. The grounds are huge and it is a long walk to everything.

I guess I'm not sure where to post this. I was already referred here from another forum. I was more interested in this particular excursion on this particular cruise. I'm getting the idea this may not be a good choice for my husband.

Makaren

Not sure of this excursion, but Versailles is huge if you cover gardens and bldgs. Not sure this would be appropriate if there was health/mobility concerns. I'd call for more details or wait till on board to decide if it would work.

Edited by eandj

I have been to Versailles twice, and my husband has similar mobility problems. Not only are the distances huge but the crowds are even larger. My husband would not do well with either. Plus, it's a very long day so even if you're in good health with full mobility, there is a huge drain on your stamina. I wouldn't recommend it for your husband. A golf cart might help in the gardens and they have a small train that will take you around, but that doesn't help with all the walking and steps inside--made even more challenging by the huge crowds. Don't get me wrong, I loved both my visits to Versailles, but I think it would be very difficult for your husband to enjoy the experience.