Gluten Free on the Triumph??

Grammie1950

After being very sick for a long time my husband was diagnosed with Celiac disease. This was only a few weeks ago, so we are new and learning about gluten free meals. We are sailing on the Triumph on Dec. 11th. Our PVP has already made note in our booking and I’ve checked on the web site and there is a gluten free menu for the MDR only. I would appreciate any info from someone who is on a gluten free diet and has sailed on the Triumph. And are there any options on Lido that are gluten free? Thank you so much in advance for your help. Smooth sailing everyone.

Our chefs will make every effort possible to fulfill your requests and will gladly prepare freshly made options that meet your dietary needs. However, you will need to make arrangements in advance with your headwaiter and hostess. Once onboard, we ask you speak with them so they can assist in planning your daily meals in the dining room. This will allow us the necessary time to prepare foods, as requested, in a timely manner.

Additionally, we have available gluten free bread for deli sandwiches, hamburger buns for burgers, and cake upon request. Plus, our ice-cream and yogurt are Gluten-free and we offer Gluten-free pizza at the Pizzeria, as well as, Gluten free pasta on the pasta bar (only available on the Carnival Breeze, Carnival Dream, Carnival Magic, and Carnival Sunshine). However, please keep in mind that sandwiches, burgers, and pizza are prepared fresh upon request. Therefore, they may take a little longer than regular menu items. We ask for your patience while we prepare your requested dish. We’d also like to mention we carry Gluten-free beer, Estrella Daura for your enjoyment.

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

so, you can get gluten free guys burgers, gluten free sandwiches from the deli, pizza, ice cream and frozen yogurt, and of course gluten free items on the normal lido buffet and/or room service menus. and beer :D

I developed a bad gluten intolerance a few months prior to our last cruise on the NCL Getaway. Although I haven't sailed the Triumph, as a first-time GF cruiser, I have some advice, for what it's worth.

As previous poster noted, you want to let the host/hostess know prior to sailing. I also emailed NCL special services prior to cruise, and they noted my food restrictions on my reservation.

Every night at dinner in the MDR, I would order for the next day's dinner from a special menu. Since I'm also a vegetarian and bit of a health nut, my selections were very limited, but there were plenty of choices for meat-eaters.

We also ate frequently in the buffet, and I would frequently have to ask staff if an item was GF. I'm happy to report that they always were accomodating, and if they didn't know, would call the head chef to ask.

I also learned that it's better to be safe than sorry. I ate some nacho chips, which are usually GF, and had a reaction to them. I should have asked -- my guess is there was some cross contamination during frying or something, so if your husband has celiac he will definitely want to ask about anything where there is any question.

I hope, like I did, he will find all the staff very accomodating and happy to help. I was a bit wary, being a first time GF traveler, of getting sick or how I'd be treated, but it turned out to be a fantastic cruise and no problems at all. I'm sure you will find the same -- enjoy your trip!!

Thanks rhiannon35. I'm very happy to hear you had a great cruise and it all went well with your diet restrictions. Like I said this is all new to us. I was a little concerned because it did state on the CCL website that special diets were only in the MDR but it did list items that are on Lido also. My husband was diagnosed with Celica, so it is important that we be very careful. It's noted on our booking and our PVP said to make sure to meet with the someone in the MDR after we board. My husband has had ruff year physically this year. So we are looking forward to this cruise and some RR. And we've always been happy with CCL. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Your info was helpful. Smooth Sailing!!

My husband also has Celiac disease and Carnival is very good with this. Any food in the main dining room (breakfast, lunch and dinner) you can arrange with the dining room hostess. Hubby has no problem with guys burgers or their fries (the only thing to watch on the burgers is the sauces/toppings. Of course from the Lido Buffet look for foods without sauces, stay away from breaded foods. Plain fruits, veggies, salad (go for oil/vinegar dressing or oily Italian). I've heard the scrambled eggs at the buffet are not gluten free...go for a made-to-order omelet instead. Hubby has always found plenty to eat on the cruiseships. He has gone gluten-free for about 4 years now so we pretty much know what to stay away from. Hope this has helped some. If you have any questions at all, I'm all ears. Have a great time on your cruise!

Thanks rhiannon35. I'm very happy to hear you had a great cruise and it all went well with your diet restrictions. Like I said this is all new to us. I was a little concerned because it did state on the CCL website that special diets were only in the MDR but it did list items that are on Lido also. My husband was diagnosed with Celica, so it is important that we be very careful. It's noted on our booking and our PVP said to make sure to meet with the someone in the MDR after we board. My husband has had ruff year physically this year. So we are looking forward to this cruise and some RR. And we've always been happy with CCL. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Your info was helpful. Smooth Sailing!!

I'm more than happy to help. It was new to me last year, so I know what it feels like. Like your husband, I also had a rough time prior to my diagnosis, including being so sick on our cruise the year prior that I could barely leave the cabin.

Knowing what's making you sick and that you can avoid it is a blessing! Enjoy the well-deserved cruise, and let us know how it goes :)