Help! Crash Course in Bargaining!

RocketJ

I know I've got a while yet but my shopping juices are starting to flow and I DESPARATELY need a crash course in bargaining. I'm really lousy at it - in fact so lousy I can't do it. I'm the kinda geek that goes to the flea market and pays the price they actually ask :o .

Any help is appreciated!

But be respectful and don't talk down about the item you are interested in buying. I don't think it is about what the item is "worth", more it is about what you are willing to pay for it that should matter. In the end, you have to be happy with your final accepted offer or be prepared to say sorry, thanks anyway, and walk away.

But be respectful and don't talk down about the item you are interested in buying. I don't think it is about what the item is "worth", more it is about what you are willing to pay for it that should matter. In the end, you have to be happy with your final accepted offer or be prepared to say sorry, thanks anyway, and walk away.

Nicely written. I suggest if you will only pay half the price they offer, you'll likely end up with half the gifts you seek to purchase. The prices are not out of range with reality to begin with. Some bargaining can be fun and expected, but when the buyer gets nasty about the quality of the product or talks down because it's Mexican, it is ugly and unnecessary. These merchants and helpers are pretty good people and work just as hard as anyone selling in the no-discount diamond stores and deserve at least as much respect.

Nice word, respect!

I normally just pay what they are asking. Most merchants look like they need the money more than I do.;)

The exception is when and if I show the smallest interest in an item, but don't really need the item and the merchant throws a lower price out to me. I may buy it if it seems like a deal. This happened in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I was just looking at some carved marble statues....I was not really interested in buying. The merchant kept after me to buy and kept lowering the price. The original price was well worth the item, however I didn't need or want it. He kept going down and seemed desperate to sell, so I finally bought a nice marble cat. :D

Or you could just shop at Los Cinco Soles where the prices are well marked and they happily take credit cards. Have lunch at Pancho's Backyard if you visit the store in town. It is on the waterfront about 5 blocks north of the Plaza.

When they say "you're killing me" I always say "I'm so sorry to have disturbed you, please forgive me" and walk off. Then they run after me and offer me a lower price.

Good one! I really like that idea~! My advice is don't be afraid to walk away. Most of the time they will run after you. If they don't, you can probably find it somewhere else at a price you're willing to pay.

Archived