Identification Question - Please be kind

TidePrideGA

Okay, I dislike it when people start a thread on the "dreaded" subjects saying "I hope this doesn't start a debate" KNOWING that it will.... but I'm about to do that very thing.

I have a serious concern. DH, DS and I are going on our first cruise. I had a passport years ago, but don't still have it and it's been expired for nearly 30 years. DH never had one, DS has never had one. Because of the threads I've read here, even though it wasn't going to be required when we sail on Dec 11th (and definitely isn't now with the rescinsion of the deadline), we're getting passports. DS and I have already applied for ours, we're waiting on DH's certified copy of his BC.

DH's name on his BC is, and on his passport will be, Stephen. His driver's license says Steve and always has. I have been assured that having a passport will eliminate any concern over this discrepancy. The reservation was originally made as "Steve" (BECAUSE his DL says that), but we have had it changed to "Stephen" to match his passport.

Here's my concern... everyone keeps saying "take your passport AND your photo ID". Is there ANY circumstance under which it will become an issue that the two don't match... or does having a passport REALLY totally eliminate the need for them to match?

Also, and this may not be an appropriate question for here, but are the passport people likely to have a problem with this since he will have to submit both his BC AND a copy of his DL to the passport agency?

Thanks, guys ... I'm really starting to worry about this....

I think you will be fine. My DH is having a heck of a time getting his passport since Florida no longer issues raised seal birth certificates but we can worry about that next year. Seems the passport offices haven't kept up with the BC offices and now it is causing some problems. And I have my original birth certificate which is almost illegible because of the ink they used back then- but since it has the raised seal and a date on the seal everybody takes it, go figure.

if you are that concerned, and I would do this myself, have him change his drivers license to Stephen, my husband is dennis and goes by denny, we had everything match his birth certificate, my husband just applied for his first passport at 64 years old, in fact we just recently noticed his middle name was spelled wrong on his BC, fortunately he always uses his middle initial not full name. As picky as homeland security has been on all these issues I would fix anything long before it could be a problem, why have anymore possible hassles than you have too. When we went to the eastern caribbean in April, right after the original passport requirements were issued, I had the customs officer giving me flack about, how since I lived in Washington state so close to Canada, I'd better hurry and get a passport, and this was in st. thomas,WHATEVER. but to save any hassles on our next cruise we have both applied for passports.

event.png

This is what I'm thinking, too, Kalena, but I'll get some flack from DH. Here in big city Atlanta it can be a MAJOR hassle to deal with DMVS.... long lines, etc. Getting DH to think I'm not just being over-worried about this and actually getting him to the DMVS to change it is the issue ... I've already told him the next time his DL expires he needs to do this ... I'm slowly working up to "do it before we cruise"....

I don't know much about atlanta, in fact nothing, but here, I am willing to drive out of town to a smaller town, about 20 miles away just to get my license renewed because there is never any lines there, of course the fact that it's right next to an outlet mall, has nothing to do with it (ha ha) I'm really curious to see when we get our passports anyway, we applied 4 weeks ago, I keep hearing so many conflicting reports on what is going to be required I just think of it as like another tax, something we have to have to do the things we want to. The first cruise we went on was during the major floods on the mississippi a few years ago, the town my husband was born in was completely under water, NO WAY to get a BC, since it was before 9/11 he was able to use his voters registration, it took a year to get a copy of his BC from the state, as he was born before the records were on computer. I personally would do whatever Icould to make it as easy as possible, I have even carried my marriage license with us, because I had a customs officer in Mexico bug me because my name is so unusual for a white, irish, girl.

DH's name on his BC is, and on his passport will be, Stephen. His driver's license says Steve and always has. I have been assured that having a passport will eliminate any concern over this discrepancy. The reservation was originally made as "Steve" (BECAUSE his DL says that), but we have had it changed to "Stephen" to match his passport.

Thanks, guys ... I'm really starting to worry about this....

Steve, like Stevie or Stevo isn't a real name! :eek: It is just a shortened version of Stephen are Steven.

Stephen.... sometimes called Stefan... or on board HAL ships.... "Sir Steve" ;) ... but never Mister!!!

Uh - okay - if you say so :eek:

Actually, it's funny. Steve and I are both 99% convinced his BC says Stephen, but I can't remember how I *know* that - and HE doesn't remember if his real name is Steve or Stephen!! So.... we've asked the TA to hold off on officially changing the reservation with HAL until his BC comes and we can find out for sure what his name is!! Silly, isn't it?

I'm dang glad I'm getting a passport - I kept my first married name so my BC says Davis, my ML says DeRamus and my DL says Hill.

I think I'm getting a headache :confused:

Uh - okay - if you say so :eek:

Actually, it's funny. Steve and I are both 99% convinced his BC says Stephen, but I can't remember how I *know* that - and HE doesn't remember if his real name is Steve or Stephen!! So.... we've asked the TA to hold off on officially changing the reservation with HAL until his BC comes and we can find out for sure what his name is!! Silly, isn't it?

I'm dang glad I'm getting a passport - I kept my first married name so my BC says Davis, my ML says DeRamus and my DL says Hill.

I think I'm getting a headache :confused:

If I don't even know for sure who we are, how will I ever convince Homeland Security?

we went to mexico with an unmarried couple last year, when we returned she went through customs as his "family member" she had one name on her bc, another on her license and went through customs under HIS last name, no one said anything. I went through with my bc, license, AND marriage license and the agent questioned me for 5 minutes about where I was born and who my parents were and why I was in mexico. Sometimes I could kill my mother for giving me an unusual name. We laughed about it but who knows where they come up with stuff, especially since the minute they punch you up on the computer they know more information about you than YOU do. In reality they may not make any deal out of it, but if ONE officer is having a bad day, it can make your trip a mess. My DH says I obscess about these things but then he has to admit, we have never had a major snafu or problem on any cruise or trip that I have planned.

P.S. check out this website lots of info and pictures of the WESTERDAM!!http://cruiseclues.com/shipstips/westerdam.htm

I just went to DMV this past week to have my name corrected on my driver's license. I had called the court cleak to inquire if a name discrepancy on my DL might be a problem when applying for a passport. She said it was "easier" if everything matched, but if there was a good reason for differences, and they could be documented or explained, not to worry. I figured it was time to make the correction anyway, so I went to fight the line at DMV (and lived to tell about it!).

When it was *finally* my turn at the DMV, I explained to the woman that I simply needed to correct the name on my license. "Getting a passport, huh?" she replied. Apparently, they've had a lot of that going on these days. :)

Your husband really needs to get his drivers license corrected. I had the same problem because I originally used my baptismal certificate to get my drivers license and only discovered when I had to get my birth certificate when I got a passport that my name was different (Judy vs Judith).

It has caused problems even at airports in the US because the name of my drivers license did not match my Visa card which I had used to make the reservation, so I made sure to get it changed before I went abroad recently.

All he needs to do is take his birth certificate to the drivers license bureau to make the change.

the name on my drivers llic and the name on my passport is slightly different-- if i know that i will be using the passport then i book plane tix and cruise docs in the name on my passport ---if im not using a passport then i use the name on my drivers lic and weapons permit

We just returned from Zuidy's West Carib cruise. I never showed my DL during the whole trip except when we went to Costa Maya Mexico, and then only because a photo ID was required for re-entry to the pier and I didn't want to risk losing my passport.

Candy <-- just applied for a renewal

I have no idea whatever happened to my old one. I was a teenager then (Mom took me to the Holy Land) and I don't think it made the transition when I moved out. I just filled out the passport application and said checked lost under previous passport with the appropriate information.

Archived