Celtic Thunder's Cruise to the Edge of Monsters of Rock!! :) \m/\m/

Swiftyrox

Hello All,

This post is not at all about reviewing the MSC Divina, albeit a gorgeous ship and amazing in its own right!! For those who have not had the chance to sail the Divina...you won't be disappointed. All ships come with pros and cons, and the Divina isn't void of both sides, but my wife and I are ecstatic to have had the preview of the Divina for April next year!! :)

Being a Monsters of Rock Cruiser...What this post is about is a review of what was previously considered, by some potential Celtic Thunder Cruisers, to be an all around BAD IDEA!! I'm here to dispel that myth and report to you that the Celtic Thunder cruise was an absolute success!! Yes...a mish-mash of Thunderheads, Moody Blues Maniacs, and Big Hair Brethren!! I cannot say enough about how much this experiment, if you want to call it that, worked out!! Such an incredible group of people and entertainment to take part in!! So many people walked completely out of their comfort zones, and I think fans of all musical styles were gained!! Everyone had such a great time together!! The CTTE and MOR contingent was very small at best, but we all blended in beautifully!! Well, despite a few Ratt and Keel concert tees, some long hair, a disproportionate abundance of black clothing...there were no sore thumbs!! Everyone was on best foot forward behavior!! I can emphatically say that all of the MOR and CTTE attendees truly enjoyed the Celtic entertainment and vibe!!. So much so that now people are asking for The Kildares to be on the MOR 2015 Cruise!! Doubt that will happen, but what a ringing endorsement to how much synergy existed in this cruise amongst everyone!! I think the only real complaint that anyone truly had was the mandatory emergency drill prior to sailing...so once again, we're all in agreement!! :)

People meeting people from all walks of life, histories, backgrounds, and musical tastes!! People understanding that even though we share slight differences, that we are all people in the end, and we can come together to bring true flavor to an already incredible experience...Collectively, we were all the icing on the Divina cake!! I just wanted to say thanks to the Thunderheads for opening your arms for us "Stinky, Drunk, Out of Control, Rock 'n Rollers" to join in on such an epic experience!! I think everyone walked out smelling like roses here!! If the MOR Cruise wasn't already sold out, I would invite each and every one of you to join in on more of the fun in April!!

Ultimately in the end, I just wanted to say to the doubters and naysayers that existed prior to this cruise and thought that this casserole of humanity could not possibly exist together...you should really reconsider your apprehensions next time!! I think it goes without saying that this was an absolute success on all levels. In closing....Many new friends were made, many new journey's experienced, and tons of new music and culture absorbed!! On behalf of my Wife and I...We want to say THANK YOU to each and everyone one of the Celtic Cruisers, Cruise to the Edgers, and Monsters of Rock....you all emphatically.....ROCK!!! :) \m/\m/

Edited by Swiftyrox

Great post! I agree that a fun time was had by all (most). I liked having extra groups on the cruise, and I got to chat with some really interesting people over dinners in the Black Crab. I regret I didn't get to any of the late night sessions with the non-CT entertainment, but I was just so tired at night. I agree that the Kildares were awesome...I thought all the bands out by the pool made the cruise even more fun than last year (Irish Party...Yaaaay!). In fact. I loved the whole night time pool deck party vibe.

I do have one question. Did OTB tell all of you that you were sailing on a Celtic Thunder charter? I know some of the CT fans did not expect there to be anyone but us on the cruise and were somewhat surprised/shocked. :)

Everyone who was part of the CTTE and MOR charters were fully informed and knowledgeable about the Celtic Thunder charter we were going to be involved in. We knew full well going into this adventure that we were supplementary invitees to the fun!! As soon as the invite went out for us to join in, I went to the Celtic Thunder Cruise page to see who and what was included. I'm shocked that some people had no idea it was a themed charter...That's the last thing I would have imagined!! Bonus for them huh?!?!?! :)

I actually think some of those people may have been sweepstakes people who were extended an offer to get a great deal on a cruise, and they really had no idea...just thought it was any other 3-Day Caribbean getaway....Maybe?

I guess I should suffix this whole thing by saying....Celtic Thunder was having issues selling out the boat, and for that reason alone, they wouldn't sail unless they reach some minimum capacity. It might have been a nice courtesy for the Celtic Thunder organizers to have filled in everyone for CT? Dunno...but didn't see any long faces on the boat amongst anyone...Everyone had a blast!! :)

Edited by Swiftyrox

I was on the last CT cruise, but couldn't budget it in for this year. I was very surprised when I got a letter that I had won a reduced cabin via an online drawing I was entered in. All the paperwork on my voucher said it was through Celtic Thunder. I'm not sure if it was a "real" win since a lot of people ended up with the same offer, but whatever it was, I'm glad it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

I think there were definitely a few people on the cruise who weren't alumni of the music cruises. They seemed to be doing okay, but it must have been a strange scene for them. :)

All in all, I'm glad the ship sailed full with all of the groups. Without all of you rockers, the CT may never have happened. So far, there is no 2015 CT cruise, and only rumors of one for 2016, so I wish you well on your upcoming MOR cruise.

Kelly

Thanks for the review Tim. We all had a great time listening to the Irish music. My favorite line of the trip was something one of the Kildares, I think, said. "Isn't great to have the rockers on board. Irish freckly people next to people with lots of tattoos. " Or something like that. I loved the freckly comment because that was me and I was one of the rockers. Not a tattoo in sight either. :) We all had a great time. I posted elsewhere one of our rocker ladies did have an ugly incident with a CT fan but we certainly won't let one bad apple spoil the basket. We were a small contingent of 80's rockers and 70's hippies.

There were a lot of people who entered the sweepstakes for the reduced cabins who didn't get it so yes, you won a real sweepstakes.

I tried to see a lot of the CT performances. I missed the Mythology show because of slow service in the dining room but I did get to see the Holiday show. I saw the Gaelic Dance show, loved it, and Chloe Agnew, voice of an angel, Mick Thomas, hilarious, and one of Sandra O'hara's shows and of course both Kildares shows, and one Gaelic Storm. Probably a few more too. I thoroughly enjoyed them all. Can't wait for April and Monsters of Rock then November for Cruise to the Edge. We move to the NCL Pearl for CTTE.

I was on the cruise as a fan of Celtic Thunder and all things Celtic. I am also a 60's hippie. I loved the mix, the eclectic personas, the kilts, the black T's and the tats. Whether CT, MORC, or Moody, or even just cruisers who were unaware... I enjoyed each and every person I had a chance to meet and/or got to know. I thank all who performed in front or behind the stage, all the cruise personnel and staff, and each and everyone who helped make this a huge success. Namaste. Till next time :)