Too dressy for Getaway?

smilz

I like to wear dresses to the specialty restaurants party because I have a closet full that I NEVER wear (except on cruises!) but mostly because the waistbands are forgiving. :D I have a black dress with a rhinestone buckle that I have worn on other lines for dress up nights. Is it too dressy for the Norwegians' Night Out?

I wore a Ralph Lauren black evening gown (like a matte jersey material, nice thick drape-y fabric) that was one shoulder with a rhinestone clip on the shoulder... I say go for it :D (this was on the Dawn but I would imagine it would be the same on the other ships) ... I felt maybe slightly overdressed compared to most - there were a few people really dressed up - but got lots of compliments on the dress!

Isn't "getting away" on vacation the point of both vacations and freestyle? If wearing your formal dresses and feeling extra beautiful is not how you spend every day, then you have met one of the goals of a good vacation. It is the same as someone who says they must dress up or wear suits at work and don't want to dress up on the cruise.

I bet you look beautiful in these dresses!

My wife and I dressed up every single evening on Getaway three weeks ago--even when dining in the MDR on 3-4 nights. Before our trip, I wondered if I might feel self-conscious surrounded by so many casually dressed cruisers, but I never did--not once. As you might expect, the women in general dressed up a bit more than the men*.

I saw lots of women dressed in chic black outfits--on every night of the cruise. Instead of looking out of place, they looked elegant and sophisticated and certainly turned my head. Black always looks stunning and there are few places better to look your best (and feel your best) than on a $1.1 billion cruise ship. Final observation: The Tropicana MDR has very nice decor and evokes the vibe of a 1930s Havana supper club. Seated on the dance floor just steps from the "Burn the Floor" dancers (you need to arrive at the MDR by 5 p.m. to snag a dance floor table), you will look like a million bucks, just as you will at Taste, Savor, Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, or Cagney's. These days, most people have precious few opportunities to wear their dress clothes. Getaway presents the perfect opportunity to do so.

(*I love the freestyle concept and salute those who prefer casual attire.);)

Edited by chesapeake2atlantic

Good to know - looking forward to getting dressed up for at least a few dinners on our cruise! I was worried that we would be the only ones.

It sounds like my husband would be OK without a jacket. Would he look out of place in a tie? I agree that women usually (enjoy!) dress up a bit more.

Good to know - looking forward to getting dressed up for at least a few dinners on our cruise! I was worried that we would be the only ones.

It sounds like my husband would be OK without a jacket. Would he look out of place in a tie? I agree that women usually (enjoy!) dress up a bit more.

Given the extreme variation in attire, I think it's safe to say that no one ever looks out of place on the Getaway. ;)

My DH desperately needs a new jacket anyway, so this might be the push he needs. ;)

I've written about fashion for a leading magazine, so forgive the unsolicited advice: Most every man looks smashing in a Navy blazer, be he thin or portly. Tie or no tie. A blazer pairs nicely with everything from light wool slacks to cotton knakis to denim. Add a blue dress shirt and cordovan/burgundy tassel loafers (and smart pocket square if he's daring) and he will look great for any venue on the Getaway.

(To my eyes, wearing a tie without a jacket looks like someone is imitating a store manager. Far better to wear a light sports jacket with no tie. If you're trying to keep down the weight of your luggage, he can wear or carry his blazer on the plane, but they also pack well.)

Edited by chesapeake2atlantic