Scuba Options in Nassau

jaime1

I'm trying to plan out the diving for my upcoming cruise, and I'm running into some difficulty with Nassau. This is my first cruise as a diver, and I've never been to Nassau, so it's a bit new to me...

We're going to be in Nassau for only 6 hours (1-7). The cruiseline is HAL, and their Nassau dive operator is Stuart Cove. Initially, I thought this was a no-brainer - I've read some good reviews on this operator, so I figured the decision was simple. But then I checked out the excursion price. Now, I don't mind paying a premium for an excursion - I expect to pay more in return for the assurance that I'm going to get back to the ship on time. But this excursion is $139 for a 2-tank dive, and that seems pretty excessive to me (it's not a shark dive). I figured this might be due to rising fuel costs, so I checked Stuart's Cove online (I know I can't book with them independently, since they've got a contract with HAL). Their direct price was $88 (if prebooked, it was only $78). Is it the norm for prices to be inflated this much for an excursion?? The other islands I checked out didn't seem to have as much of a discrpancy between independent prices & excursions.

My husband is standing on principle and refusing to pay the ship's price. I'm figuring that, after the cost of the cruise, the airfare, the drinks, etc., this is just a drop in the bucket. I'm willing to be offended & then get over it in order to dive, if there is no other alternative.

I'm figuring that, with only 6 hours, I have no other alternatives - it's either book the excursion or don't dive, right? Am I correct that I'd be taking a fairly big risk going with another operator? (I did check Nassau Dive Center, based on reviews I've read, and they have apparently closed up shop anyway.) Are there any possibilities I'm overlooking?

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pay the excursion price. You could book the dives independently, after all they only know you are on a cruise if you tell them. The problem with this is you then would have to pay for a Cab to get you to Stuart's Cove(about 30 minutes), buy your own lunch, make sure their dive times are compatable with your port times, and then worry when the taxi to take you back to your ship shows up late.

Try Divedivedive.com. They have a pickup at the fountain (outside pier)at 1215pm and will get you back in time. You dive the same locations as Stuarts Cove and the price is $70.00 for 2 tanks. I have used them twice when arriving on HAL ships in the late morning. Remember unlike other cruise lines, HAL only offers a full equipment package as part of their dive excursions. Other cruise lines have a no equipment and equipment package price. This means you are paying a big premium if you bring your own stuff.

Sorry just noticed your times...they won't work. I guess HAL has really slowed their ships down to save fuel. We were docked both times by 1045am after sailing up from St. Thomas /BVI

Good luck

Ah - I didn't know that HAL's excursions automatically include the equipment rental. That's rather obnoxious to not allow a choice (We're bringing our own gear.) Jeesh - if this doesn't turn out to be one heck of a cruise, I think I'll be going with another cruiseline in the future...

Hey everyone:

My wife and I had a great 2-tank dive with "Bahama Divers"; check out bahamadivers.com. Their rate was less than Stuart Cove's. They were very accomodating working with our ship's schedule. (as are most of the dive operators in the Carib)

They are only about a mile or so from the cruise ship dock. Actually my wife and I walked there on our last cruise to burn off some calories. Their shop is at the bridge to Atlantis Resort; it was a cool walk and great view of harbor, etc. I imagine a cab fare would be very cheap. The people we dove with were mostly "Atlantis" folks, not cruisers like we were.

DMs and crew were all great, as was the equipment.

I recommend you contact them to see if you could schedule a 2-tank dive in the afternoon; these guys are pretty flexible.

Have a great cruise and hope you have lots of fun/safe dives.

Stuart's Cove really packs the boats full also. I usually dived with Nassau Dive Center when in Nassau, because they were always GREAT. I was there in January, 2005 and they made arrangements for me with Dive, Dive, Dive. It was a really nice group, not too crowded. There were two buses from Stuart's Cove (from the cruiseship) and I was really glad I did not book through the ship. Dive, Dive, Dive sent a ride for me, and brought me back to ship. I highly recommend them. We did a small boat wreck and a wall on the first dive (about 84 feet) and then on the second one, we did a freighter "Ray of Hope" (65 foot) with lots of holes to go through. There were only 3 divers on board, besides myself, and two divemasters. NICE......

Archived