12 Day Spirit Mediterranean Cruise Review (September 2014)

tmackel

Thank you! I was going to DIY Istanbul. Glad to see a report of it being done.

How long was the walk back to the ship?

Based on your report it seems that it would be better to get lira from an atm for the day...which is something we usually do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Tuesday, Sept 23 Kusaidis -Ephesus Turkey

Terry ran on deck 12 again, my legs needed a rest (why are we running the Monster Dash ½ marathon again?) to get ready for this fantastic day in Ephesus. Our tour today is with Ephesus Deluxe Tours. Met our CC group of 19 big groups but we all get along so well it was not a problem. As usual we are on of first groups off the ship and met our guide easily. Her name is Gazim, very cute and energetic. She said tour guides in Turkey need to have a degree in tourism and she is currently working on her PhD. She was VERY knowledgeable - the history here is incredible and after the tour we understood why a college degree is necessary for a guide.

Our first stop was the House of Virgin Mary. Up and up the mountain we go---it amazes me how this place was found for Mary. Very quiet secluded solemn place. We were the first group to arrive - the house is very small and was actually rebuilt -the original first 4 rows of brick on base of house are original. Only a few people could enter a time/ you could kneel and pray if you wished. Felt much at peace here. Then we washed our hands/face with water from the mountain....supposed to bring healing to the body. Many people with cancer come here to drink the water for cure. Next was the prayer wall. Wrote a prayer/wish and hung it on the wall with thousands of other prayers. This was most spiritual place I have ever been to its hard to explain.

Now off to the City of Ephesus. Gazim walked us through Ephesus and the Terrace Houses. It was over 100 steps up through the houses. I was getting a little claustrophobic /it was covered with a teflon roof which interested Terry. Back in the days people who entered Ephesus had to bath and change clothes upon entering to prevent disease such as malaria. The houses still have original paintings on the walls, the mosaic floors are beautiful. I saw a heart mosaic that I thought was interesting---when did the shape of a heart begin??? We were mostly impressed by the Celsius library and Theater. HUGE beautiful columns. Next stop was the Temple of Artemis, we weren’t here to long but had plenty of time to get our pictures.

Then we were off back down the mountain to see St. John Basicilla and the baptismal pool. Learned a lot of history about St. John and Mary. Why didn’t they teach me this stuff in catholic school? I might have paid more attention. J

Our day ended back in Kusadis for some shopping and lunch, we stopped for a local beer and bread. When we ordered this our waiter looked at us funny "beer and bread....like plain bread?? I never heard of this order before".... We laugh but the bread here is fantastic! Back to ship early-we were tired and hungry so went straight to Garden View restaurant the non-formal dining area but still same menu as Windows Dining Room. Met a couple from Ohio---Yay! Big 10 football fans. J We all could feel each other’s pain in missing our college football games this trip. Their son is marketing red solo cups for shots. So if he becomes famous, we met his parents. Tonights show did not interest us so off to Champagne Charlie’s for our Franzishaner beer and live music.

Time for bed. Chow.

ry%3D400

Arriving in Kusaidis, Turkey

ry%3D400

Our tour bus today

ry%3D400

Inside our bus

ry%3D400

First stop of the day House of the Virgin Mary

ry%3D400

The House of the Virgin Mary

Thank you! I was going to DIY Istanbul. Glad to see a report of it being done.

How long was the walk back to the ship?

Based on your report it seems that it would be better to get lira from an atm for the day...which is something we usually do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, If I had to do it all over again I would take the tram to the Blue Mosque and get lira's. Get to the Blue Mosque ASAP. Alot of people we talked to weren't able to go because the lines were to long.

If was about a 3 mile walk back to the ship from the Blue Mosque. Easy walking.

Edited by tmackel

Wednesday, Sept 24 Athens Greece

Today I ran and Terry rested. Meeting our CC group of 10 for our day in Athens. Our tour today is with Private Greece Tours. Every other morning getting off ship has been smooth. Today- Floor 7 - the waiting floor- was not blocked off as all other mornings so down we go till we got stopped at Floor 4 .then they made us go back up to 7. By time we got up to 7 they announced time to get off ship -wth? Oh well, off we go to meet our guide for the day Demetrius. He is a handsome man from Greece/very good English bald yet in a good way kind of like Daughtry.  He is very organized and explains in detail his plan for our day. Driving through Athens is a little sad-lot of empty graffiti painted buildings, 40% unemployment. Athens is still rebuilding from economic crisis about 7 years ago.

First stop is the Acropolis. Meaning high city. The view is breathtaking like we never imagined. Demetrius dropped us off and we toured on our own. Amazing is all we can say. There is a lot of renovation which distracts a little from the experience but none the less spectacular. We visited Parthenon, the temple of Athena Nike, the famous female figures of the Maidens, and the Odeum of Herodus Atticus and the ruins of the first theatre.

Back to van and on to the Temple of Olympian Zeus --again amazing.

Next stop is the Olympic stadium we stopped long enough to look/take photos and buy an Olympic Marathon T-shirt for us and AJ--small, medium, large please--quickly back to van so we can watch the changing of the guards at the Parliament at 11:00a.m. Every man in Greece is required to serve in the military -as Demetrius said- it is their honor to serve their country. The changing of guards is fascinating to watch. They are wearing the uniforms from back in 1800's. The shoes are large, on the front of the shoe is a large pom pom, back in the days the guards would put a knife under the pom pom to stab its enemy (or something like that ha). They do a very distinct march.

Then off for lunch and time at the Temple of Hephaistos also known as Theseum. Terry had local beer and sausage /chicken/pork skewers and of course bread. Said it was fantastic. After lunch we visited Stoa of Attalos (ancient shopping centre) and the Acropolis museum, we had time to walk/shop at the town square. Nice little place for tourists and locals. We sat down to rest our feet and of course drink a beer.

Our time in Athens is almost over and it’s time to head back to the van and then back to the ship. Another special day in Europe!

Showered and had time to relax a little before dinner in Windows. Most people we talk to are eating at the specialty restaurants on the ship for an extra $15-30$....We choose to save $ and spend it somewhere else, also enjoyed dining at Windows. Food is fine and service is great! After dinner back to Champagne Charlie for live music with Jefferson--an Asian guy on guitar. After him came the two singers from the crew ship singing acoustic music--nice/something different to listen to at Champagne Charlie. New beer tonight---what do you mean you are out of Franzishaner (did we really drink it all?)? OK we'll try Pauliner (Hope it’s as good as Franzishaner!). It was! The show tonight was talent show from the ship crew. Lot of fun. They did "Fountains" must be a NCL thing as we saw it years ago 2008 to be exact on previous NCL cruise---(where crew members dress in toga and basically "spit" on each other :) Tired now-- we get to set our clocks BACK an hour tonight!!! Great timing for sea day tomorrow. Goodnight

ry%3D400

Arriving in Athens

ry%3D400

Our tour van

ry%3D400

Theatre

ry%3D400

Temple of Athena

ry%3D400

Parthenon

Edited by tmackel

Thursday, Sept 25 Sea Day

Up early to run plus we got our hour back ......and we know from experience on the last week sea day---get our lounge chair early. Had our chair by 6:30 a.m and were ready for a day of rest. It rained most of the morning but no problem for us....remember we have the best lounge spot on ship--along with our friends Cindy and DA from LA. We stayed dry as others scrambled away from their loungers. There is a canopy above us to keep us dry and in shade.

Saw a few dolphins swimming in the distance from the back of the ship. Read Tina Fey book and Running Magazine article AJ recommended. Terry snoozed but gets restless on sea days and the ship activities for the day are not even an option---Family dodge ball, bingo, how to look 10 years younger (nice sales pitch on that one I'm sure). Today for lunch we were dying for a hamburger and some fries, sometimes you just need some American food. J After lunch we took a nap, drank some beer, played some ping pong, and listened to some live music. Every day at 4:00 pm there was live music on the back of the ship which we enjoy. After the music it was time to head back to the room to get ready for dinner.

Ate dinner at Windows (always good) and decided to head to bed early tonight as were getting excited for a big day in Venice! Back to room and our door won’t open (say What!) Ronda (room steward) spots us in the hallway and said the battery for our door lock was dead and has to be replaced and will be about an hour. Sigh..... So much for early night. We venture back to our nightly spot- Champagne Charlie and even though Ian is good, we are getting a little tired of him. One recommendation for 12 day cruise- is to get new nightly entertainment after week one. Back to room an hour later and the door opens (all is good)!---Goodnight!

NOTE: Washy Washy --- NCL is very proactive in preventing and gastro intestinal disorder or Noro-Virus. Whenever you get on the ship after a day at port or enter a dining area there is a staff person whose only job is to spray every passenger's hands with sanitizer. No noro-virus on our ship-must have worked :) I love this notion.

Re-living our Med cruise through your beautiful pictures! I'm surprised that there is no manual/key back-up system to get in the cabins. That really sucks! The Spirit looks beautiful! Your cabin looks nicer then the one we had on the Gem late Oct. Was it a balcony or mini-suite?

Thanks for taking the time to post your review!