4 night Bahamas cruise - carnival ecstasy vs ncl sky

peachcreamsicle

I'm thinking of booking a mini-getaway with my BF to escape the frigid Canadian temps this December. We are both young professionals and would appreciate a younger crowd, but don't enjoy drunken shenanigans very much. Just wondering if anyone has done a short cruise with carnival and how it would compare to a short cruise on ncl.

Thanks a bunch!

Short cruises in general attract a younger crowd, so no matter which cruise line you pick, you should fit right in.

The 4 night has a different vibe than the 3 night weekend. The 4 nighter is a bit more laid back and mimicks a longer cruise. The 3 night weekend cruise tends to attract a rowdier crowd, many who go straight from work on Friday and go straight back to work on Monday, and who try to pack as much fun (and drinks) in the limited amount of time.

With that said, I would prefer the Ecstasy purely on itinerary. Key West and Cozumel are so much nicer than dumpy Nassau and Freeport, and while the Sky does go to their private island, I would prefer a sea day to relax and get into "cruise mode" instead of a port intensive itinerary. Just keep in mind that Ecstasy is older, smaller, showing her age a bit, and kinda stuck in the 90's (decor wise).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I'm thinking of booking a mini-getaway with my BF to escape the frigid Canadian temps this December. We are both young professionals and would appreciate a younger crowd, but don't enjoy drunken shenanigans very much. Just wondering if anyone has done a short cruise with carnival and how it would compare to a short cruise on ncl.

Thanks a bunch!

I would go with the Ecstasy. It's a fun little ship and it's perfect for a shorter cruise. I think the amount of drunken shenanigans would really depend more on the people who board than the cruiseline. I've been on two 4 day cruises with Carnival and the first was a nonstop party while the second was nothing but relaxation. They were both out of the same port, so I feel like it was a difference between the people.

We did the 4 day Key West/Cozumel itinerary last fall on the Imagination. The sailing was a bit rowdier than our 5 or 7 day cruises, but nothing that interfered with our enjoyment. The Lido was quite entertaining, as a matter of fact :D

We sailed on the Ecstasy on a 5 day out of PC. She was our first ship, and we loved her. The crew took pride in keeping her looking top notch. She is a bit timeworn, but IMO, that just added to her charm. If you sail on her, don't miss the open aft dining area behind the buffet area. It was our favorite spot on the ship--very peaceful!

Have a great cruise!

Thanks a bunch!

My fiance and I did a 4 day cruise back in January for a bit of a winter respite. It was well worth it. We did that Key West and Cozumel itinerary and enjoyed it a lot.

Since you're younger professionals, like my wife-to-be and I are, you'll enjoy Key West a lot. Duval street offers a plethora of options if you decide to have an adult beverage or 2 ;)

The Ecstasy just came out of dry dock last month, so she's been refreshed. NCL Sky went into dry dock a bit before her, also this year. I've done the 3 day on the Imagination, my only complaint is sitting at Nassau all day then spending the second day at sea. In the case of the 3 day, the NCL Sky is a bit better in the sense that you have a stop on the second day at their private island.

Given the time of the year, water temperatures are starting to get a bit cold and you'll also start to see a bit more jellyfish. If doing the 3 day to Nassau and the weather is warm, I highly recommend the water park at Atlantis. Yes, pricey, but you'll have a great time instead of just roaming the streets of Nassau.

Brilliant, thanks everyone for the tips. I'm leaning towards Carnival now based on everyone's suggestions (not to mention, I'm missing the melting cake on Carnival). Does Ecstacy have a Serenity deck? Any notable things not to be missed on the ship?

This should suck away at least 30 min of your life...

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-ecstasy.aspx

We sailed on NCL SKY 4 day cruise in Oct and loved every minute. We have sailed on NCL many times in the past but were lured to Carnival by cheaper prices. Big mistake. We had forgotten the excellence of NCL food as compared to Carnival as well as excellent service.

The SKY is a great ship--balcony cabins are little smaller than larger ships but room enough for 4 day cruise.

Entertainment was excellent wide selection of dance/music venues. Even live band on Lido deck.

Try her I think you will enjoy.

• 1 month later...

I think there are 2 ports that the ships can dock in Cozumel. If that is the case, does anyone know which one it comes into? I really like the one by the mall. Also we are in port in Cozumel until 10 p.m. Doesn't the city shut down to tourists at 5:00 or so? Thanks for the information.