Currency

sueandkent

For shopping in Grand Caymen is U.S. dollars the common currency and is everything priced in U.S.? Do you bargin like in Mexico?

Is there shopping near the port?

Thanks for the help.

There's plenty of shopping near the port area. We used US dollars, and credit cards (we tried to use AMEX only, but some places wouldn't take it but took Visa or MC). There's no bargaining in GC...you pay the prices as they are marked. If I remember correctly, the prices were marked both in Cayman and US dollars.

If you eat at a restaurant, check your bill closely. Ours was in CD, and the tip was already added. If we hadn't looked, we may have tipped twice.

Have a great time! :)

When you shop right around the port, you'll get change in US dollars. But further away from town, where they don't have the cruise people shopping, its possible you'll get Cayman dollars in change. We've stayed there for land vacations and thats something to keep in mind if you venture afar. :) You don't want Cayman dollars in change when you are only there for the day.

Good point! I don't think we will venture too far as we do have a tour booked that day. I was hoping just to get a bit of shopping in at the end of the day before boarding. Port shopping is fine with me.

Thanks for the tip.

Archived