Several FLL hotel questions and Priceline

flagger

Don't worry about not seeing the Orioles play. I'll be at the hotel March 2-6 for Spring Training, and although I'll see a few games, I doubt that I'll see them play either. They're that bad. In case you didn't know, the Sheraton is the team's hotel, but most of the big stars, rent their own condos. But hang around the lobby a bit. You'll see ballplayers.

For liquor and incidentals, you'll find everything you need on Powerline Road. It's the first big intersection just past the hotel entrance. Go north (right turn) and if you go as far as Atlantic Blvd, about 2 miles, you'll find a big Wal Mart on the right.

I particularly enjoy the food at CHAMPPS, in the big shopping center just before you get to the hotel, on N. Andrews Ave, at Cypress Creek. Very good, and lots of it. If you like salads, try SWEET TOMATOES in the same shopping center. It's an all you can eat buffet. Very clean, very tasty, and very cheap. Soup and pasta included.

TrentS - Thank you for all your great info - but yet, I have another question. We will be doing our pre-cruise day on New Years Day. So, what if anything will be open? Can I assume shopping is out? Someone, earlier - maybe you - suggested the Bimini Boatyard. Would you recommend it? And I agree, skip the Best Western Marina. We just used it in August and it was not good. The free shuttles (airpot/hotel/ship) were a nice touch and breakfast was better than most if you order off their menu. The rooms, however, need an overhaul.

Bimini Boatyard isn't as good as it used to be. Bravo, in the same strip mall is a much better choice... http://www.bravoitaliano.com/

No, actually there will be quite a few things open New Year's Day, or at least there were last year. Not everything of course, but in the touristy areas there was some shopping, several restaurants, etc. open.

Ended up w/ Holiday Inn FLL Beach on Priceline at $111 for April 1, pre-cruise. Hope this isn't a mistake based on the reviews. Is it tolerable for one night?The pictures on the HI web site do not make it look lie 3 star. We (mom & 2 teenage kids) will not have a rental car and will be arriving around 2 in the afternoon. Open to suggestions nearby for things to do, where to eat, where to shop, etc. Suggestions please.

That Holiday Inn is old and tired but okay for a night as long as you're not expecting a 4 or 5-star experience. Personlly calling it a 3-star is a big stretch IMO, but that's a major problem I have with Priceline. Several of their 3-stars are not very nice places. I would never bid on anything less than a 4-star myself.

It's a bit farther from the port and airport than most like to be, but it's across the street from a nice beach. The neighborhood is older, but safe. There are several small shops, some restaurants and bars behind and next to it. There's a small Italian restaurant a couple of blocks west on Sunrise Blvd. (just before the bridge) called Franco & Vinny's that's good, and very inexpensive.

If you walk 3 blocks to the west across the bridge you can get the Water Taxi at the Doubletree Guest Suites... http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp

Galleria Mall is a block west of the Doubletree... http://www.galleriamall-fl.com/

Beautiful Las Olas Blvd. is easily accessible by Water Taxi... http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

I wanted to report back on the HI Express. We stayed there on Saturday night pre-cruise.

Kevin from the hotel picked us up at the airport and on the way to the hotel stopped at a liquor store within walking distance so we could stock up. There was another liquor store across the street. Also it is next to a Winn-Dixie. I swear not a block up the street and to the right.

If you go to the left, there is a new Publix but actually the Winn Dixie walking wise is closer because the Publix is across a HUGE parking lot (strip center mall/extravaganza).

The hotel was fine, and we got a menu from Henrys (IIRC) which delivered AWESOME chinese. There is a Tokyo Sushi across the street and other places that deliver or are within walking distance.

My only complaint about the hotel was the water was YELLOW. I mean the colour of urine yellow. No smell, but I brushed my teeth with bottled water and had a quick shower. No seeing the ports from your room, but we could see them from down the hall which had glass at each end.

Taxi fare to the port was $12 including everything which still ended up being cheaper than the bus which was $6 a person even for my 2.5 year old so that would have been $18.

My DW and I stay at the Renaissance the night of Dec 20 and the water was urine yellow then also. We complain to the front desk and they tried to tell us it was the lighting in the bathroom. Wrong, no matter where you took a glass of water it was yellow. The good news was the hotel had free bottle water. The hotel was very nice other than the water.

Archived