Just back from The Dream

Just a quick report whilst I have cafe internet access.

Came back on Thursday after a wonderful week on the Dream - made even better by the surprise presence on board of some very dear friends who had booked as a surprise for us!

Had pre-booked the same cabin as last year - 5119 inside - that has extremely comfortable beds. Only complaint was the cabin (especially the bathroom) was not kept quite as clean as on our previous sailings and our steward (Jaya) never came to introduce himself. Beds turned down each evening with chocolate on pillow; one towel monkey arrived the penultimate night. Will pre-book the same cabin again next time as generally very quiet and well situated.

Food MUCH improved and we were spoiled for choice each mealtime. Steak offered 5 nights our of 7 with a different sauce each time - absolutely delicious and cooked to perfection (I have my Steaks ´Blue´ and not many chefs are brave enough to serve it so uncooked). Coffee offered after each Dinner. Had the same table for 4 each evening; very attentive service from our waiters Robert and Donny plus Wine Waiter Noel. We had the ´free´ drinks package due to early booking and found ample choices without having to pay a supplement; wouldn´t have paid the 230 Pounds per person they were asking for this on board but would probably book it again up to 298 Pounds (tried to work out how much we would have spent without the package and reckon it came to around 260 Pounds and some drinks were definitely missing off the list).

Entertainment excellent each evening. Didn´t see the guest comedian but would have gladly paid good money to go and see all the musical shows (Killer Queen was especially enjoyable).

Crew wonderful as ever and so good to see/be welcomed by so many familiar faces.

Now for the one complaint. We knew that the Dream was starting a weeks re-furbishment as we disembarked BUT the work started 3 days before the end of the cruise and the drilling noise (constantly from early morning until evening) was absolutely horrendous. Also no water on the last day until 6 p.m. with no warning given. Thomson will be getting an email from us about this.

Despite the re-furb problems we had a fantastic time and will be booking our next Thomson cruise shortly.

Edited by campolady

Hope the move went well :)

Thanks Linda.

We moved out as planned on Thursday - removal men arrived just as got back from the ship - and igned over the house yesterday.

We are now in our Nerja hotel until Christmas. Finally move up to Murcia on 27th December.

Thanks Linda.

We moved out as planned on Thursday - removal men arrived just as got back from the ship - and igned over the house yesterday.

We are now in our Nerja hotel until Christmas. Finally move up to Murcia on 27th December.

Glad to hear that. I have always fancied Nerja for a holiday, but never got there :rolleyes:

Good news about the move Brenda.

We nearly booked for Nerja over Christmas but have ended up in Beni :eek:

Hope the weather is OK.

Good news about the food improving, the new agency I presume.

They shouldn't have been doing that noisy work while guests were on, bang out of order.

So pleased you had such a good time campolady (building work to one side - already have a very active thread on that - understandably with lots of complaints and sympathy from those of us reading about it - it's not on Thomson!!)

Your very positive comments about the food have given me a big boost - it's what I've been waiting to hear for some time! :) Let's hope that is maintained now.

Pleased you've got the legal bit done with your house and although into a transitional period that you will enjoy the time in the hotel and that you will soon be permanently settled. Good luck!

Good news about the move Brenda.

We nearly booked for Nerja over Christmas but have ended up in Beni :eek:

Hope the weather is OK.

I think Beni was the wisest choice in December Joe- I've been to Nerja....

Just off the same cruise and couldn't find fault with food - always plenty to choose from incl steak in the orien, and how you wanted it cooked - you didn't have to pay anything extra either :D

No issues with food - was surprised to see slice ( square sausage) on the last day in sirens :D:D:D:

Edited by highlandlassie

Just off the same cruise and couldn't find fault with food - always plenty to choose from incl steak in the orien, and how you wanted it cooked - you didn't have to pay anything extra either :D

No issues with food - was surprised to see slice ( square sausage) on the last day in sirens :D:D:D:

Did you have any trouble with the building work highlandlassie?

did have problems with building work very noisy and no water on 6th day until around 6.30 - no water no washing of hands, :confused: so health and saftey issue, :( which i have addressed in my complaint letter to thje CEO and MD - cut out the middle man and, in this case, the after sales team

I hope you all get an apology for this. It's not on, doing updating when passengers are onboard.

tbh Linda I think they deserve more than apology. It's not as though Thomson wouldn't have realised or been able to predict that it would be noisy and very disruptive.

We enjoyed most of the cruise. It was a shame that the building work cast such a long shadow over the week.

As for the food, there we appear to differ. We ate breakfast and lunch in Sirens and dinner in the Orion. While we thought that the food in Sirens for both meals was excellent, the food in the MD was not as good. The appetisers were very poor, the main dish lacked quality and finesse and the deserts were not appealing. I love steak but found it very poor quality and although I enjoyed the lamb shank (being welsh...lol) felt it should not have appeared on a fine dining menu in that form. Also most of the main course involving meat were far to large when you could might like to attempt all 6 courses. However the fish was very good and served perfectly It might seem that I am being petty but with a slight change it could have been all first class.

Setting all that aside, it is good value for money, the atmosphere is great as are the crew and the show team. And we will be looking at another cruise but maybe on a different ship, as we like a change.

Hi Brenda, Glad you had a good time :) We have already heard about the building work (many times!) Do complain to Thomson, as the more people who do so, may stop them trying that trick again!

Hope the move went well :)

I agree, otherwise if Thomson don't think anyone is bothered, they certainly WILL try that trick again.

I don't think the new agency start until next week do they?

I heard they started onboard at the start of the wet dock (last Thursday, 27 Nov), presumably to prepare ready for passengers this week. I could be wrong though.

Nice to hear about the steak situation. Thought the steaks were a bit overpriced last year for what they were. A fiver would have been a better price, but glad to hear there's no charge now. Thomson listening to passengers finally?

I heard they started onboard at the start of the wet dock (last Thursday, 27 Nov), presumably to prepare ready for passengers this week. I could be wrong though.

Yes you are probably right Baggers. I meant that they were not on last week as someone (Kruzseeka??) thought :) Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Hi, I'm sorry about complaining about the size of portions on the main meal in the MD. It's a me thing, I get defeated if I see to much on my plate. I will take back that complaint. So sorry folks. Thomson, please take note and keep all portion sizes just as they are.

Hi, I'm sorry about complaining about the size of portions on the main meal in the MD. It's a me thing, I get defeated if I see to much on my plate. I will take back that complaint. So sorry folks. Thomson, please take note and keep all portion sizes just as they are.

I wouldn't want portions reduced. It was shortage of veg to go with the meat we struggled with on Spirit last cruise. A couple of little roasties with your meat not really enough.

Oh me too, I wait with dread to see how much is on the plate and if it is a lot, I can't eat it. I am a grazer and that is why I prefer the buffet :)

I wouldn't want portions reduced. It was shortage of veg to go with the meat we struggled with on Spirit last cruise. A couple of little roasties with your meat not really enough.
Agree Gill, I like less meat and more vegetables and that is also why I prefer the buffet :D

I must be greedy :eek:

I thought the portions on the Dream were very small and regularly left the Orion still hungry. I didn't eat the desserts because they weren't very appetising and didn't want to eat calories which didn't add anything to the quality of the meal. I thought the starters and main courses were very light weight.

I would agree that a huge plate of food is off putting but wasn't faced with that problem.

Edited by Little Nell