Gratuity Breakdown

We have pre-paid gratuities for our upcoming Quantum cruise. However, I was wondering what the new breakdown is especially now that there are no longer any assistant waiters under Dynamic Dining. Do the waiters get a larger amount each day out of the gratuities?

Is there still even a Maitred' that gets a portion?

We would typically provide extra gratuity to our wait staff even when we pre-paid and did MTD especially since we would typically be seated with the same wait staff under MTD. On Quantum with Dynamic Dining it seems unlikely that we would even have the same waiter twice. Are folks providing any sort of extra cash gratuity at the end of a meal especially if the waiter did a great job?

Royal Caribbean have updated their FAQ on gratuities to read

Guest gratuities go to the following crew and staff members:

•Dining Services

•Stateroom Attendant

•Other Housekeeping Personnel

RCI has had a few years now where not all gratuities are specifically 'directed' to your personal servers and attendants but that a large group of 'support' staff to these direct contact employees are included in the 'gratuity sharing' formula.

Back when the gratuity was $11.65 the breakdown was more specific.

Waiter: $3.75 a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.15 a day per guest

Head Waiter: $.75 a day per guest

Stateroom Attendant: $5.00 a day per guest

(Suite Attendant: $7.25 a day per guest)

Edited by MADflyer

I'm wondering if the service is still fine even though we are not giving the famous "envelopes" by the end of the cruise. This was a great moment for us when we really enjoyed the service and the staff was Happy for it (as we know most of them depended on tips to get a decent salary).

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk

Ever since RCI offered pre paid gratuities, we have signed up. In addition, we always tip additional cash to our Cabin Steward, Ass't Waiter and Waiter.

Can anyone tell me if they still leave envelopes the last evening before disembarking?

We've had them on previous sailings so I need to know if this has been eliminated.

If not, I will bring my own envelopes to tip in cash above the pre paid grats. TIA

The service in the specialty restaurants and Coastal Kitchen was fantastic. The service in all other complimentary venues was just ok and sufficient.

Chic and Silk performed well for me, but I was disappointed with service in the Grande and American Icon.

As wine and beverage service seems to be charged by servers and the 15% gratuity seem to go to the server that processes the bill, I used this to leave additional gratuity. I do not like the idea of handing 'cash' each night in the dining room.

Quantum did change my behavior in some areas as I never like to present cash with each 'transaction' I was prepared for Coastal Kitchen breakfast as the service and presentation and level of attention was really great. I was not inclined to leave 'extra' gratuity at any other complementary dining venue on Quantum. I think that 'some' maybe still left envelopes in Coastal Kitchen as the same waiters are present Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner daily.

It did feel a bit odd as I am the type to always leave envelopes and I was left wondering if Quantum waiters are paid a bit higher or how this loss of extra tips left on other ships is compensated.

I asked this directly to a bartender who I have known from other ships, but was not able to get a direct answer and he was not in 'dining services'

Ever since RCI offered pre paid gratuities, we have signed up. In addition, we always tip additional cash to our Cabin Steward, Ass't Waiter and Waiter.

Can anyone tell me if they still leave envelopes the last evening before disembarking?

We've had them on previous sailings so I need to know if this has been eliminated.

If not, I will bring my own envelopes to tip in cash above the pre paid grats. TIA

They have the envelopes on Quantum and the cabin attendants leave 2 at turndown 2 nights prior to disembarkation.

I asked my attendant for additional envelopes.

If I remember correctly the total for our cabin was around $300. Service was good but only a couple people stood out the whole trip. I took care of them at the time of service. Everyone else got whatever RC gave them. I cant say what they get from what RC took from our account but I don't think its much. I gave a waiter that went out of his way to entertain my daughter two nights in a row 50 bucks and he teared up a little. Cant help but think these folks are working for the most meager of wages. I've never used the envelopes because I don't trust that the money gets where its supposed too that way. If they are getting stuck-up for what RC collects on their behalf their isn't much I can do about that but actual cash has a way of disappearing so I put it in the persons hand.

Edited by jptsr1

• 2 weeks later...

Carnival gives you a breakdown on the 2nd or 3rd day of sailing to whom each tip is given per day. I read somewhere that part of the main dining room tip goes to those that service the buffet areas. As we do not usually use the MDR, I would like to ensure that I am tipping appropriately. Is it correct that the MDR tip is distributed elsewhere or is it strictly for the MDR staff? Thanks.

The staff in the WJ are definitely part of the pre-paid gratuities distribution.

The only 2 'servers' I spoke with on Quantum at WJ were on rotation from Room Service. On other RCI ships WJ staff are often on rotation from the MDR, but I could not verify that on Quantum as they state everyone is supposed to be 'venue experts'