Vision of the Seas...How concerned should this 1st timer be?

We are on the Vision in 5 days. We have only sailed on the Allure and Oasis. Our mindset going in will be the same as previous. Something will likely not go as we plan or would like. That is life. No matter what you do, some things just can't be controlled.

We will try to fairly compare this ship to the others, but not judge it based on the others. Just like meeting a new person, no two are alike.

We plan to report back on CC about our experience, good and bad. But, we will not let our personal choices ruin our outcome. We are sharing 4 to a cabin on this trip. We know its going to be tight. We know there might be issues, but we will not hold that against the ship. And, we will not let it affect how much we enjoy the trip. I know, I've already been told about 4 in a cabin. Well, that's what it is, it isn't going to change, we are going to enjoy the ship.

So, in short, we think it is all about attitude, expectations and stepping back, taking a breath, relaxing and rolling with the punches when they happen. I'm not saying don't have expectations. But, just like in sports and war, every game plan is great until the battle begins, then you can throw out the plan. You just can't let little things ruin the experience.

And, sometimes, I think a little thing (or a couple of them) ruins the entire outlook of the experience in some of the reviews. Not always, but sometimes.

Edited by shellunderwater
Fixed issue in last paragraph.

Thanks to the OP for posting my concers exactly. It goes to show that for every question posted online countless others have the same question.

Thanks everyone for your views on Vision. I am taking my first RCI cruise on her next year. A 15 day transatlantic solo and was cconcerned about the reviews. I am more at ease now. Thanks again.

We're on the same cruise & had some of the same concerns.

Have you joined the roll call yet? If not, come join us. We're not super active but I'm sure as the cruise gets closer we'll be busier. Someone is keeping track of all who have signed up & updates the list as new people sign up. We have a cabin crawl & a slot pull planned. I've never done either so I'm really looking forward to trying them.

Karen

I - too - am considering sailing on the Vision. I am deciding between that and the Disney Fantasy. Both are roughly the same price for a balcony. The Disney Fantasy is a better ship, but the Vision seems to have better ports that week (Fantasy is San Juan and St. Marteen vs. Vision's Hondorus, Belize, and Mexico). I also get some minor perks with my Mlife status.

We just did the Disney Wonder so I am thinking maybe I should switch it back to RCCL.

Any thoughts?

We just got off the Vision 11-29-14 sailing, arrived back on 12-6-14. We had a great time. We found the staff to be very friendly. We had the best room steward Willey Fernandez, he was outstanding. We had the My Time Dinning and had no problems with this. We had excellent service in the MDR and Giovinis and we enjoyed the food. We had some really good meals in the MDR (the Turkey dinner 1st night and the best Beef tenderloin it melted in your mouth and the Duck just to name a few) But the Best Meal was our last night at Giovinis!! We had the filet outstanding service and meal! We ate most mornings at the Park Cafe (they open @ 8am) really good. We also love the roast beef sandwich for lunch at Park Cafe. We did not like the Eggs Benedict in the MDR they were terrible. We had fantastic bar service, Melvin in the Royal Crown Lounge was great! We really enjoyed this cruise as our 1st one as Diamond members we had the best service at the cocktail hour in the Diamond lounge provided by Maurice and Sams! This was 2nd cruise on the Vision last time we were on 2012 11 day Southern Caribbean cruise before the refurbishment.

We just got off the Vision 11-29-14 sailing, arrived back on 12-6-14. We had a great time. We found the staff to be very friendly. We had the best room steward Willey Fernandez, he was outstanding. We had the My Time Dinning and had no problems with this. We had excellent service in the MDR and Giovinis and we enjoyed the food. We had some really good meals in the MDR (the Turkey dinner 1st night and the best Beef tenderloin it melted in your mouth and the Duck just to name a few) But the Best Meal was our last night at Giovinis!! We had the filet outstanding service and meal! We ate most mornings at the Park Cafe (they open @ 8am) really good. We also love the roast beef sandwich for lunch at Park Cafe. We did not like the Eggs Benedict in the MDR they were terrible. We had fantastic bar service, Melvin in the Royal Crown Lounge was great! We really enjoyed this cruise as our 1st one as Diamond members we had the best service at the cocktail hour in the Diamond lounge provided by Maurice and Sams! This was 2nd cruise on the Vision last time we were on 2012 11 day Southern Caribbean cruise before the refurbishment.

Thanks for the positive information Shay. we are head out this Saturday on the Vision and also were on her back The day after Thanksgiving 2012. We had an amazing cruise then and are hoping for the same this time. The reviews can scare people away but you have to take it for what it is worth. We are pretty laid back and unless something absolutely awful happens we wont be complaining. Nothing goes perfect all the time and since I will be sitting on a boat in the Caribbean and not at my desk at work I think I will be doing ok :)

We just spoke with friends who were on the Vision over Thanksgiving. Their main complaint was how long it took to check in. Our friends don't qualify for priority boarding and waited in line for 1 1/2 hours. Also, they said that the food in the buffet wasn't very good. I'm not concerned about that because we prefer the Park Cafe over the buffet. They had My Time Dining and were pleased with the meals and service. Their waiter was Sedric (not sure of the spelling but said it started with an "S"). They recommended that we request him. We depart on the Dec. 20th sailing. Hope the check in issues are resolved by then.

I have been on it twice this fall, and have really enjoyed it!

I have found that people go on the newer ships with all the bells and whistles, and then seem to rate the smaller ones lower because they don't have everything that the bigger (Oasis, Freedom) ships do.

But the crew was great, food was great, and the ship was clean and nice. I will not hesitate to book Vision in the future!

CruisinNole...

We are on the Saturday cruise also....can hardly wait....we have cruised many times in Dec. but never the week of....See you on board!!!!!

We'll be the ones in the My Time Dining room liine asking for Sedrick! I got the correct spelling from my friends. Edited by CruisinNole

For 1st timers, this ship is great! Small enough to be "personal", yet it will feel HUGE upon boarding! The only caveat I have is cabin size....insides and standard cabins are tight...but that's simply the way it is....

I don't thick you need to be concerned at all...and you need to stop reading reviews, and just plan on enjoying your vacation!

I agree...reviews are interesting but almost everything about sailing is so subjective.

We just spoke with friends who were on the Vision over Thanksgiving. Their main complaint was how long it took to check in. Our friends don't qualify for priority boarding and waited in line for 1 1/2 hours. Also, they said that the food in the buffet wasn't very good. I'm not concerned about that because we prefer the Park Cafe over the buffet. They had My Time Dining and were pleased with the meals and service. Their waiter was Sedric (not sure of the spelling but said it started with an "S"). They recommended that we request him. We depart on the Dec. 20th sailing. Hope the check in issues are resolved by then.

Vision had just moved to Tampa and the guess is they didn't mix half of the experienced Brilliance staff with the new Vision staff to help move things a little easier.

If I found the pool bar busy I would walk to the Solarium, and it was not busy. It would be interesting to hear if they still have the 3 tables infront of the pool bar. Schooner bar was great and I had fun with the 5pm trivia.

I found the dinner staff and cabin staff can really vary and it is a little luck of the dice. All the cabin staff on my side of my floor was great. For me it was WJ for most meals. With Vision WJ is smaller but there is some good offerings. Hard working staff and I would eat there at the quieter times.

Remember at MDR or RS ask for more than one item if you want. Your on Vacation.

I believe all of you going forward will have cruise director Steve Davis and not sure if Marvin will be with him. Steve puts on a rocking 70's party.

Above all you are on a cruise, so be flexible and you will have an awesome time. Enjoy Vision; she is a great ship.

I just got off the Vision today. As many have already posted these critiques are subjective. That being said the biggest PITA was boarding. The ships company are all very good IMHO. The specialty restaurants are amazingly good. The ship is big enough not to get bored, and small enough to see the same good people during the entire cruise. As far as the MDR food goes we chose to go the specialty restaurants. If your parents aren't fussy they will have a great time. The ship rocks a bit the DW loves it because it lulls her to sleep. For me the beds are way too hard. The room steward will help you if you also find this true. Debarkation was a hassle but it always is no matter what ship or cruise line.

I suggest that you and your parents have a late breakfast or early lunch and arrive around 2:30 pm to avoid the long embarkation. Also IF they decide to bring wine (you're allowed 2 bottles per stateroom) pack it in your carry on luggage or they will have to make a trip to the naughty room to claim their baggage. Bad things won't happen it's just a minor annoyance.

HTH

Interestingly enough, our disembarking today was very quick and easy. Walked off with our luggage at 7:45 and were waiting for my friend to pick us up less than 35 minutes later.

The people who arrived to embark before 11:30 am apparently had a pretty good experience. But at 12:50 pm it was a travesty.