2 and 5 year old HAL Zaandam, Alaska

cruisinwith2kids

Hi. My extended family just booked a family vacation on Zaandam, Holland America 6/06.

I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old. How is Alaska for young children? Excursions? Cruise itself? Ammenities and conveniences? Pleasures and challenges?

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can share!

Hello Cruising with two kids ...

I too, cruise with two children, though mine are now 5 and 8. When our elder child was 2.5 we went to Alaska (yes, I was pregnant with child #2).

We had an incredible time. We sailed on RCCL, so there are some differences and it was 5 years ago ... however, we found an excursion at each stop that was enjoyable for all of us.

In general, we select (and continue to do so, even though the children are older), excursions that have lots of changes. I recall one excursion in Alaska where we took a bus to about 5 different locations where we could explore each on our own. It was simply awesome. We really got a feel for the area, our son was entertained and educated, as were we.

The whale watching excursion was also incredible ... there was so much to see that it kept our son's interest.

At 2, he was too young to participate in the children's program, however, we've never really made use of any of the children's programs --- at least not in full. What we do make use of is the room, on days when we're permitted to. Just ask the Children's staff when you can accompany the children to the play area. I've also noticed that they have more "family events" on cruises. On our last cruise (to Bermuda) they had family disco, family scavenger hunt, and family bingo ... we all enjoyed these activities.

The children have selected Alaska as their next cruise ... it's a great destination for children!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies!

Here's a further question re: Alaska excursions. I'm noticing in tour brochures such comments as "tour bus" and "paddling" and "helicopter."

Being a practical person...

Do the tour buses etc. have seatbelts? The 2 year old will have to bring along a car seat, of course... Older child will be in a booster and will require a lap/shoulder belt (perhaps I could allow no booster seat for the older, but 2 year old has to be in a seat...) I'm wondering if taking 2 year old in helicopter or whatever would even be manageable. I'm wondering if any excursions will be possible with 2 year old...

Seeking your sage wisdom!

Archived