Room Choices - help needed!

sjlogghe

Going on a girls weekend vacation in February aboard the Carnival Victory. Having a hard time decided what room to pick ... we know we want a balcony. There are 3 of us, in our 30's. Anytime I've cruised with 3 in the past, there is usually a pullout sofa for the 3rd person. I'm finding not a lot of rooms have that on this ship! There are a couple on Deck 6 that have it, however I've heard you can hear all the noise from below so avoid this deck.

Our other options are a room with an upper on deck 7 or 8, or pay about $10 more for a room with sleeper sofa up on deck 11, the spa deck. Didn't know how that would be, being on the top level - camp carnival is up on there, we would be in the room in the opposite corner of that front side from them. Also heard the balcony has no overhang? Which I don't think would really be an issue for us.

An extended aft-view balcony would be about $20-30 more/person, but have a trundle bed for the third person. I've heard to stay away from those, as they are smaller than normal bed - and seems like it would be a hassle to me.

Any advice on any of this?? I guess to make it simpler, my questions are:

What's an upper like?

How is the spa deck - too far away from things, will we regret being close to camp carnival?

Would the aft view balcony be worth the extra money, even with the trundle?? (what is the trundle like - is it a hassle? Would it be okay for someone in their 30's?)

Any help is appreciated!!! Right now, we're leaning towards the balcony on the spa deck and have a hold on one.

Edited by sjlogghe
spelling corrections :)

I would avoid the trundle....

We were just on the Victory in November. There were 4 of us girls for a birthday celebration.

We had a suite as a surprise for the birthday girl.

I slept on the sleeper sofa, and it was very comfy the first two nights. My 24 year old DD was on the trundle the first 2 nights. Terribly uncomfortable, I tried it and couldn't last 5 minutes. She ended up squeezing in with me on the sofa for the rest of the cruise! She's tiny, so it wasn't terrible, but I'll never book in a trundle room again!

We were on deck 6 forward. And it was louder than we expected because of the music in the atrium... Other than that it was a great room. I'd book again for 3 people, knowing the music runs louder than we thought. We were early nighters on this trip, though.... If you are up later it likely wouldn't be an issue.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app via my iPad, pardon the typos!

Rollaway or trundle?

My two daughters and I really enjoyed an aft balcony on the Destiny. Having the larger balcony meant there was plenty of room for the three of us to spend time out there.

We had a rollaway for the third bed. It wasn't as comfy as the beds, but it wasn't bad. We took turns sleeping on it. Well worth it for that balcony!!!

I would think if one trundle or rollaway was uncomfortable, you could ask for a new one.

Peg

Among those choices, I would definitely take the spa deck room. It is a pain to have to use elevators when everyone else on the ship is using them (before/after dining & after shows & getting off/on the ship in port), but the good thing is that you are close to the pools & buffet. I wouldn't worry about the kids, especially since you're on the other side of Camp Carnival.

Have you looked into the possibility of a deck 8 forward room for 4 or a lido deck room for 4, and booking it for 3. The spa deck rooms are also for 4, so you should also be able to book those lower quads also. It's possible that they could all be booked up, but if not, I would look into the ones on deck 8, for the central location, and the ones in the forward do have rooms both above & below. I would go with any from 8276/8277 & forward.

Your past cruises with 3 must have been in a grand suite, if you had a pullout sofa. There aren't too many of those beyond the grand suites & scenic OVs. They usually instead do the sofabed, where the seat of the sofa is the bed.

The Triumph doesn't work like the newer ships. The newer ships will have the 3rd in a sofabed in all standard balconies, but not on Triumph for some reason. The Triumph does have plenty of OVs with a sofabed for the 3rd. I much prefer a sofa to the upper, just because I don't climbing up & down (especially in the middle of the night) or sleeping way up in the air. Other than that, the upper is fine.

Edited by k2excursion

Thanks for the responses! I think we're going to go with Deck 11. I don't think I want to take a chance with the trundle - I guess would rather do something I know will be ok rather than a shot in the dark.

And I'm thinking it might be nice to be close to the spa! :o

Among those choices, I would definitely take the spa deck room. It is a pain to have to use elevators when everyone else on the ship is using them (before/after dining & after shows & getting off/on the ship in port), but the good thing is that you are close to the pools & buffet. I wouldn't worry about the kids, especially since you're on the other side of Camp Carnival.

Have you looked into the possibility of a deck 8 forward room for 4 or a lido deck room for 4, and booking it for 3. The spa deck rooms are also for 4, so you should also be able to book those lower quads also. It's possible that they could all be booked up, but if not, I would look into the ones on deck 8, for the central location, and the ones in the forward do have rooms both above & below. I would go with any from 8276/8277 & forward.

Your past cruises with 3 must have been in a grand suite, if you had a pullout sofa. There aren't too many of those beyond the grand suites & scenic OVs. They usually instead do the sofabed, where the seat of the sofa is the bed.

The Triumph doesn't work like the newer ships. The newer ships will have the 3rd in a sofabed in all standard balconies, but not on Triumph for some reason. The Triumph does have plenty of OVs with a sofabed for the 3rd. I much prefer a sofa to the upper, just because I don't climbing up & down (especially in the middle of the night) or sleeping way up in the air. Other than that, the upper is fine.

We were posting at the same time! Thanks for your input. I meant the sofabed - not pullout sofa. Spent 15 nights on one, and slept just fine! Had a pullout sofa on Celebrity in a family balcony room - not Carnival.

I'll look into the rooms for 4 on deck 8, thanks!