Sharing internet minutes

zeva1960

Purchase of internet minutes

I'm packing as we speak for NCL Breakaway on December 14/14 and my son is wondering if he should bring his ipad since I'm bringing mine and work off my hot spot when I purchase internet minutes on board. Does this work so we can save money on purchased minutes or does ge have to buy his own minutes?

If I understand you, you will purchase internet time/quantity-if available, through the ship? If so, hotspot isn't needed. You can each log into the account directly on each ipad, but I don't know if simultaneously. Be aware that the connection can be very slow. Early in the morning seems good. Also, if you have an app that detects signals, you can find a spot where the signal is strong and stable (where a router is located). And, yes, hotspots work off of cellular connections. While voice and text may work from the ship at sea, I don't know about data. I'm pretty sure the cost would be very high.

Sent from my son's iPad using Tapatalk

One doesn't need cellular connection to share, but the tablet can't handle two separate WiFi connections simultaneously so sharing the connection via WiFi from a tablet already using ship's WiFi is impossible.

When a device has more than one available connection, it can share one to another - for example I always use my laptop to connect to ship's WiFi and share the connection to our another laptop via an Ethernet cable between the machines.

Edited by Demonyte

When a device has more than one available connection, it can share one to another - for example I always use my laptop to connect to ship's WiFi and share the connection to our another laptop via an Ethernet cable between the machines.

I understand tethering from one connection. On a ship, what would be the source of the other(s) connection(s)?

While tethered, does each device count off minutes from the plan, or does the connection simply alternate for the data exchanges? TIA

Yes, that is so if by quantity. Also, BA and GA are supposed to have faster speeds than other ships. I'm still curious about other sources. I may be missing out!

Just some info on a high and low from the signal on Epic. Of course, this doesn't consider amount of pull on the system. Screenshots were too small to see. Low was 18Mbps; high was 54Mbps.

Edited by Rhea98

You guys have lost me......I'm electronically challenged...lol. I did notice however that iConceirge has a feature that allows all devices that download it to sent texts or emails between them. Does anyone know how much this service costs?

Also, does anyone know if the tv's in the cabins can have game systems connected to them?

Edited by zeva1960

You guys have lost me......I'm electronically challenged...lol. I did notice however that iConceirge has a feature that allows all devices that download it to sent texts or emails between them. Does anyone know how much this service costs?

Also, does anyone know if the tv's in the cabins can have game systems connected to them?

When last I was on the BA, texts and calls between iConcierge users was $8 per device for the whole cruise. I don't think that has gone up.

TVs do not have game systems connected to them.

I did notice however that iConceirge has a feature that allows all devices that download it to sent texts or emails between them. Does anyone know how much this service costs?

Yes, $8./device. On the Epic with slower web speed, probably. Text/phone calls through the app-not through your phone/text phone apps. Unlimited onship communication for the $8. fee. It can be finicky, but I've gotten texts to work most of the time. Also, as someone noted, you can make ship-to-shore calls for $.79/minute. I only tried it once. It took three tries talk get through (from deck 14 cabin). The quality was excellent on both ends. We only talked a minute, and he never tried calling me which is also a feature ($.79/min).

Edited by Rhea98