Hoyer lift on board

BobbyBoston33

Does anyone have experience with hoyer lifts on board?? We have rented power chairs for my wife twice before and been happy with the results. I want to be sure the lift will get her on and off 1) the bed, 2) the power chair, and 3) the toilet.

I have spoken several times to both Princess and Special Needs at Sea and gotten varied responses, including today Special Needs said it may not get her on the toilet. That won't accommodate our needs, but doesn't sound logical.

Any input, good or bad would be appreciated. Thanks.

We traveled with our own lift, so didn't have to deal with this, but you should ask about the specific brand & model of lift you will be getting (Hoyer is a brand which makes several models, but there are many others) along with the type of sling(s) being provided. You might want to bring your own sling if they cannot provide a "hygiene" type sling that would allow you to get onto the toilet with the necessary body parts exposed through the bottom of the sling. Also, assuming you have an accessible cabin, since regular cabins have a step up into the bathroom and cannot accommodate a lift.

Thanks for the response, I will ask that. I have explained to both Princess and Special Needs that the Hoyer has not been useful in our home because the legs won't go under the bed and are too long to get her on the toilet correctly.

(We have gone to a ceiling mounted electric lift at home.) Both parties have been helpful, the woman at Princess is contacting previous passengers.

My understanding is that Hoyer is almost a generic name for lifts in general, and I will need to be specific as you suggest. It just seems odd to me that there isn't a clearer understanding. If it was messing things up, they surely would have heard.

Thanks for your help.

my son is a quad so we need hoyer type lifts and electric hospital type beds. We have rented both from Special needs at Sea and Care Vacations. It seems Special needs at Sea has ability to deliver more easily at some ports. check both companies for availability and price. Both companies gave been very reliable and easy to deal with. both will deliver to both hotel and ship if needed. Enjoy your cruise