Caribbean Treasures 2015 - Change of Itinerary

CHANGE OF ISLAND ITINERARY - CARIBBEAN TREASURES 2015

I have just been talking to Thomsons about our cruise in March 2015.

We are cruising in the Caribbean doing the Latin Gems and

Caribbean Treasures cruises back to back.

I found out while checking dates BEFORE booking a helicopter ride in Antigua, that our island itinerary for our second week has changed - so its a good job I checked before booking and paying!!!!

Sun March 22 - Barbados - unchanged

Mon March 23 - Day at Sea - unchanged

Tue March 24 - Was Antigua - NOW ST KITTS

Wed March 25 - Was St Maarten - NOW TORTOLA

Thu March 26 - Was St Kitts - NOW St MAARTEN

Fri March 27 - Was St Barts - NOW ANTIGUA

Sat March 28 - Dominica - unchanged

Although I was told this is unofficial at the moment, cruisers will probably be notified this coming week via email.

Hope this doesn't disappoint or disrupt anyone's holiday, we are actually very very pleased as we loved Tortola so much back in 2011, and this time we get to spend the whole day there!

Also I found out that we could book the helicopter trip through Thomsons and although is not quite the trip we were considering - only a 20 min flight instead of a 30 minute flight - it is probably a safer deal to be covered by

Thomson's inclusive arrangements.

Tortola is a beautiful place and we loved Cane Garden Bay back in 2011.

Here is a little animation showing a day's weather in The British Virgin Islands which is taken from a webcam looking back on Tortola

http://www.dysongs.net/holidays/caribbean2015/tortolatimelapse.htm

We were on Dream 23rd February to 9th March 2014 and our itinerary was changed but we were not told why and it seemed strange as it did not appear to be because there were too many ships in port.

It was when we were actually on the cruise that the mystery MAY have been solved. An international cricket match was being played on one of the islands we were visiting that day and it was possibly thought that the island facilities (eg taxis) would not be able to cope with the invasion of cricket spectators plus a cruise ship so the island visits were swopped around. I am sure it was Antigua where the match was being played.

On Celebration on Caribbean Quest a couple of weeks ago, we anchored at Tortola (Road Town), and went ashore by ship's tender.

There a big terminal and duty free village being built, so I imagine a tender will be standard practice for a while to come.

I'm glad that we were the only cruise ship at Road Town, as there's v.little to do there if you don't take a trip.

Nice job on the time lapse Kev :D

If you fancy a change from Cane Garden I can recommend Virgin Gorda.

If you are mobile it's a great place to go, you have to be fairly mobile to get through the trail, but it's worth it.

aui51u.jpg

When we went, Thomson wanted around £10 each more than the trip from the quayside, we booked with them as we thought it wasn't worth getting stranded on a different Island for the sake of a tenner.

Some more pics here:

https://joeholiday2.shutterfly.com/pictures/1575

Great pics joe! We were just clicking through and got to one and both said 'Wow!'. Checked out where it was and...........Church Valley! :D Figures!!!!! Did you go to Ocean's Bar on the Carenage at Grenada? One of our favourite spots - and really good cocktails! ;) Brings back some great memories!

On Celebration on Caribbean Quest a couple of weeks ago, we anchored at Tortola (Road Town), and went ashore by ship's tender.

There a big terminal and duty free village being built, so I imagine a tender will be standard practice for a while to come.

I'm glad that we were the only cruise ship at Road Town, as there's v.little to do there if you don't take a trip.

So..........from what you say there's no berthing at Tortola at all currently? We're there next month - might need to modify our plans if it's a tender - no idea how long big ships take to get you all on land! :rolleyes:

Great pics joe! We were just clicking through and got to one and both said 'Wow!'. Checked out where it was and...........Church Valley! :D Figures!!!!! Did you go to Ocean's Bar on the Carenage at Grenada? One of our favourite spots - and really good cocktails! ;) Brings back some great memories!

We never had a drink there, is that the one close to the tunnel?

I remember you waxing lyrical about the amount of alcohol in the drinks....hic..

It's nice walking around there, we have always headed for Grand Anse as well, getting the local bus rather than the tourist water taxi, you get dropped off at the roundabout, it's closer to the middle of the beach and away from all those Bl**dy cruisers...:p

We never had a drink there, is that the one close to the tunnel?

I remember you waxing lyrical about the amount of alcohol in the drinks....hic..

It's nice walking around there, we have always headed for Grand Anse as well, getting the local bus rather than the tourist water taxi, you get dropped off at the roundabout, it's closer to the middle of the beach and away from all those Bl**dy cruisers...:p

As you exit the tunnel, look right and Ocean Bar is the one on stilts sticking out into the water. Great spot!

Yes that's the way we usually plan our day too - Grande Anse followed by a wander round the Carenage - and a visit to Ocean Bar! We've never tried the bus though but did once go by taxi - I guess that dropped us near the bus stop - was it on the far side and through the craft market?

As you exit the tunnel, look right and Ocean Bar is the one on stilts sticking out into the water. Great spot!

Yes that's the way we usually plan our day too - Grande Anse followed by a wander round the Carenage - and a visit to Ocean Bar! We've never tried the bus though but did once go by taxi - I guess that dropped us near the bus stop - was it on the far side and through the craft market?

There is a bus stop near the market, but we go one stop more to the roundabout. It's quieter down there, and a nice walk along the beach past the expensive Hotels.

First time we went, we docked in the Carenage on Destiny, the main port was full of floating shopping malls. What a great sail in. :D

There is a bus stop near the market, but we go one stop more to the roundabout. It's quieter down there, and a nice walk along the beach past the expensive Hotels.

First time we went, we docked in the Carenage on Destiny, the main port was full of floating shopping malls. What a great sail in. :D

Thanks for that info joe. :) Grenada is one of our favourite Caribbean ports. It was a tough call but that was the port which swayed us into the choice of itinerary this year. You could tell it was a tester as Antigua was the one which was lost as a consequence. :rolleyes: