Amber Cove replacing LaRomana

cruiseaway7522

I do not believe that "replace" is the correct word to describe what is going on. I believe the announcement stated that some cruises on 5 ships have Amber Cove as a port. There is no statement that La Romana will no longer be used. In fact there are quite a few cruises in the October 2015 to January 2016 timeframe that still have La Romana as a port of call. To try to change the announcement to mean that Amber Cove is permanently replacing La Romana points to some form of faulty reading.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

USA Today reports that:

Carnival Cruise Lines' new Amber Cove port of call in the Dominican Republic will be ready for guests on Oct. 6, 2015.

The new port has been in the works since May 2012. It is situated on the north coast of the Dominican Republic, near Puerto Plata.

Dual berths will accommodate two of Carnival's largest ships simultaneously. A spokeswoman said the itinerary changes to Amber Cove include substituting Amber Cove for an existing port of call to a complete itinerary change for some ships.

The line said it has scheduled 37 calls in Amber Cove from October 2015 to April 2016. Eight different ships will call there, including its Breeze, Glory, Splendor and Victory ships from Miami, the Valor and Sunshine ships from Port Canaveral, its Conquest ship from Fort Lauderdale and the Fantasy from Charleston, S.C.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We got the email and in no way did it say that anything was being replaced. All it said was a change in itinerary. Personally I think it's a nice breath of fresh air to have a new place to go. Even if it is a Carnival operated port, you can still go past the gates of the port and look past whats out there.

That's why in my thread I called it a swap. I remember JH asking on his Facebook page something about ports and which would you rather go to etc. I do know there are a lot of people who love Nassau, but I know there's a lot of people who are tired of it too. For us, we didn't book this cruise for it. It just happened to be on our Eastern route and it was accompanied with other ports we did want to visit. But honestly, I think for a lot of people it will be nice to have a new fresh place to visit. I sincerely don't think carnival has any intention of "replacing" any ports with Amber Cove, though!

• 1 year later...

Woah, this thread is like Jesus...resurrected after two years! :)

Hi there, is there much of a difference between amber cove and La romana port in DR? (is there a beach close to each port?)

lisa

Can't speak for La Romana, but I've been to Amber Cove and there is no beach near the pier. There is a very large pool with tons of loungers there -- all free -- as well as cabanas to rent (over the water, poolside and hillside), a zipline ($20 for an adult all-day pass), and some free water slides. It's a very nice port.

Never saw a single fly or mosquito while we were there...and we went away from the port area to a lush resort for an all-inclusive.

--But now your postcount := postcount +1, and that's all that matters. :rolleyes:

Don't be so snippy. There may have been no fly's or mosquito's in October, but with the recent flooding, there have been reports of an infestation.