Victor Bodden Add-on Off-Shore Snorkeling by Boat

TravelingMommy

My family and I will be in Roatan in January. We have booked a private tour with Bodden Tours and are working on our itinerary. Does anyone here have personal experience with Bodden's add on option of off-shore snorkeling by boat?

My children have never snorkeled before and we are looking forward to them having the opportunity on this cruise. They are both strong swimmer and very comfortable in the water. I know they can snorkel from shore in Roatan but was wondering if it was worth it to do it from a boat. Specifically, will we see a lot more? And, can we expect more personalized instruction? We will also be stopping in Belize on this trip, but I'm not sure if we will be snorkeling there.

Thank you for your help and any advice.

• 3 weeks later...

We have snorkeled using the boat once. The guide was great. He had two young men with him that day too. I had never snorkeled before and was afraid to go. One of the young men stayed with me and I hung onto him the whole time. He showed me things to look at. The boat only went out a short ways from shore. My husband was not happy with that but for me... I felt safe. The water was deeper here than on West End(????) Here you do not have to worry about the coral. I believe you will enjoy the boat and the safe area.

We now go to the other side West End(?). When looking at the water go as far left as you can go. Walk into the water....WOW!!!!!! You can see fish under your feet. Swim in the coral area. Stingrays, bright blue fish and much more. Be careful!!!! The coral can cut you up and it hurts for days. It can be a nasty cut. When done, walk up the beach for some lunch(Bananarama) and enjoy your day. We bring our own snorkel gear with us. Get it at a sports store at home and bring it. Just make sure the fins fit into your carryon suitcase. Are you going to see the monkeys????

I have no idea about Belize. We stay on the ship!

Relax and enjoy life.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering the same thing about adding on the boat portion. We did VB Tours last year and were VERY impressed, but did not do the boat portion. This year we have more time on Roatan and I am thinking of adding it, but was hoping to go further out than the previous poster described. We did find great snorkeling as the PP also said by going all the way down to the "left" on the beach until there's almost a rock wall. That is where there is GREAT snorkeling in about 4-7 feet of water. It is past the Paradise Beach and Infinity bay beach resorts. I think this part of the island is called West Bay and the shopping portion West End but I could be wrong (we never went to the shopping portion). Thx! IF you decide to try the boat, let me know - we don't go til June. Thx.