Information about hotels in Vancourver

funtimer

We are ending our Alaskan cruise in Vancouver and plan to stay there a couple of days. Where is a good, reasonable hotel? Is it better to stay near the port and take transportation into the city or to stay in the city?

Funtimer

There are two cruise docks in Vancouver, the most central being Canada Place. However, as TrentS stated, they're both in the city. If you're spending a couple of days here, you should stay downtown.

What is your definition of 'reasonable'? You can get a 4* hotel on Priceline for a very reasonable price relative to the normal rack rates. Some of the hotels that have come up are the Hyatt, Sheraton Wall Centre and Westin Bayshore - all very nice hotels.

Can you be more specific about the type of hotel you're looking for?

ell

Thank you for your replies. We will be on the Coral Princess, coming into the port in Vancouver on Saturday, Sept 17. I don't know which dock the Coral Princess will be mooring. Reasonable to me is under a $100, preferably around $60-70. I plan to use priceline once I get some idea of hotels to try.

funtimer

The Coral Princess (my favourite ship) docks at Canada Place. All downtown hotels are a short cab ride away.

You should be able to get a 3* Priceline hotel within your price range and maybe a 4* if you're lucky and prices drop in September. Just make sure you bid "Downtown" and know exactly what your free re-bids are. If you're not familiar with bidding and re-bids, make sure you read up on it at BetterBidding or BiddingForTravel.

ell

Pan Pacific is beautiul.

I am a fan of the Fairmont Hotels which used to be the Canadian Pacific hotels that were own by the railroad. They own Cheatau Whistler, The Banff Springs Hotel and they have two in Vancouver.

We are ending our Alaskan cruise in Vancouver and plan to stay there a couple of days. Where is a good, reasonable hotel? Is it better to stay near the port and take transportation into the city or to stay in the city?

Funtimer

Hi Funtimer,

I used to live in Vancouver. Two of the closest downtown hotels (pan pacific, waterfront are right at the Canada Place cruisehip dock). You can walk there. Pan Pacific is in the same building as the cruiseship terminal.

My all-time favourite hotel is the Fairmont Hotel at the Vancouver Airport. We always have the best sleep there!

If you need to ask me about any other hotel, just email me, and I'll do my best to help you out!

kathy

Based on what funtimer said:

Reasonable to me is under a $100, preferably around $60-70. I plan to use priceline once I get some idea of hotels to try.

Both the Fairmont and Pan Pacific are well above this price range. I have never seen them come up on Priceline and even if they did, I highly doubt they'd be under $100.

ell

Based on what funtimer said:

Both the Fairmont and Pan Pacific are well above this price range. I have never seen them come up on Priceline and even if they did, I highly doubt they'd be under $100.

ell

Yes, I didn't notice that you wanted under $100. That actually will be hard to find right in Vancouver. There are some dumpy hotels there that I noticed were charging $175 CDN for a night!!!! No way I'd stay in those hotels. If you find any on priceline, email me the names, and I'll rack my brain! :)

I found several hotels on Expedia and Priceline that were just a little above $100. Would recommend any of these with regards to good location and nice accomodations:

Ramada Inn & Suites Downtown

Sandman Hotel

Best Western Downtown

Empire Landmark Hotel & Convention Center

Bosmans Hotel

Holiday Inn Vancouver

Blue Horizon

Thanks

We stayed at the Vancouver Hyatt in May. I won it on PL for $65. This property is wonderful and a short walk from the pier if you do not have too much luggage. Lots of great restaurants within walking distance. The Vancouver Trolley stops just behind the hotel. It is a 12 stop tourist trolley that takes you all around Vancouver for about $10 or $12 pp. You can get on and off at the stops and then just pick up the next trolley to work your way down the route!! Have fun.

If priceline scares you - try hotwire - sort of the same thing, but you don't bid you just are not sure of the identity of the hotel until after you bid. BUT if you look into betterbidding.com and the hotewire forum they pretty much tell you which hotel you are bidding on by the clues listed.

I managed to get the Sheraton Wall Centre for 86. US per night - which is a pretty good deal!

Good luck!

Hi Funtimer,

I feel sick. I wrote this huge thing about all the hotels, and cruisecritic.com froze on me, and lost everything I wrote!!!! I will try to remember everything…

Ramada Inn & Suites == on Granville street. Very central to everything! Granville street has lots of street kids. Kinda scary at night-time (for me anyways).

Sandman Hotel == on West Georgia street. I have stayed here about 15 years ago. A few streets from the main drags (Granville/Robson). Across the street from the “Stadium Skytrain station”. Beside the huge Pacific Place stadium.

Best Western Downtown == on the website it says it is one of Vancouver’s newest hotel on Drake street (near Davie street). It is a little bit further away from everything. But being a newer hotel is kind of nice. You would be closer to the Granville street bridge, and under that on the other side is the awesome “Granville Street Market”. You can take a cute little water taxi to the other side.

Empire Landmark == older hotel on Robson street (very funky cool street, busy during the day and busy at night!). Lots of stores open late here. Great restaurants. The hotel is older.

Bosmans hotel == eeew. No. enough said.

Holiday Inn Vancouver == Across Granville street bridge on West Broadway street. A fair distance from downtown Vancouver. Not much to do on Broadway at all. You’d have to taxi or bus into town. I would only stay here if it was an awesome deal.

Blue Horizon == on Robson Street. Another old hotel. Don’t know much about it, but good location.

And, as was suggested, Hyatt Downtown. On the website, it said that it had an $18M renovation in 2002 – so it sounds really nice. VERY central. Across the street from Pacific Place Mall (huge underground mall), and also home to the “Granville Street sky train station”.

I think of all of these, I personally would stay at the Hyatt (great location) or possible one of the ones on Robson street (see if they are rated on epinions.com or somewhere).

I hope these help you out some. If you find any more, just ask away!

kathy

• 2 weeks later...

You can get a 4* hotel on Priceline for a very reasonable price relative to the normal rack rates.

ell

I've never used Priceline but would like to try it when we go to Vancouver for our cruise on the Sernade. How far in advance should you bid/book on Priceline?

Thanks, cruising3:)

It doesn't hurt to try early. We've done both - bid early and later - and gotten good deals both ways. It's really dependant on what's available for your dates and whether more inventory is available closer to your departure.

It's alsoo a good idea to have a backup hotel with a cancellable reservation, just in case you don't get what you want. Although in the case of Vancouver, I'm sure you'll get something reasonable. :)

Stayed there about 2 years ago, very convenient location, nice views and the rooms were huge and modern. Small cafe in lobby area for breakfast. Walked to other restaurants and attractions in town but used our car to get to Granville Island area. Vancouver is pretty compact and walkable in my opinion. Fun city!

Hi:

I live in Vancouver and am an experienced priceliner..

Bid 4* Vancouver at $80

Re-bids:

Add Surrey $90

Add Delta $95

Add Langley $100

Based on recent bidding histories - you should end up with either:

Sheraton Wall Center

Westin Bayshore

Hyatt

or Westin Bayshore

All great downtown hotels

cheers, Peter and good luck