Help! Are "X" liable for any compensation here

Shorebirdee

canderson-

-Any chance that would have been the 7 December '03 cruise (50/50, since there were only two that month!). I've never been on a cruise where so many passengers weren't alive to finish the cruise. Talk about ruining a cruise.

Yup, that was the one. I believe we set some kind of record for number of passengers that passed away in the 14 day time period- five or six? It got to the point that when we got to the dinner table every night we were looking around to be sure everyone was there.

Didn't ruin the cruise for us- made us sad for those who lost their loved ones however and perhaps appreciate each other more. The heart attack was a young man, however most of the others were older folks- hey if you've reached a certain age-- not a bad place to go in my book. Better on a cruise ship than a "retirement" home.

For the record, PeteMan is not exactly objective and unbaised. He has posted numerous times repeatedly and aggressively trying to convince everyone that he deserves a full day's rebate and future cruise credit because one of his ports was cancelled.

Sorry, don't agree with you here. I do not consider any of my comments to be have been aggressive in any way. All of I have done is (calmly) argued my case. The article I posted above was from the BBC an organisation that is hightly respected around the world.

On our July 23 Med/Greek Isles cruise, we had Mykonos and Kusadasi, Turkey, cancelled and I heard no one grousing about how they deserved rebates and credit.

I think that the troubles you refer to were as a result of terrorist acts, this is quite different to engine problems. I would certainly not complain about any actions that the cruise line took in response to terrorist acts.

However, I would like to say that outbreaks of stomach problems can be as a result of the way a ship is run. Here in the UK we have "Holidays from Hell" TV programmes. Some ships keep popping up as being prone to these outbreaks. Other ships and cruise lines suffer far fewer problems, Celebrity being one.

I'm not saying that every time you get stomach problems you should complain and run to your lawyer. But if a ship consistently has a far higher incidence of these problems then you have to ask why.

Yup, that was the one. I believe we set some kind of record for number of passengers that passed away in the 14 day time period- five or six? It got to the point that when we got to the dinner table every night we were looking around to be sure everyone was there.
We missed a port on that cruise since we had to double back to Huatulco to drop someone off that was in bad shape. I don't recall everyone harping about compensation then, either.

Didn't ruin the cruise for us- made us sad for those who lost their loved ones however and perhaps appreciate each other more. The heart attack was a young man, however most of the others were older folks- hey if you've reached a certain age-- not a bad place to go in my book. Better on a cruise ship than a "retirement" home.
Glad to hear you weren't one of the effected. I was thinking more along the lines of how it ruined the cruises of those (and it must have been a fair number) who were travelling with these folks.

The article I posted above was from the BBC an organisation that is hightly respected around the world.
While that may have once been true, it's garnered its fair share of criticism in recent years, and its political bias duly noted and questioned.

However, I would like to say that outbreaks of stomach problems can be as a result of the way a ship is run.
And to be completely fair, they can and will occur no matter how the ship is run. It's a bit like the dress code -- Celebrity tries to produce a good outcome for its passengers, but some things actually require the active cooperation of the passengers, and that cooperation not always forthcoming.

I'm not saying that every time you get stomach problems you should complain and run to your lawyer. But if a ship consistently has a far higher incidence of these problems then you have to ask why.
One could imagine any number of causes, even the demographics of the passenger manifest...

I recall immediately the commercial where the kid (probably about 7 yrs old) says "Washing your hands is stupid".

Knowing that certain lines draw more kids, wouldn't you imagine that these lines might have a somewhat higher rate of infection during outbreaks? I can only imagine that this would be the case (ask anyone who has ever spent any significant time in a pre-school).

Conversely, do these noro-nasties have any greater tendency to spread when the immune systems of the population are on the whole, weaker or more compromised due to age and other factors? I'm not sure if that's the case, but it's another factor to consider.

It would be an interesting set of studies.

Nah, the only people who ever complain about the BBC are our government!

It's an interesting point about demographics and all thing being equal this must certainly be a factor. Having a nine year old son I know too well how mucky little boys can be.

Nah, the only people who ever complain about the BBC are our government!
With Labor in the majority, that should give you some idea just how far the BBC had been leaning.

It's an interesting point about demographics and all thing being equal this must certainly be a factor. Having a nine year old son I know too well how mucky little boys can be.
We have a grandson now nearly 3, and he's started doing some pre-school/day-care on Friday mornings. While he normally hasn't been a sick kid prior to this, he's managed to come down with everything imaginable since beginning there. They say it's good for the immune system to have something to do early in life, but I wish he could do that and then leave the bugs at school instead of bringing them home with him!

We've taken him on two cruises now, and none of us have ever picked up anything at all. In fact, my wife and I have never been ill on a cruise yet (fingers crossed) and take no special precautions beyond basic regular handwashing.

I am sure some of you will remember the SARS scare, and being asked at dockside just before boarding about possible symptoms. I wonder if anyone was ever refused passage because of affirmative

answers. I also would think that in such a case, that is, refusal to board, a full refund would be required.

• 1 month later...

Archived