Getaway large Balcony

martyandjanice

I am booking a large balcony on the Getaway in August. I wanted to get other opinions of this option. I know they are somewhat exposed, but do you find that an annoyance or a pleasure? Are they particularly windy? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! I am planning on Port side Fwd.

When you say exposed, that just means it's a little less private, as people above can look down into the front part of your balcony, and depending on where the sun is, it may be quite sunny at times. I don't see any problem with it, most people would enjoy the extra space. The normal balconies on Getaway are teeny tiny. There is a reason they cost more than regular balconies.

We experienced the smallest and largest balcony on our Getaway cruise 2 weeks ago. Long story short, noise issues from Spice H2O in 14278, they were able to move us on Day 3.

We were in 14278, aft facing. Smallest balcony, full walls, and fully covered above. Approx. 8' x 5'

Then we moved to cabin 9918, again aft facing. HUGE balcony. The back of the ship is made in an angle, and from Deck 9, largest, to deck 14 are the smallest balconies. I forgot to take a picture, but it was approx. 8' by 20'. It too, was fully covered by walls, and the ceiling covered 85% of the balcony.

Look at the deck plans on this site, you'll notice a ton of white space at the back of the ship, that's your balcony size. It was almost the size of our room.

I am booking a large balcony on the Getaway in August. I wanted to get other opinions of this option. I know they are somewhat exposed, but do you find that an annoyance or a pleasure? Are they particularly windy? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! I am planning on Port side Fwd.

We are looking into the Large balcony too on the Getaway but in October due to the regular balcony sizes. We would love to book an aft facing balcony, but can't justify the $1000 extra, even though it is our honeymoon vacation. My concern is being so far forward and on desk nine, it looks like just cabins are above and below us, but other reviews I read online for desk nine say the crew's bar is below and can get very noisy. Plus it can get really noisy when they are docking and leaving the port?? Anyone else know this to be true?? I'm also wondering if we booked with the promo that they have now -- free beverage package, and the price decreased-- would NCL honor it?

Here's a link to a spreadsheet I save showing the sizes by category of the balcony's.:D Hope this is accurate and helps!;)

Thank you!

I'm goign to to with it has to be accurate cause they wouldn't change the sizes after it was built-- but I'll make sure it's correct before we book based on this spreadsheet.

Am I misunderstanding the location of the large balconies? I thought they were only on deck nine forward? Are they on another deck too? & Being so forward--- do you feel more movement than other parts of the ship? I've been midship, and aft before--- just wondering if we'll have issues with being so forward?

Am I misunderstanding the location of the large balconies? I thought they were only on deck nine forward? Are they on another deck too? & Being so forward--- do you feel more movement than other parts of the ship? I've been midship, and aft before--- just wondering if we'll have issues with being so forward?

Deck 9 forward is Large Balcony staterooms (Category B6), Deck 8 is Mini-Suite with Large Balcony (M6). I actually misunderstood the post. But I didn't have any issues with movement, we rarely felt like we were moving at all except for one evening. Actually we felt lots of movement on the top deck aft during the Glow party.

The cruise before this we were on the Jewel deck 12 (I think), maybe deck 11, midship and boy did we feel the motion. It took almost 2 weeks for my brain to realize we were back on land.

We were in a large balcony M6 on Breakaway room 8130.....

Great pics looking up from your M6. Rarely posted pics. Thanks for sharing. Are the B6's above your M6 captured in your pics? It doesn't seem to me. ? ? ? Is it just the angle? ? ?

Any and all input appreciated.

TIA

ETA; I guess that is the B6's shown in the pics. It sure doesn't look like a problem, as some other aerial photos may imply. ;)

:D

Edited by bear3412

Let me reword; Thanks for that confirmation that the B6's were in fact not captured in those images. My bad. And I apologize for my belligerence in my PP.

I will now go wither under my pillow throughout Xmas. :p

After rereading my post I have come to a realization that ....

:D

The pics were taken from our M6. You are correct that the B6 is not shown. I will check through my pictures and see if I have one that shows it.

ETA: Bear, please feel free to use any pictures you would like in the spreadsheet.

Edited by ncklhaus
Note to Bear

I just recently sailed on the getaway and was in cabin 9116. The cabin was great, had a lot of storage, the bed was near the balcony, and the balcony was larger than others. I personally feel that all balconies should be this size. The only time being exposed was a problem was when it rained, but other than that, no problem at all. The waters were choppy so movement was felt throughout the ship practically the entire week. The only problem I had was the long walk down the hall to get to my cabin, would have preferred one closer to the stairs/elevator. My mom was booked in a mini-suite right as you get off the elevator and that was great! However, her balcony was like a shoe box, but her bathroom was great. We had sailed on the getaway back in May and I had a mini-suite with a large balcony and the balcony was bigger than the B6 I was just in, but the cabin itself seemed the same size other than the bigger bathroom. The ship itself is amazing, however, I felt the food was not. I don't remember the food being that bad back in May. This was the first cruise my family and I didn't gain weight on! Anyways, I'm sure you will have an amazing time on this amazing ship...enjoy your cruise!

I just recently sailed on the getaway and was in cabin 9116. The cabin was great, had a lot of storage, the bed was near the balcony, and the balcony was larger than others. I personally feel that all balconies should be this size. The only time being exposed was a problem was when it rained, but other than that, no problem at all. The waters were choppy so movement was felt throughout the ship practically the entire week. The only problem I had was the long walk down the hall to get to my cabin, would have preferred one closer to the stairs/elevator. My mom was booked in a mini-suite right as you get off the elevator and that was great! However, her balcony was like a shoe box, but her bathroom was great. We had sailed on the getaway back in May and I had a mini-suite with a large balcony and the balcony was bigger than the B6 I was just in, but the cabin itself seemed the same size other than the bigger bathroom. The ship itself is amazing, however, I felt the food was not. I don't remember the food being that bad back in May. This was the first cruise my family and I didn't gain weight on! Anyways, I'm sure you will have an amazing time on this amazing ship...enjoy your cruise!

Did you eat at any of the specialty restaurants or just the dining rooms? Curious. I've been on one ncl cruise before and found the food in the mdr decent.

We did not eat at any of the specialty restaurants this time, but did back in May and we felt that the food was just as good in the main dining rooms. However, this time the food in the main dining room was not as good and the service was very slow, from start to finish it took about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. We did not even attempt the specialty restaurants this time because we felt that the quality has probably gone down throughout the ship. After speaking with several crew members we have come to the conclusion that NCL is finding ways to cut costs. They no longer offer lobster complimentary and they no longer have the chocolate buffet and I am pretty sure they have cut cost with the food throughout the ship. But the ship is still amazing and the entertainment is superb and the Illusionarium is well worth the price. We had floor seats and sat at table 3 which was fantastic, just make sure you get in line at least an hour early to assure a good seat. We had the same cruise director, Joel (Jersey Boy) and he was just as energetic as we remembered. I must say that this time I had a wonderful cabin steward and my daughter who was in another cabin a little ways from mine was super as well. When we sailed in May my steward was horrible, she hardly ever serviced my cabin and was down right rude to me. I honestly believe she was afraid to come into my cabin. I think she thought I was contagious or something as I have a tracheostomy. Sorry, I sort of got off subject, but I really do love the Getaway and I'm sure despite the food we will sail her again!

We just sailed on Getaway in cabin 9112,also a large balcony. No problems with wind at all. The balcony was large enough for us and the four friends we were traveling with to enjoy. We used the balcony a lot on this cruise and found it to be worth the extra money.

We also ate in the Brazillian steakhouse "Moderno" twice. It was very nice and I'd recommend it. I've seen some complaints about slow service in the main dining rooms, but we did not encounter that. We opted for the smaller "Taste" and "Savor" dining rooms and had good service in both. If you eat in "Savor" ask for Rowena, she was awesome. The buffet on this ship was crazy busy and was a real turn off for us. I would recommend finding the "Flamingo grill" on deck 16 aft - Cuban food - buffet style and decent. In the morning they do eggs to order and you generally won't find the huge lines found in the buffet. The only problem with this venue is it has limited hours, so check the freestyle daily to be sure it's open.

Very interesting thread for me.

We have a B2B on the Getaway in April and have a B6 for the first week followed by a B1 (9320) for the second week.

More pictures would be great!!!!

Be sure to take some pictures of your cabin and large balcony. From the outside too if possible. What is the cabin number of your B6? I will be in 9132.

Edited by martyandjanice