Celebrity Summit 12/13/2014 Trip Report - Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua...

jb008

Can you tell me what pier the Summit sails from in San Juan? We have a private tour booked for debarkation day and the tour operator thinks we will be at the Isle Grande terminal. I thought it was the old San Juan terminal... This is for the sailing on January 31. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Can you tell me what pier the Summit sails from in San Juan? We have a private tour booked for debarkation day and the tour operator thinks we will be at the Isle Grande terminal. I thought it was the old San Juan terminal... This is for the sailing on January 31. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Unless they change piers, the Summit will sail from the Pan American pier not the pier in Old San Juan.

I was on the Carnival Splendor on Nov 1 and we set sail from the pier in Old San Juan. The Summit was at the Pan American pier along with a RCL ship (I think it was the Jewel of the Seas). Docked next to us in Old San Juan was the Celebrity Infinity, which was there for a port day, not an embarkation/debarkation.

At least that is where I am expecting to be boarding the Summit in March.

Unless they change piers, the Summit will sail from the Pan American pier not the pier in Old San Juan.. .....
Yes, that has been our experience also.

Celebrity ships dock at the pier in Old San Juan only if it is a port stop for the day.

For embarking and disembarking passengers at San Juan, they use the Pan American pier. That is what the Summit has been doing, as well as the Jewel of the Seas that docked right behind the Summit

Yes, that has been our experience also.

Celebrity ships dock at the pier in Old San Juan only if it is a port stop for the day.

For embarking and disembarking passengers at San Juan, they use the Pan American pier. That is what the Summit has been doing, as well as the Jewel of the Seas that docked right behind the Summit

Good to know for sure. At least I was planning on going to the Pan American pier in March to board the Summit. I am excited to sail Celebrity for the first time, but it would have been nice to sail from Old San Juan. We enjoyed checking in and then going back out to walk around the town. There is so much to see there. But at least we have 3 days after the cruise to explore San Juan and beyond.

• 2 weeks later...
No, about 3 miles at least. With zone cab fares though it is about $15.00:eek:.

Though if you do an Old San Juan tour on embarkation day, there is a pharmacy or two in OSJ that you could swing by while you're in town.

Thanks for the reminder! Anything specific you're looking for, the daily agenda? They're all multi-page documents and I only have a flatbed scanner. :(

I am interest in the daily agenda. I would like to see what is going on, as this is my first Celebrity cruise. I realize it will be different on this cruise because it is so port intensive.

Alright, here's the best solution I came up with to get these digitized in a timely fashion. I hope people find it interesting and useful.

I took high-res pictures (~1.3-1.6 megabytes per picture) of the cover, daily agenda, and back cover for each of the days (pg1, pg2, or pg3, respectively). I also included the staff bio insert from day 1, and the disembarkation info sheet (Day 8 pg1/pg2). I zipped everything into a single file and hosted it on dropbox. The total file size is ~37 MB.

Also to be up front, I'm hosting the link via Bit .ly as I'm curious how many people actually download the file.

h t t p://bit(dot)ly/1u4W51N where (dot) = . and there are spaces interspersed in the http part

Also a caution that the address is case sensitive!

Edited by jb008

DiamondSuiteCruiser posted the dailies from Dec 6th sailing, you can find them by the search feature. The most significant change was there were movies at night offered on the 13th cruise. One at 10:30pm deck 12 and one at 10:15pm.

DiamondSuiteCruiser posted the dailies from Dec 6th sailing, you can find them by the search feature. The most significant change was there were movies at night offered on the 13th cruise. One at 10:30pm deck 12 and one at 10:15pm.

Here's the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2141071

The 12/6 sailing was for the other S. Caribbean itinerary, so between the two you've got the B2B covered!

Alright, here's the best solution I came up with to get these digitized in a timely fashion. I hope people find it interesting and useful.

I took high-res pictures (~1.3-1.6 megabytes per picture) of the cover, daily agenda, and back cover for each of the days (pg1, pg2, or pg3, respectively). I also included the staff bio insert from day 1, and the disembarkation info sheet (Day 8 pg1/pg2). I zipped everything into a single file and hosted it on dropbox. The total file size is ~37 MB.

Also to be up front, I'm hosting the link via Bit .ly as I'm curious how many people actually download the file.

h t t p://bit(dot)ly/1u4W51N where (dot) = . and there are spaces interspersed in the http part

Also a caution that the address is case sensitive!

OMG! Thank you so much! I know you didn't have to do this, and I really appreciate you taking the time to post. This is really getting me pumped for my cruise next week! :cool:

OMG! Thank you so much! I know you didn't have to do this, and I really appreciate you taking the time to post. This is really getting me pumped for my cruise next week! :cool:

It was fun to look back over them, a nice way to help remember the vacay (esp. with -11 degF on the thermometer this AM). I'm glad you're enjoying them and have a great trip!

Even after multiple cruises, there were a few things I wish I'd remembered to pack (and a few things I'm glad I've wised up and pack):

-pad of sticky notes and sharpie marker

-empty envelope and manilla folder for receipts and various documents

-1 small and 1 medium binder clip (clip curtains closed, weight down curtain, contain cords, contain paper, etc...)

-bathroom air freshener (slight lingering musty odor from the humidity)

-small refillable water bottle

-small tube of aloe-after burn lotion

-travel alarm clock (spare battery also helps!)

-small flashlight (lipstick sized - just in case)

It was fun to look back over them, a nice way to help remember the vacay (esp. with -11 degF on the thermometer this AM). I'm glad you're enjoying them and have a great trip!

Even after multiple cruises, there were a few things I wish I'd remembered to pack (and a few things I'm glad I've wised up and pack):

-pad of sticky notes and sharpie marker

-empty envelope and manilla folder for receipts and various documents

-1 small and 1 medium binder clip (clip curtains closed, weight down curtain, contain cords, contain paper, etc...)

-bathroom air freshener (slight lingering musty odor from the humidity)

-small refillable water bottle

-small tube of aloe-after burn lotion

-travel alarm clock (spare battery also helps!)

-small flashlight (lipstick sized - just in case)

Interesting list! I either pack some of these or use my phone for similar functions.

• 5 weeks later...

HI! thanks for your great review. I am waffling between Summit vs Jewel for December 2015 - can you tell me why you preferred the Summit or better yet Royal vs Celebrity? I have done both - Royal is a better cabin and price this time, but we loved Celebrity last March. We are in our early 50's travelling without kids. Thanks in advance!~:D

Did they let anyone with just carry on luggage take them onto your bus instead of loading them in the trucks to airport? Don't want to lose them and don't want to cause any commotion..ty

I know we had our backpack and my laptop bag on the bus (and the bus was secured for that type of luggage). If you've got a massive rolling carry on, I presume that wasn't allowed on the bus (but you would be reunited w/it at the airport pre-ag screening and then proceed to airline check-in).

HI! thanks for your great review. I am waffling between Summit vs Jewel for December 2015 - can you tell me why you preferred the Summit or better yet Royal vs Celebrity? I have done both - Royal is a better cabin and price this time, but we loved Celebrity last March. We are in our early 50's travelling without kids. Thanks in advance!~:D

Sorry for my delayed reply - I was away this past weekend.

We felt Summit had better food all around versus Jewel, and the little touches on summit, like being met w/bubbly at boarding and cold towels and drinks being actively handed out at every port re-embarkation. Another example, the Jewel menu had "always available" items for a fee in the MDR - which just felt tacky to me (counter argument is it's great that lobster is always available for the small up-charge instead of requiring the whole family to go to a speciality restaurant).

Summit is also a smaller ship, so it felt a little more intimate and when it was the only ship (or one of a few) it was a slightly lower pax load than Jewel. I also preferred the vibe on SM vs. JoTS, it just felt a little older and a little more... refined. It was a little quieter overall, fewer kids, and just felt that it catered to a different clientele than JoTS (some of that I think also holds true to X vs RCI - but I haven't done enough X cruises to be sure of that).

Here's a link to my Jewel trip report from Dec '13: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1963557

I think I'd want to see a >15% price differential to go RCI over X - although I like both lines and wouldn't hesitate to cruise with RCI again if the itinerary or price were "right". That being said, we're booked for Jan '16 on SM. Hope the above helps, and I'm happy to elaborate further on any of this. You're picking between 2 good options, there's no wrong decision here.

Edited by jb008