Breakaway Bermuda Sept 2014: Newbies welcome all input!

VilleGirl

Hi all,

I am SO EXCITED to be planning my husband's and my very first cruise for our 20th wedding anniversary next September!

Input on a few questions is appreciated. I'm sure I'll have more as time goes on, but here's a start:

I know we want a balcony; we want the option to relax with some room service. Can someone define "private balcony" for me? Am I going to hear the people next to me on their balcony? I've heard tales of *seeing* the people next door, which would be even worse. Any particular room types or locations you would suggest for more privacy?

How about the spa rooms - I would choose these only to have access to a hot tub - but only IF it's worth it. Can you just use the hot tubs on a per-use charge if you want? And, either way, is it going to have other people in there, or is there a private area?

I'd also decided the meal and drink packages wouldn't be worth it for us - but I see they are included for oceanview and up, so I guess we're getting them anyway. :)

I've gathered we'll have the opportunity to reserve spots for shows, etc., after we book - can someone explain to me how that's going to work?

Insurance - I'm all about getting it, but am I better off just doing it through my insurance company?

TIA to all with input for us!

You will definitely hear the people next to you as it is just a plain divider between the balconies. It is private as in you don't share it with anyone other than the people in the stateroom. You can see the other people in the balcony if you hang over the balcony and look over.

Public hot tubs are free and you can use them if you want. If you want the spa hot tubs, you either get a spa balcony or pay for the spa use for the day/week.

As for the shows, you get to book them in advance a certain amount of days prior to sailing. You can also book on board in the box office, stateroom tv, or monitors. Your reservation just guarantees you the ability to go 10 min or more earlier and pick any available seat. If you don't show up by 10 min prior, the reservation gets released and stand-by's go in.

As for insurance, get all your quotes and compare them. I've used insuremytrip with much success.

I'd also decided the meal and drink packages wouldn't be worth it for us - but I see they are included for oceanview and up, so I guess we're getting them anyway. :)

Since you're not going to Europe or Hawaii and not booking a full suite, you can choose only one perk under the current promotion, not both.