confused..

blue_crystal

I finally got my passport and found an absolute great rate on the Sept. 14th sailing of the QM2. So, I call the agent. They tell me I can book for two but I will be penalized if the other party doesnt show up. Reading my Cunard brochure, it says that no-shows will be charged "100% of fare." Now to me that sounds like we're right back paying for two people. Neither agent has been able to tell me exactly what charge Cunard will add to my fare if the other party is unable to make it. Can anyone make any sense of this?

I finally got my passport and found an absolute great rate on the Sept. 14th sailing of the QM2. So, I call the agent. They tell me I can book for two but I will be penalized if the other party doesnt show up. Reading my Cunard brochure, it says that no-shows will be charged "100% of fare." Now to me that sounds like we're right back paying for two people. Neither agent has been able to tell me exactly what charge Cunard will add to my fare if the other party is unable to make it. Can anyone make any sense of this?

Simply put, if the cabin is booked and paid for and the other passanger fails to show up then they are not entitled to any refund.

"Now to me that sounds like we're right back paying for two people."

Well yes it is. How can Cunard do business if half their passangers failed to show up and then wanted a full refund?

If you pay a fare for two hoping that someone will share and then they don't, you cannot arrive at the ship and and hope for a refund of one of the fares either.

Stephen

Oh no, i dont want a refund or expect one. I'm perfectly content paying for two people regardless of if the other one shows. It's still more affordable for me than flying or what they wanted for a single rate. So that's actually good news. I thought they meant a penalty in ADDITION to the total fares.

Oh no, i dont want a refund or expect one. I'm perfectly content paying for two people regardless of if the other one shows. It's still more affordable for me than flying or what they wanted for a single rate. So that's actually good news. I thought they meant a penalty in ADDITION to the total fares.

No, not in addition. Now THAT would be criminal!!!! :eek:

But booking a sinly IS cheaoer than paying for two... even if 200% of the fare. The fare might be doubled but you only pay 1 set of taxes. I think you ned to have a chat with a better travel agent. If you have trouble getting someone to share with you you might want to offer the space to some one reading these boards. Good luck!

Stephen

I don't know Cunard's policy on name changes. Earlier this year, we changed a name on an NCL cruise, and I was told it would be $35 to change. When the billing was actually calculated, they did not add the charge for the change. But I would advise that your agent find out Cunard's policy.

Bill

I get annoyed with paying double on ships if I'm in a single, I don't eat as much as two or watch twice as many shows, so why should I be charged double? QE2 is at least a little better as she dos have single cabins.

As to your questions though:

The cost for a single will be less than the total of two people in a twin room. The single suppliment is on top of the cost for one person, not two.

By the time you board the ship, you will already have paid the full price of the cruise for the two people so there is no penality to pay if the other person does not turn up, Cunard just mean that you don't get any cash back (you can't change to taking a cabin as a single if your booking was for a twin).

I had to do a name change on a booking before, and had no problems. It was two years ago so things might have changed. The official line, then as now, you will be charged for changes. In my case there was a medical reason for the change, a reason like that should do.

In my experience, If you do book a twin cabin, you don't need to give a name for the second person immediately.

My advice is to book a twin cabin as a single and pay the single suppliment on one fare. Cunard will allow you to "upgrade" to a double/twin. Cunard call an upgrade when the overall value of the booking increases (not the cost per person). Take the cheapest possible cabin as a single and hence keep your options open.

Well, now i'm getting the word from several agents that should i arrive without the other passenger, at that time I will be charged the single suppliment rate which is dramatically above what I'd pay for two people. I'm getting flustered.

I'm sorry but I don't see how that can charge you a single supplement when you have already purchased two fares.

Can you quote the actual figures they are telling you? Something doesn't make sense.

The single supplement rate is charged to one who book a cabin for their sole use. Let's say the supplement is 50% and the fare per person for Cabin Grde XX is $1,000. For two people the total fare would be $2,000. If you booked the cabin as a single then the fare would be $1,000 plus 50% which is $1,500. If you book for two people and one doesnt show then you still pay $2,000... you don't get a reduction at the last minute for $500 and on teh ooother hand they are not going to charge you and additional supplement of $500 making your fare $2,500.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, they cannot suddenly waxck a penalty onto your fare just because someone else doesn't show up. By that stage the tickets are bought and paid for.

Heaven forbid that BOTH of you don't turn up. What are they going to do, send you a bill for two extra fares?

Stephen

I'm being told: (all prices for inside staterooms)

$1194 for two people

$2788 for just me if i show up without the other person.

Another agent told me:

$1567 for me - single

"over $2000 if the other party doesnt show as they charge you almost 200 percent of the fare"

all my cunard brochure says is "100% of fare" for no-shows. Which to me would mean, you pay the cost of both passengers period. It doesnt say anything about an additional fee. Is this something new they've added on?

Your above post is really really confusing... hence the title of the thread? ;)

No matter how I look at it, the pricing just does not make sense. As it has been explained by the others previously, if the cabin is paid for in full, it does not matter who does not show up. And I do not see how they can charge you a suppliment for single while the room has been paid for double.

Just curious, do you know who is this other person sharing the cabin with you?

p/s You need to find another agent. Serious.

I'm being told: (all prices for inside staterooms)

$1194 for two people

$2788 for just me if i show up without the other person.

Another agent told me:

$1567 for me - single

"over $2000 if the other party doesnt show as they charge you almost 200 percent of the fare"

all my cunard brochure says is "100% of fare" for no-shows. Which to me would mean, you pay the cost of both passengers period. It doesnt say anything about an additional fee. Is this something new they've added on?

Those prices are per person, right? This is totally confusing, I think you need to call Cunard direct, or find a better TA.

The first agent is the one that is confused.

Based on the figures you give :

If you book for two people the total cost would be $2388 (which works out as the $1194 each). If the other person does not turn up you will not need to pay any extra as you have already paid for two. (It looks like the travel agent is adding a single supplement to this fare if the other person does not turn up, this is wrong).

If you book a cabin for yourself you would pay $1194 plus a single supplement, which looks like $373 giving the $1567 total.

It looks like the agent has got confused and said that you would need to pay an additional single supplement if the other person did not turn up, you won't. The travel agent is taking rubbish. If they are saying they will charge you like this, find and agent that doesn't!

As I've said before, if you don't have a person to go with you just now, take a cabin as a single, you can upgrade later to twin.

Archived