bears and cuddling puppies

mumom95

Ok, we are now officially planning our independent land tour ( I still have to change the cruisetour to a cruise, but we have decided to do the land part on our own). So thanks for all of the advice.

Now, we are starting to work on excursions.

Two things I definitely want to do is see bears eating (up close as much as possible) and cuddle sled dog puppies. Any advice on what excursions I should sign up for to have the best shot at doing these.

We are going to be in Anchorage, Seward, Talkeetna, Denali

And our cruise will dock for the day in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.

Any advice on great excursions would be appreciated

Since you are going to be in Anchorage, contact Rust's Aviation about their fly-out bear viewing. In Denali, Jeff King's Husky Homestead is excellent not only for the puppies but Jeff has won the Iditarod 3 times and is an excellent speaker but the parks department also has dogs at the visitor center of the park.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW...as regards retiring to Alaska-even most of the people who live in Alaska don't live in Alaska. So many of the people you will run into on the trip will not be there to see the firstg snowflake. They say unless you are a real winter outdoors sports fan,you will go stir crazy with the long nights and winter cold.

Actually, although there a lot of people do summer in Alaska and live in the lower during the winter, most people do live here year round.

Personally, once DH and I got through our first winter (a BIT of a shock!) and learned to take a vacation every January/February for about 10 days and put our toes in the sand; we've had no problems with the long nights or winter cold. The hardest part of living in the interior, IMO, is the time and expense involved in travel with both our families living in the lower.

"In Denali, Jeff King's Husky Homestead is excellent not only for the puppies but Jeff has won the Iditarod 3 times and is an excellent speaker"

He is also one heck of a nice guy! ;)

Archived