Question about final payment, insurance and medical issue

DeeDee72

We are booked on the Getaway in a few months. Final payment is due later this week. My mom has been diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing chemo and then surgery. She is booked on the trip. I have called NCL and researched other travel protection but am still unclear. Is it correct that insurance will not help in her situation since it is pre-existing? She was diagnosed after we made the deposit and we did not buy insurance initially.

The NCL rep honestly encouraged us to reschedule, but there are several people going so she wants to go in this if possible. The problem is she may not know until a week before it she can go. And, frankly, my family doesn't want to go if she can't. The other group will go either way.

Thanks for any input.

Edited by DeeDee72

Just an FYI. You can of course buy insurance now for the rest of your family. Remember it's her condition that is pre existing and that is all that matters when using the term pre existing

However.... And this quite important...... If you buy a policy for your family now it will cover you if you cannot make the trip because a member of your traveling party can't go.... I.e. Your mom

But...... It has to be a valid serious medical reason as to why you are canceling because your traveling family member can't make it...... Not just because she is not feeling well but because she has taken a turn for the worse

Read the policy carefully as some are more lenient and some are stricter

You should probably cancel and

You can always try to snag a better deal on the same cruise last minute and mom may certainly be able to join you if she is up to it

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

What if you canceled.

Booked a new reservation.

And, bought new insurance.

But what about the cancer diagnosis for the mom? It's a known issue at this point to the family so the insurance won't cover it for the mom under the pre existing exclusion

My understanding is you need to not have had such a diagnosis for the 180 days previous to purchase

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

One issue with rescheduling is we booked with kids sail free. It is my understanding that promotion is not available now. NCL said they would work with me to find affordable dates if we reschedule. But, summer will be the next time we can go.

One issue with rescheduling is we booked with kids sail free. It is my understanding that promotion is not available now. NCL said they would work with me to find affordable dates if we reschedule. But, summer will be the next time we can go.

So then look at the cost of the actual pax you paid for and see if you are willing to lose that money

You will get port and tax back for all if canceled

If the amount can be tolerated then make final payment if not just cancel and chalk it up to life love and family first

As a pp said you can always buy cancellation Insurance for your family and should mom not be able to go because she is very very ill dare I say it but... Near the end... Then the insurance will cover the others as they can't leave at a time like that

If she is just in a recuperating situation and the prognosis is good but she still doesn't feel up to going it is doubtful the Insurance will cover the families cancellation

It's quite expensive but cancel for any reason insurance might work though

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to good health!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you reached PIF date? If not, CSA Deluxe Plan covers pre-existing, and can be purchased up to PIF date.

A little more $$, but not much. I think for us, it was like $75 more than other plans....but in the grand scheme of things, that's nothing.

Edited by mdvlprof