AOS: Specialty Dining?

Eeyoregon

In looking at my reservation today, I was excited to see that a $100 dining credit has been added to my booking this past week.

I was excited to book some specialty dining. Until I realized that there isn't any specialty dining on board the AOS except Johnny Rockets and the newly added take-out/dine-in Giovanni's Italian venue.

The menu and family style dining at Giovanni's doesn't appeal to us at all and we would have to eat a LOT of $4.95 burgers at Johnny Rockets, LOL.

Soooo, what does everyone use these dining credits for? Can you purchase a soda or alcoholic drink in the dining room and use the credit towards it?

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Happy sailing.

I've never heard of a Royal credit that is limited to dining. Perhaps this is a travel agent credit of some sort? If so, then you would have to direct the question on possible usage to the travel agent.

It's definitely through Royal Caribbean as it has all the fine print attached that there is no cash value and it's use it or lose it.

I suppose I could use it to make some new friends on board: "Hey, can I buy you a burger and shake?" :D

Here is the exact verbage:

The dining credit is per stateroom, not redeemable for cash, has no cash value, is non-transferable and will expire at 10:00 p.m. on the final night of the cruise. Royal Caribbean will apply the dining credit to each qualified booking’s onboard account prior to the departure date.

You don't have to eat family style at Giovanni's Table. The pasta dishes do lend themselves to sharing, but there are also steak and chicken dishes available which are 'single serve' for want of a better term. We very much enjoyed it on Oasis.

Just off Adventure yesterday. They now charge for lobster, filet or surf & turf in the MDR - available any night. You could use up that credit in less than three orders if you choose that option.

The only lobster available was a tail and 3 shrimp one night during dinner. Did not try to get more, so I don't know if you could.

Steaks from the "included" menu were very disappointing.

Giovanni's had a special Brazilian lunch menu during our cruise - b/c there were many aboard, so keep your eyes open for menu changes during the cruise there.

Overall the food in Windjammer was dismal, and disappointing the first 3 nights in the MDR, better afterwards, but no comparison to Celebrity last March.