Am I reading this right?

From the RCCL website about the tropical storm/hurricane:

"Majesty of the Seas, now on a four-night sailing originally scheduled to conclude on Friday, August 26, will delay its return to the Port of Miami by one day to avoid the storm. The ship will spend the day at sea on Friday and arrive in Miami on Saturday, August 27. Majesty of the Seas' upcoming three-night sailing, originally scheduled to depart on Friday, will now be shortened to a two-night sailing. Because this sailing will be shortened, guests will have the option to sail or cancel and receive a 50 percent refund. This shortened cruise will begin on Saturday and include a port of call in Nassau, Bahamas, on Sunday, before returning to the Port of Miami on Monday, August 29. Guests who opt to sail will receive an onboard credit of $100 per stateroom."

That just doesn't seem right. Perhaps I am perplexed because if I had to make that decision, I would have no idea how to decide.

Oh well...

Yeah its no fun sailing during hurricane season, but there is good prices! We had this happen to us last year on the Navigator. Originally it was delayed one day, then the next day, they changed it to a 2 day delay. It made a pretty interesting vacation for us- thats for sure! I'm not the type who likes to go on vacation and things are unknown! Finding a hotel when most are booked can get frustrating. Our cruise was for 7 days so it being shortened to 5 days wasn't too bad. However at the time it was a nightmare!! :eek: Plus we got that 50% off our upcoming Mariner cruise!!!!! :D

But on a 3 day sailing that is now 2 days and COULD get changed again- I think I would rebook. Although the perks for going aren't bad either.

Hard choice!!

Yeah its no fun sailing during hurricane season, but there is good prices! We had this happen to us last year on the Navigator. Originally it was delayed one day, then the next day, they changed it to a 2 day delay. It made a pretty interesting vacation for us- thats for sure! I'm not the type who likes to go on vacation and things are unknown! Finding a hotel when most are booked can get frustrating. Our cruise was for 7 days so it being shortened to 5 days wasn't too bad. However at the time it was a nightmare!! :eek: Plus we got that 50% off our upcoming Mariner cruise!!!!! :D

But on a 3 day sailing that is now 2 days and COULD get changed again- I think I would rebook. Although the perks for going aren't bad either.

Hard choice!!

My wife and I were some of the lucky ones. We were ON BOARD Navigator and got the 2 extra days last year!

We had friends that were on a ship and couldn't get back to port. They loved their extra days aboard the ship.

I, on the other hand, close my business down and then reopen it when I get back . My business is a pet boarding kennel, if I didn't get back I would have a lot of unhappy clients that might take their business else where. We don't cruise during hurricane season, but won't hesitate to do so when we retire. I will purchase the necessary travel insurance to cover my losses if some arise.

Of course I am married to an insurance adjuster so I understand the importance of having coverage as well as being sure of what type of coverage you buy. Lots of people buy insurance and have no clue as to what they have bought as they don't read the policy.

The key to buying insurance is really very, very simple. If you can afford to self insure yourself then don't buy insurance. If you have a problem not being able to take the monetary hit then buy insurance.

There have been post about prices not being lower in June, July and August. I would say maybe because most hurricanes don't happen until September through end of October. I am not an expert..... but since DH leaves to go adjust them I don't remember him leaving earlier.....but then there was Dennis which he just got back from a few weeks ago.

It is a shame that peoples vacations are disrupted, but this happens to people up North that can't get out of airports because of snow.... that is what insurance is for.

I've posted on this elsewhere so I won't totally repeat myself, but I have been thinking of the airline analogy. If weather prevents a scheduled flight, you are carried on the next available flight -- on the airline from which you purchased a ticket or another, sometimes.

You ARE NOT taken 1/3rd of your trip and dumped with "have a nice day." Why should a cruise line be able to only carry you 1/3rd of the distance without 1/3 of the cost of the cruise refunded? I think it is wrong, and I think there needs to be consumer legislation to protect cruise passengers. I sure as heck don't buy flight insurance to cover schedule changes -- why should I for a cruise? (I do buy it but for unforeseen family emergencies on my end) What is happeng with the 100 a stateroom refund, regardless of the relative cost of the stateroom, is the passengers who are getting screwed are subsidizing the longer cruise for the passengers who can't get back into port because of weather. That is wrong. The cruise line needs to eat the longer than scheduled cruise costs -- it's a part of their doing business -- just as a mechanical breakdown necessitating the airlines paying for your hotel and food is a part of the airlines cost of doing business. As a business cost/unexpected loss, it is probably insurable, it's certainly tax deductable (not that these ships pay our taxes), and it is spreadable in miniscule increments in fare cost. Schedule changes, which because of weather, route you to Canada instead of Bermuda are more in the realm of pr, than fraud -- but this is a horse of a different color.

Our SC has ruled that foreign flagged ships must abide by our ADA laws, and it's about time we require them to abide by our consumer fraud laws, too.

I've posted on this elsewhere so I won't totally repeat myself, but I have been thinking of the airline analogy. If weather prevents a scheduled flight, you are carried on the next available flight -- on the airline from which you purchased a ticket or another, sometimes.

You ARE NOT taken 1/3rd of your trip and dumped with "have a nice day." Why should a cruise line be able to only carry you 1/3rd of the distance without 1/3 of the cost of the cruise refunded?

Look at your airline analogy another way. Let's say you are going on a three day weekend getaway to the Bahamas. Now, a storm comes through your airport area and the airport shuts down for 24 plus hours and cannot fly you to the Bahamas until the next day shortening your three day weekend to two days. Is the airline responsible for you getting a refund on your unused day. Maybe, if you are lucky, the resort will credit you for one night but no guarantees there.

It seems Carnival is treating their customers alot better from what is listed on the CC home page. It states they will actually refund a cruise if they elect not to go on the shorter cruise. I'm surprised the cruise lines don't match each other or at least come close during the hurricane season. I love RCCI, just getting off Majesty last Friday and having a wonderful weather cruise, but Carnival sure is offering alot more than just a $100 onboard credit or only 50% refund depending on what you want to do on the shortened cruise!

Robin

Archived