Sunshine Observation Deck Cabin

getupgo

I think I have seen a comment by someone that they were uncomfortable with being able to see inside someone's cabin from this deck. Those cabins are considered and are priced as an inside but have windows. Has anyone been in one of those cabins? If so. Do you have to keep the curtains closed? There is an 8 day cruise out of Port Canaveral which I can only afford at an inside rate, and I'm extremely claustrophobic so don't think an inside cabin will work for me. This will probably be my only chance to sail to Aruba because DH will not go to Miami or San Juan. It's also on the most forward point of the ship. Any thoughts by anybody,?

the way you worded it, if someone on the deck was uncomfortable 'with being able to see inside someone's cabin from this deck', then they shouldn't go out on that deck, or try so hard to do so. the windows are somewhat glazed and it's not as if you have a clear view in, you'd have to get close.

at night, when you could more readily see inside given the lights in - yes, you do have to keep the curtains in. you have to close them while the ship is underway, so as to not pose a problem to navigation. they're kinda sticklers about that :)

i've never stayed in one of those cabins, but i think they're pretty great. and i've been on the 'secret decks' numerous times, and have never really seen inside a cabin, though i have not really tried.

i think they're a good deal, and come with the benefit of a window at an inside price, plus access to that 'secret deck'. very few people are ever out there.

i'd give it a shot if you feel that's your best option!

I think I have seen a comment by someone that they were uncomfortable with being able to see inside someone's cabin from this deck. Those cabins are considered and are priced as an inside but have windows. Has anyone been in one of those cabins? If so. Do you have to keep the curtains closed? There is an 8 day cruise out of Port Canaveral which I can only afford at an inside rate, and I'm extremely claustrophobic so don't think an inside cabin will work for me. This will probably be my only chance to sail to Aruba because DH will not go to Miami or San Juan. It's also on the most forward point of the ship. Any thoughts by anybody,?

You sound like us. We booked the 8 day Sunshine sailing to Aruba and the only cabin we could reasonably afford that would work for us is this one. Interior walkway they are called-category 4J. Hoping to upgrade somewhere down the line if the price drops. But at least we have a window if that doesn't pan out.

We did stay in a grand scenic oceanview earlier this year on another ship, and they are also all the way forward and higher up. The motion didn't bother any of us, but we had relatively calm seas. If you have issues with motion sickness, these cabins may not be a good choice.

Thanks for the responses. I'd have to go into it not expecting a price drop since the itinerary is rare out of Port Carnival and very few cabins in that category. I have no motion issues st all but it does look like an inconvenient location.

Edited by getupgo

My husband and I stayed in a 4J a few years ago on the Freedom. It was a last minute cruise and we wanted something cheap. We really liked the cabin! Got an inside cabin price but had a window onto the "secret deck." We usually get at least a balcony and use the balcony pretty sparingly. With the deck right there it was like having a semi-private balcony. We were usually the only ones out there.

As far as seeing in and the curtains, there is a curtain that you can close whenever you like. I found that during the day you couldn't really see in even with it open due to a semi mirrored window and the reflection but if you cupped your hand or it was cloudy you could. At night the room steward shut the curtain and there was a little brass plaque on the wall advising that you must keep the curtains closed after sunset. This is to prevent light spilling onto the deck and messing up the night vision of the officers on the bridge above.

There was quite a lot of motion in this room but it didn't bother us, in fact we quite enjoyed it.

Overall we would book this type of room again and would recommend it if you're looking for a good bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app