Voyager NYE Fiji & NZ… Live Blog

OK. Thanks for your insight on the drinks packages with teenage kids. We are brand new to cruising, have 2 teenagers and are booked on the Voyager for a 13 night cruise at the end of the year. Even the $20 package will cost us over $1000.

And thanks for your updates. We have learned a lot of information that will help our 1st cruise go smoothly.

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys!

Its day 13, so only 2 more nights before we disembark & return to reality.

Yesterday NZ turned on beautiful weather again for our day in Wellington. A sunny 20C. We took a taxi to the cable car, then enjoyed the lovely views & walked around the Botanic Gardens, before returning by cable car. There was quite a queue for the cable car, I think it was about a 20 minute wait, but as the temperature was so pleasant, it wasn't a problem. We walked a picturesque route by the harbour to Te Papa, a great museum. Spent a couple of hours there. Some of our group went into Wellington shopping, & some walked back along the harbour to the ship (about a 30 minute walk).

We had to be back on board by 3.30. Our balcony overlooked the wharf, & we joined many others watching people straggling in, & wondered how long the ship would wait, & how many people would be left behind. It was after 4 when a security car bought in the last 2 passengers ( I assume security had found them walking back towards the wharf), who were cheered as they walked up the gangplank.

Last night's meal in the MDR was delicious. I ordered 2 entrées: crab cakes, & arugula, pear & blue cheese salad, vegetarian moussaka for main, & a cherry & almond desert. Yum!

"Boys In The Band" was the headliner show in the theatre. They had great voices & performed songs by Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Bee Gees etc.

Then we lined up for seats to the Quest game show. Before the quest started, a few bar-tenders demonstrated amazing cocktail making skills, juggling bottles etc, & gave out free drinks. I was lucky enough to get one, in a flashing glass.

The Quest was great fun. I highly recommend you attend the quest.

So now we have 2 sea days before Sydney. We have booked at Izumi for lunch. We've never dined at a specially restaurant on a cruse before, ( we're more than happy with the regular food),so will be interested to see what its like.

I guess I should get up & go to the gym, to try to combat my indulging. :o

Edited by Beyond The Sea 03

Well, I made it to the gym for a while yesterday morning. Its funny how in the first couple of days the gym was crowded, & now there is plenty of room & free machines. I guess most people have already given up on their new year's resolutions. :)

We lunched at Izumi. I'm afraid we weren't impressed & will probably be our first & last time dining in specialty restaurants while cruising. The service was really slow- no where near as good as the service in the MDR. The mixed sushi platter was covered in mayonnaise & fried artificial crab- a very westernised unhealthy version of sushi. The highlight was the mochi balls for desert. You can go up & just order the mochi if you like.

There was a poolside BBQ & seafood paella for lunch also yesterday.

We went to the Rod Stewart impersonator in the theatre- a bit of fun.

Then to the adults only Majority Rules in the Star Lounge. Eliot did a great job hosting it, until the last few minutes, when I wish that someone had had the judgement to not read out a racist joke.

I'm not looking forward getting the suitcases out today. I think I'll leave it as late as possible.

If anyone gets a chance to see Mario, Queen Of The Circus, please do. That was our last night's entertainment in the theatre, & he was hilarious. I won't tell you about the performance because you'll enjoy it more that way. :D

The show ended with Chris Brown, cruise director, doing a respectable rendition of "I Still Call Australia Home".

We attended the last game show, hosted by Eliot. We have all become Eliot fans. We remember him from Indy. Maybe we need to stalk him, & follow him to whichever ship he works on.

We felt sad saying goodbye to our MDR waiters, Lorwin & Anthony, & our cabin steward, Diogo, who have all been excellent.

Disembarkation went smoothly. Didn't need to show our passports, just gave the customs officer the yellow customs form & we were gone.

I will attempt to load photos in the next few days :)

Hi Dean. Just got off the Radiance on Sunday. I had the Royal Replenish package at the $19 USD a day. We purchased it before we left though and paid in AUD, which was nice. I enjoyed it as I just bought a few alcoholic drinks along the way.

Here is a link to the drink package comparisons: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Sadly, the price has gone up already on all packages.

So zero coke/diet coke unless you buy the package or pay for them. Years ago, they were included in the dining room.

Thanks for a great review. We leave on the same tier ship/ports in a couple weeks.

Many many thanks for your detailed review , it is great reading. We are booked in March next year with our 3 boys (2 teenage) and cousins , so 6 kids in all with 4 adults. From your review it sounds like they will have a great time. I am a bit concerned at the negative reviews this ship has been getting regarding overcrowding and poor service. So much so I was considering cancelling and booking with princess or carnival. However the ship looks great especially for our kids.

Did you experience any of this or other negatives ? Was the windjammer packed to capacity most of the time.

Also does anyone know whether you can still get the Soda package for Kids at around $7 per day ? Its listed unde rbeverages under the RCL site.

Taking the cable car in Wellington, & harbour side

http://www4.snapfish.com/snapfish/fe/l=en_US/p/Organizer/AlbumID=11816537018/s_c=0/s_mvm=NAP/s_se=FDR#state=%7B%22pl%22%3A%7B%22uc%22%3A2%2C%22aid%22%3A11816537018%2C%22vp%22%3A%22g%22%2C%22sb%22%3A5%7D%2C%22ovm%22%3A%7B%22v%22%3A%22s%22%7D%7D

I would like to give praise to the delightful couple ( I don't remember their names) who taught the dance classes on our cruise. We took our first ever dancing lessons- Salsa, Mambo & Cha-Cha, & really enjoyed it & thought that they were fantastic teachers.

Many many thanks for your detailed review , it is great reading. We are booked in March next year with our 3 boys (2 teenage) and cousins , so 6 kids in all with 4 adults. From your review it sounds like they will have a great time. I am a bit concerned at the negative reviews this ship has been getting regarding overcrowding and poor service. So much so I was considering cancelling and booking with princess or carnival. However the ship looks great especially for our kids.

Did you experience any of this or other negatives ? Was the windjammer packed to capacity most of the time.

Also does anyone know whether you can still get the Soda package for Kids at around $7 per day ? Its listed unde rbeverages under the RCL site.

Thanks Greg,

Our children & their cousins & friends had a fantastic cruise. RCI cater really well for teenagers. They have rock climbing, flow rider, iceskating, sports court, mini golf...I really like that there is a 1am curfew for under 18s (they sometimes stayed later, esp NYE, but it gives a message that its time to think about bed). Under 18s aren't allowed in the nightclub at night, which I also like.

The windjammer was very busy. It was OK to find a seat for 1 or 2 people, but often very hard or impossible for a bigger group. We were a large group, so would often go to the MDR for breakfast or lunch if we wanted to sit together. The MDR has one level for buffet, & one for a la carte for breakfast & lunch. You can also take away your plate of food from the Windjammer & eat by the pool. I saw some people take plates to eat in the Schooner bar, where they could find seats together. Our cruise was at absolute peak season, & I think that they were at full capacity. I imagine March wouldn't be quite as busy.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Beyond The Sea 03

Thankyou so much for your Review. We are going on the Voyager on Feb 22 to Nz, so this was very helpful indeed!

The NZ cruise should be fantastic.

While I enjoyed our 2 days in Fiji, I think that a cruise just to NZ would be better. You would have less sea days, & see more scenery. I'd love to sail up the Milford Sound one day.

Enjoy!

Thanks Greg,

Our children & their cousins & friends had a fantastic cruise. RCI cater really well for teenagers. They have rock climbing, flow rider, iceskating, sports court, mini golf...I really like that there is a 1am curfew for under 18s (they sometimes stayed later, esp NYE, but it gives a message that its time to think about bed). Under 18s aren't allowed in the nightclub at night, which I also like.

The windjammer was very busy. It was OK to find a seat for 1 or 2 people, but often very hard or impossible for a bigger group. We were a large group, so would often go to the MDR for breakfast or lunch if we wanted to sit together. The MDR has one level for buffet, & one for a la carte for breakfast & lunch. You can also take away your plate of food from the Windjammer & eat by the pool. I saw some people take plates to eat in the Schooner bar, where they could find seats together. Our cruise was at absolute peak season, & I think that they were at full capacity. I imagine March wouldn't be quite as busy.

Enjoy your cruise!

The only negatives with service that I experienced were on the first day (difficulty getting off ship, & mixed up MDR seating), & slow service in Izumi.I don't think anyone in our group had any problems. Our in-laws thought that their cabin steward, Patrick was awesome.