Breakaway in NY in the Winter

New_Cruiser_2009

My wife and I will be on the Breakaway Sunday. Ill let you know what it will be like. The one think I know it will get warmer every day. I have cruised out of

LosAngelas in the winter and it was too cold to be outside the first and last days also.

Steve R.

We were on the Gem out of NY on Dec 13th... We were inside that day and the next. Some kids were in the pool though on the 1st sea day. It was on our 2nd sea day we were out on the deck, in the sun and kids swimming. We were near Florida by then. Going back... The last 2 days were both sea days and were pretty chilly, for us at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We cruise the Gem or BA out of NY every January and March, by day 2 (first sea day) everyone is usually sitting outside, Maybe not swimming but it is usually very nice out. Of course weather is unpredicatble but we have never had a problem. The last full seas day coming back can also be chilly but you never know.

If you had to stay indoors for 2 or 3 days you would already be way down in the caribbean so that m ames no sense at all.

Enjoy your cruise :)

We sailed on the Breakaway just about a year ago (Jan. 5th) and it was after a big snowstorm and very cold temps (near zero). The night we left NYC we pretty much stayed inside--but by the next day, it was starting to warm up, and the 2nd sea day was fine, as others have said. Same deal on the return, the 2nd to last day should be ok, the day before returning to port, it will be turning pretty cool (or cold) outside.

Don't worry--there will be so much going on inside the ship--you'll have plenty to keep you & the kids busy. ;)

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Ditto to what Cruizin said. 1st and last days cold (although that didn't stop some from getting in the hot tub on top, nor from me walking from the front to the back on 16 for the buffet). Cold 1st day and last, however 97% of all activities on the Breakaway are indoors so you save the 3% outdoors for the 2nd to 5th days!

We sailed out this year on December 7th. If your kids can stand a little chill in the air the first sea day by afternoon is a great time to do the slides. We did not have to wait in line just run back up the step and jump down the slide again before freezing to death. We also had the hot tub to ourselves in H20.

On the way back we put on our coats, gloves and hats and had the entire miniature golf course to ourselves the last night. If you are from a cold climate it is not that bad.

I'm new to cruising from a cold destination. How does it work? Someone told me that you need to stay inside for 2-3 days because of the cold. I'm just not sure how this all works and I'll be travelling with three kids. Please let me know!

Embarkation and debarkation days are cold, typically. If you are lucky, the first sea day will be warn enough, at least for kids to want to go swimming. There are hot tubs on all days for those hardy enough to want them.

Out at sea it is typically warmer than the land, especially in sheltered areas outside. But others are right; the ship is mostly indoors and there are lots of activities for sea days! It isn't any different from a rainy day in a warmer area.

We sailed on the 12/21/14 BA cruise.

Sunday 12/21 was indeed cold and cloudy in NYC (we had snow flurries leaving our house in Northern Westchester)...I don't believe we got out of the 40s when we sailed out of NYC.

Wear some hoodies and do not stay inside when departing NYC! Go out to the top decks and enjoy the sail-away parties...bring your camera and enjoy a hot Irish Coffee!

Monday 12/22 was a little bit warmer, maybe hit around 53 as we hit a storm front blowing north, but the pools were open and the hot tubs were cranking and felt good and all the slides were open.

Coming back, the sea days Friday and Saturday promoted enough sun and warmth to be able to tan on the decks or your balcony.

Do indeed get out on the decks @ all times regardless of the weather, go to the Waterfront and Spice/H20...you won't regret it unless you miss it...enjoy your BA cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off the Breakaway, did 12 days Jan 4th-16th. Our first time going in the winter, first sea day was obviously frisky, a little windy. Second sea day was better, warmer than I imagined the sun was up, deck chairs were full. Pretty much hoodie/jeans type weather. Third sea day was very warm, people enjoyed the pool and deck chairs. On day 10, first sea day back to NY was very warm, the last 2 sea days were rainy and windy so that was a bummer. Hope that helps!

Norwegian Jewel - 7 days (April 2010)

Carnival Miracle - 8 Days (May 2011)

Norwegian Dawn - 7 Days (May 2012)

Explorer Of The Seas - 9 Days (May 2013)

Norwegian Gem - 7 days (June 2014)

Norwegian Breakaway - 12 Days (January 2015)

Edited by Mosca_N