Looking for CRS recommendations for tall toddler

Athenacat

We planned our first cruise with foster children, toddlers, 2 and 3 years old. Currently, neither car seat we own Meets FAA approval, so we need recommendations. Our two year old is average night, but a little stocky. He currently weighs 32 lbs. Our three year old stands 42 inches, but only weighs 33 lbs.

I did plan on purchasing CARES for the 2 year old, but apparently my three year old is too tall (guidelines say under 40 inches). Looking for reasonably cost CRS options.

I flew with DD at 3 years old. She too was too tall for CARES. She sat in the regular airplane seat for our cross country flights & was perfectly fine. My biggest concern was her possibly trying to unbuckle, but we had no issues.

For everyday use we have an evenflo that is considered a convertible booster--5 point harness (she still has a while to go in that), then high back booster and then backless booster. We got it when she outgrew her regular car seat (height). I believe it was around $150-$200, but it should last us a very long time. The paperwork says it's FAA approved when used with 5 point harness.

Edited by flhokie

We planned our first cruise with foster children, toddlers, 2 and 3 years old. Currently, neither car seat we own Meets FAA approval, so we need recommendations. Our two year old is average night, but a little stocky. He currently weighs 32 lbs. Our three year old stands 42 inches, but only weighs 33 lbs.

I did plan on purchasing CARES for the 2 year old, but apparently my three year old is too tall (guidelines say under 40 inches). Looking for reasonably cost CRS options.

What car seat's do you have, there are only a few that are not FAA approved.

Check out this updated FAA information, many will tell you a child over 40 lbs can not be restrained in a safety seat, this is incorrect. http://thecarseatlady.com/before-you-fly-know-your-rights/

Edited by Sparkygirl

What car seat's do you have, there are only a few that are not FAA approved.

Check out this updated FAA information, many will tell you a child over 40 lbs can not be restrained in a safety seat, this is incorrect. http://thecarseatlady.com/before-you-fly-know-your-rights/

The car seat The county provides for my three year old foster child is a graco. It does appear to convert To a booster. The county provided the two year old with an evenflo (again, not sure the model), but it looks like a giant bucket seat. I checked the sides, and both say approved for motor vehicles, but I did not see the faa or airplane approval. The width of the evenflo is 22 inches, the graco width is 20. I will need a new car seat soon regardless, as the evenflo expires. The county will provide us with another seat, but the seats will be secondhand.

The car seat The county provides for my three year old foster child is a graco. It does appear to convert To a booster. The county provided the two year old with an evenflo (again, not sure the model), but it looks like a giant bucket seat. I checked the sides, and both say approved for motor vehicles, but I did not see the faa or airplane approval. The width of the evenflo is 22 inches, the graco width is 20. I will need a new car seat soon regardless, as the evenflo expires. The county will provide us with another seat, but the seats will be secondhand.

Stab in the dark, graco nautilus is the older 3 in one that converts to a booster and has a 5pt harness. It is 20 inches wide and is FAA approved, the sticker is on the bottom of the seat, to see if you have to uninstall the seat and flip it over and look at the bottom. Also, look for the serial make and model sticker on the back or bottom of the seat. Take a picture for your records.

I'll research evenflo after work and get back to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Sparkygirl

Evenflo states all seats with an internal harness are FAA approved. Without seeing both seats the manufactures are implying that what you currently have will work for the airplane for both children. If you are getting a new "used" seat often part of a county loaner seat program ask for a graco combination seat like the nautilus or Argos for the 2 year old. Then you should be 100% good to go and those seats last for tall or stocky children. My 40 lbs 40inch 4 year old fits wonderfully and will remain harnessed until around age 7.

Evenflo states all seats with an internal harness are FAA approved. Without seeing both seats the manufactures are implying that what you currently have will work for the airplane for both children. If you are getting a new "used" seat often part of a county loaner seat program ask for a graco combination seat like the nautilus or Argos for the 2 year old. Then you should be 100% good to go and those seats last for tall or stocky children. My 40 lbs 40inch 4 year old fits wonderfully and will remain harnessed until around age 7.

Thank you for the tips. I did check on the bottom of the Graco. It meets FAA approval. I also called the our social worker, and the county will exchange the old evenflo for a new seat (it expires soon). I requested one that meets Faa approval. I fly southwest. On their websight, they recommend seats to be 16 inches or less in width. I am hoping the seats I have fit. The current evenflo is very light, but very cumbersome, and very hard to install. The straps always get twisted, and belt attachment often gets stuck when I try to tighten the seat in place (which is why I wouldn't mind purchasing a another seat to have for travel or for use in our spare vehicle).