Booked P&O

Oh thanks geo :) What a wonderful site this is!

We have been debating transport for our repo cruise on Oceana. There is a free coach from Gatwick to Southampton at midday, but we have to get to Gatwick from Oxford to catch it :rolleyes: We never take our car to Gatwick as we have an hourly coach service from Oxford - £37pp return = £74.

Now I have checked the trains and there is a direct train from Oxford to Southampton (albeit via Reading and Guildford) that is flagging up as £11.20p pp = £22.40. Add to that £56 single fare from Gatwick and that comes to £78.40., so almost the same. I calculate it will take a couple of hours to Gatwick and another couple to Southampton, whereas the trains takes 2 and a half hours plus a few minutes in a taxi.

Need to decide soon though in case the fares go up :eek:

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

yep...its a good train linda (crosscountry trains manchester - bournemouth) calls at oxford - southampton, should only take a little over an hourish from oxford (if you can get one that doest stop everywhere?) I use the same service sometimes myself from reading to southampton

if you book online you can reserve a seat:cool:

yep...its a good train linda (crosscountry trains manchester - bournemouth) calls at oxford - southampton, should only take a little over an hourish from oxford (if you can get one that doest stop everywhere?) I use the same service sometimes myself from reading to southampton

if you book online you can reserve a seat:cool:

It says 2 hours and 30 minutes as it goes to Guildford, but it is a direct route, no changing trains :)

Well, I have booked the train and been allocated forward facing seats in a quiet carriage ;) (at no extra cost, lol) I can't book the coach back from Gatwick yet for some reason, so will try again next week.

Apparently I have saved over £40 on buying ticket on the day!

Well, I have booked the train and been allocated forward facing seats in a quiet carriage ;) (at no extra cost, lol) I can't book the coach back from Gatwick yet for some reason, so will try again next week.

Apparently I have saved over £40 on buying ticket on the day!

Looks like we will be using the train to get to Manchester, Linda. More research!

We've also defected :eek:.

A cruise I've lusted over since 2013 suddenly became affordable so we jumped in.:)

I know it isn't everyones cup of tea but we are off to see the Solar Eclipse and the Northern Lights. Probably won't manage either but we definitely wouldn't see them if we stayed at home.;)

I'm so excited, and hubby said yes straight away. I usually have to persuade him for a couple of days.:rolleyes:

We are going on the coach as it is almost door to door for us, and like Jakanne driving to go is OK but coming home is just a pain. On second thoughts we would moan on the journey there too. Perhaps I should make some sandwiches???:D:D

Oh well done Vera. Are you going with Fred?

No P&O. Fred was the original cruise I saw but it was almost full before I found it and the prices were sky high.

They put another ship on, but it was still expensive.

Anyway saturation point must have been reached now because P&O reduced their price by nearly £2000.

Edited by happy v

No P&O. Fred was the original cruise I saw but it was almost full before I found it and the prices were sky high.

They put another ship on, but it was still expensive.

Anyway saturation point must have been reached now because P&O reduced their price by nearly £2000.

That's good Vera. Does it go from Southampton?

That's good Vera. Does it go from Southampton?

Yes, 17th March

What a fabulous trip, Vera.

I would love to do that one ;)

I must admit I'm really excited. The last one I was so excited about was Russia which you will be doing later in the year. You won't be disappointed.:)

Well done Vera. I read something ages ago that a Solar Eclipse cruise booked up extremely quickly.

It will be interesting to see how you get on with the 'coach trip'. Don't moan too much or you might get voted off. ;) :D

I know :D I had a look on the forum and people were being criticized for their punctuation!!!:eek::eek: I'll just sit quietly and read. Probably have read all my books before I get on board.

I checked the trains after Geo's post, it was about the same price as the coach but you had to change trains coming back and get to and from the station so I didn't bother.

I know :D I had a look on the forum and people were being criticized for their punctuation!!!:eek::eek: I'll just sit quietly and read. Probably have read all my books before I get on board.

I checked the trains after Geo's post, it was about the same price as the coach but you had to change trains coming back and get to and from the station so I didn't bother.

Your luggage is also more secure on a coach than on a train.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Linda. Mrs Len and I have recently first P&O cruise after mainly using Thomson. We had a great time on the Oriana despite Mrs Len's reservations about the dress code, dining arrangements, our initial booking problems & the P&O culture!

We quickly created our "routine" and were pleased we tried a different cruise company.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Mr & Mrs Len

Hi Linda. Mrs Len and I have recently first P&O cruise after mainly using Thomson. We had a great time on the Oriana despite Mrs Len's reservations about the dress code, dining arrangements, our initial booking problems & the P&O culture!

We quickly created our "routine" and were pleased we tried a different cruise company.

Mr & Mrs Len

Ooh, that's the one we're going on.

Is the dress code extremely strict?

Ooh, that's the one we're going on.

Is the dress code extremely strict?

Jut caught up with this happy v. We've been on Or is a and that is the size of ship we really liked! Big enough to have a few more options/public spaces and quite an airy feel. The cruise sounds amazing - what an experience. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

You'll have to check the specifics of the dress code (it will be in your Cruise Personaliser) but there will be formal nights where you are restricted to self service if you don't want to dress up although a suit is acceptable - DJ's not necessary. Some bars have restrictions on formal night but we found it a bit odd - go in with a jacket and then take it off and that appeared to be ok! Smart casual is like Thoms - nothing much different. We expected it to be quite stuffy but wasn't in the least.

Have a wonderful time! ;):)

Mr & Mrs Len

Thanks Len :) really looking forward to our cruise :)

Jut caught up with this happy v. We've been on Or is a and that is the size of ship we really liked! ;):)

Oops! ********* predictive text (or bad proof reading!!!!)

That 'Or is a' was meant to read Oriana! Liked the size and layout a great deal. Nice little cinema, good sized theatre, pool deck and comfortable cabin - nice ship. Big enough to get the extra features without too many passengers.