Eastern Caribbean itinerary with multiply disabled young man

Twogaterz

We are cruising on Oasis from 24 January with our multiply disabled son (aged 28).

He's travelled all over the world with us and whilst he cannot walk, he can climb steps in/out of a coach and has even been on a catamaran from a zodiac when we visited Majorca.

Has anyone got any advice or information on possible excursions that might be fun (and don't involve museums or nice views/zoos etc). As our daughter is also with us, we'd love to do a boat trip, with snorkelling for her but wonder whether or not there would be somewhere safe to stow a wheelchair either on board or at a pier. I found several trips online and of course Royal Caribbean offer a huge range of trips but the ones officially designated as 'accessible' just won't be of interest to our son (or us!).

Thanks for any suggestions!

It would help if you would list your ports.

Of course how silly of me - Nassau, St Thomas and St Martin. The wheelchair is a lightweight, collapsible manual model. My son can transfer from wheelchair to car or a coach (if he can sit at the front) and can manage a few steps on his knees if necessary. This will be his 5th cruise with Royal Caribbean. We booked the accessible loft suite to celebrate his sister's 30th and his 28th. We are all v excited now it's just 3 weeks away.

We have been on a cruise to the Caribbean twice. I have limited mobility, but can walk a short distance and manage steps. We have either taken a trip from the port as there are always loads of mini buses or taxis offering trips, or by booking in advance.

If you read the forums for your ports of call, you will find lots of recommendations of tour operators. I suggest you contact them and explain your son's situation. Don't bother with ship excursions, they are overpriced and you will be in a large coach with 50 other people. Even with a disability the Caribbean is very easy to do your own thing.

On almost all the trips we took my folding wheelchair, but I think there may have been one or two ports of call where the port security guard said he would keep it in is office, but there was no problem at all.

Of course how silly of me - Nassau, St Thomas and St Martin. The wheelchair is a lightweight, collapsible manual model. My son can transfer from wheelchair to car or a coach (if he can sit at the front) and can manage a few steps on his knees if necessary. This will be his 5th cruise with Royal Caribbean. We booked the accessible loft suite to celebrate his sister's 30th and his 28th. We are all v excited now it's just 3 weeks away.

These reviews may be of interest :

http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/nassau-bahamas-disabled-access

http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/st-maarten-disabled-access

http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/st-thomas-usvi-disabled-access

Important to note that being 3 weeks away it might be difficult to book accessible transportation if eve available as it's generally limited and books well (months) in advance.

Edited by xxoocruiser

We have been on a cruise to the Caribbean twice. I have limited mobility, but can walk a short distance and manage steps. We have either taken a trip from the port as there are always loads of mini buses or taxis offering trips, or by booking in advance.

If you read the forums for your ports of call, you will find lots of recommendations of tour operators. I suggest you contact them and explain your son's situation. Don't bother with ship excursions, they are overpriced and you will be in a large coach with 50 other people. Even with a disability the Caribbean is very easy to do your own thing.

On almost all the trips we took my folding wheelchair, but I think there may have been one or two ports of call where the port security guard said he would keep it in is office, but there was no problem at all.

Thanks for the guidance. Much appreciated.

These reviews may be of interest :

Important to note that being 3 weeks away it might be difficult to book accessible transportation if eve available as it's generally limited and books well (months) in advance.

Thank you - really helpful! :)

Thank you - really helpful! :)

Oh one very important thing that I forgot. Zip lining on the Oasis my not be off limit to your son. One of my friends who is wheelchair bound was allowed to zip line on the Allure back in 2010. It took some advance preparation on the part of the RCCL zip line staff. FYI it was RCCL's zip line staff that encouraged my friend it could be done.

I was traveling with a my group of other Friends all who have MS with varying levels of disability. One afternoon I scootered up to view how the staff prepared everyone for the zip line when the Manager of the Sports area came over and asked if I'd like to try it ? I advised that I was not interested but a person in our group had it on his bucket list but regrettably was now confined to wheelchair. To my surprise the manager gave me her direct number and ask that my friend or his wife contact her. The manager said she would carefully assess the situation to see if it could be safely done. She also explained that since RCCL partnered with the Make a Wish Foundation they were happy to attempt to make someone's bucket list item happen.

Well it was determined with a lot of help that the RCCL staff would attempt to make my friend's dream come true. The next afternoon they shut down the line and had several staff members in place at each end of the zip line. All staff were wearing their Make a Wish T shirts though my friend was not part of that program but it was a perfect opportunity for RCCL to promote it's partnership. At first those waiting in line were a little disgruntled but as soon as people realized what was taking place everyone was extremely supportive.

It took about 30-40 minutes to prep him and get him safely up on the push off platform. Since he was unable to lift his feet/legs to properly land the ending RCCL had placed staff on safety lines at the end of the zip line to reach out and grab his legs several to assist in the landing. It was quite a site to watch. Before he was pushed off from the start his wife moved his chair and aid dog over to the end of the zip line . Under the circumstances it was hard impact landing but my friend said he'd would do it all over again if possible. RCCL was fantastic !!!

When people began to realize what was about to occur everyone stopped to watch. The sports deck actually become quite quiet. Even people up in the Windjammer stopped everything to watch. When the ride was completed everyone cheered. The rest of the cruise my friend was like rock star . People were coming up congratulating him. Many other passengers had filmed it and sent the video to him for a keep sake. Originally I thought perhaps his wife would be upset with me but she was so appreciative that I helped to make his dream come true. She said it never occurred to her to even inquire about it. It goes unsaid that I sent an email to RCCL execs acknowledging everyone's efforts in accomplishing this.

We are cruising on Oasis from 24 January with our multiply disabled son (aged 28).

He's travelled all over the world with us and whilst he cannot walk, he can climb steps in/out of a coach and has even been on a catamaran from a zodiac when we visited Majorca.

Has anyone got any advice or information on possible excursions that might be fun (and don't involve museums or nice views/zoos etc). As our daughter is also with us, we'd love to do a boat trip, with snorkelling for her but wonder whether or not there would be somewhere safe to stow a wheelchair either on board or at a pier. I found several trips online and of course Royal Caribbean offer a huge range of trips but the ones officially designated as 'accessible' just won't be of interest to our son (or us!).

Thanks for any suggestions!

I believe there is a dive center at the Secret Harbor Beach Resort in St Thomas that offers diving and snorkeling tours for the disabled: http://www.aadivers.com

Oh one very important thing that I forgot. Zip lining on the Oasis my not be off limit to your son. One of my friends who is wheelchair bound was allowed to zip line on the Allure back in 2010. It took some advance preparation on the part of the RCCL zip line staff. FYI it was RCCL's zip line staff that encouraged my friend it could be done.

I was traveling with a my group of other Friends all who have MS with varying levels of disability. One afternoon I scootered up to view how the staff prepared everyone for the zip line when the Manager of the Sports area came over and asked if I'd like to try it ? I advised that I was not interested but a person in our group had it on his bucket list but regrettably was now confined to wheelchair. To my surprise the manager gave me her direct number and ask that my friend or his wife contact her. The manager said she would carefully assess the situation to see if it could be safely done. She also explained that since RCCL partnered with the Make a Wish Foundation they were happy to attempt to make someone's bucket list item happen.

Well it was determined with a lot of help that the RCCL staff would attempt to make my friend's dream come true. The next afternoon they shut down the line and had several staff members in place at each end of the zip line. All staff were wearing their Make a Wish T shirts though my friend was not part of that program but it was a perfect opportunity for RCCL to promote it's partnership. At first those waiting in line were a little disgruntled but as soon as people realized what was taking place everyone was extremely supportive.

It took about 30-40 minutes to prep him and get him safely up on the push off platform. Since he was unable to lift his feet/legs to properly land the ending RCCL had placed staff on safety lines at the end of the zip line to reach out and grab his legs several to assist in the landing. It was quite a site to watch. Before he was pushed off from the start his wife moved his chair and aid dog over to the end of the zip line . Under the circumstances it was hard impact landing but my friend said he'd would do it all over again if possible. RCCL was fantastic !!!

When people began to realize what was about to occur everyone stopped to watch. The sports deck actually become quite quiet. Even people up in the Windjammer stopped everything to watch. When the ride was completed everyone cheered. The rest of the cruise my friend was like rock star . People were coming up congratulating him. Many other passengers had filmed it and sent the video to him for a keep sake. Originally I thought perhaps his wife would be upset with me but she was so appreciative that I helped to make his dream come true. She said it never occurred to her to even inquire about it. It goes unsaid that I sent an email to RCCL execs acknowledging everyone's efforts in accomplishing this.

Wow fantastic. Because of our son's learning disabilities and cerebral palsy it's not something for him sadly. He did try the rock climbing back in 2007 on Voyager but the staff were not really geared up at the time to help and he wasn't that keen. Thank you so much for sharing this though. :)

Thanks LondonTowner very helpful. :)

• 1 month later...
these reviews may be of interest :

important to note that being 3 weeks away it might be difficult to book accessible transportation if eve available as it's generally limited and books well (months) in advance.

thank you !