For charge restaurants - yay or nay?

fandssullivan

My wife and I are nervous about eating in the steakhouse on Freedom because a few times a year we go to Del Frisco's, and they have the best steaks I've ever had the pleasure of digesting (albeit at a cool $40-$60 a pop). Also, living in Colorado, we already get some of the best beef the region has to offer, which adds to the reluctance of trying the steakhouse on the ship. Does anyone have insights as to the quality of beef served? Select, Choice, or (hopefully) Prime? That's a huge mitigating factor in dropping more coin on quite the expensive trip already. We aren't poor, but we also aren't in favor at throwing money at something we can achieve on the grill at home.

Folks interested in seeing what are some CC readers' standards for a "great meal" should check out this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2147334. Despite the reality that some cruisers may not live in an area full of fine dining choices, I am always amazed when I read on CC that a steakhouse on a ship served "the best meal they've ever had."

If food quality, in all venues on board, is important to you, look at Oceania for your next cruise. Even then, we're not talking about Michelin star dining (even in the specialty restaurants, which are no extra charge). At best, perhaps 2.5-3.0 stars (by the standard of The San Francisco Chronicle) - basically a very decent dining experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That was me. My Splendor steahouse experience was one of the best dining experiences I have had...food, ambience, service and company. As many people on that thread indicated, this is subjective. To me, dining is not that important. However, that meal was memorable and I look forward to doing it again in April!

• 1 month later...
Hi there,

We are going on our "first real cruise" next week on the Carnival Breeze (I worked on a cruise 10 years ago for about 6 months, DH and I have been on one free Bud Light 3 nighter, which really doesn't count!) and were thinking whether the upcharge restaurants were worth it or not?

We will be doing a 6 night cruise with 3 ports. We are doing excursions in all 3 ports.

Since he doesn't eat sushi it would be a question of the Steakhouse and or the Italian. Are they worth the extra money and do they add to the experience of the cruise?

Thanks so much for any and all input!

Do you by chance have a picture of cabin 8336 on the Breeze? I noticed you wrote a review on it. We are in that cabin in January, cant wait!