Just set sail from NJ and......

mw_1970

We had dinner last night in Silk. Same general chaos but good food. Asian food is not our favorite so we have cancelled our second reservation in Silk. DW and I enjoy 270 as our go-to space for playing cards etc. The afternoon videos have been fun. I discovered the one called "Hello" has two endings.

Earlier in the day I did iFly. WOW. A great experience. Book this early on line when you can. On line Reservations opened only a month before our cruise. Don't give up if iFly fills up as they will take standbys to fill no shows. We had three no shows in our time slot.

Today we will try the stair landing on deck 14 with the glass floor that looks straight down the main elevator shaft. Maybe they can call this the SouthStar experience?

For you theatre techies here is a picture of the piano in 270 on the lower level of the lift from the main floor. They were resetting the room for Starwater.

ImageUploadedByForums1420546594.099053.jpg.24465b0a43bc6fd6d2818e7bda197a5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi!

Enjoying your onboard review! Could you please tell me if there is a movie theater on the Quantum ? Can't seem to remember if I saw one on the Deck Plans, or where it might be located?

IF there is one, could you tell me what is currently being shown ? My DH loves an afternoon show (nap) on some sea days!

My thanks, in advance!

5 Days till I'm onboard! - Miriam :D

Hi!

Enjoying your onboard review! Could you please tell me if there is a movie theater on the Quantum ? Can't seem to remember if I saw one on the Deck Plans, or where it might be located?

IF there is one, could you tell me what is currently being shown ? My DH loves an afternoon show (nap) on some sea days!

My thanks, in advance!

5 Days till I'm onboard! - Miriam :D

On our 12/20 sailing, I believe they were showing Penguins of Madagascar in 3D in the Royal Theater on one of the last sea days- we didn't go as my DD had seen it around Thanksgiving.

Last night was great

Started in Boleros for Cocktails

Jamie's for dinner. Fantastic. We shared arancini, baked mushrooms and squid. My wife had prawn linguini and I had the Italian Burger. We then shared an ice cream for dessert. Beautiful food and great service. We had to wait 30 mins for our table but once seated service was fun, friendly and exceptional.

Back to boleros for some Latin music and drinks then Two70 where we caught the last 15 minutes of Starwater which looked great. Two70 then went into full nightclub mode and was packed. Dance floor was heaving and music great.

Left Two70 around 12:15 and headed to Music Hall for more partying. Really good music and atmosphere and busy dance floor again.

Made it to bed around 2:15 but the party was still goin on.

Woke this "morning" at 12:30pm! We are like teenagers on this cruise !

Still cruising towards Puerto Rico and currently lunching in American Icon. Nice restaurant, good service and so far so good.

Tonight back to Devinly Decadent for dinner.

Thanks for your onboard review, enjoying it very much. We sail on January 23rd. Is there a piano bar at all? Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't believe there is a piano bar onboard actually. Most music seems to be from DJs

I don't believe there is a piano bar onboard actually. Most music seems to be from DJs

Unless something has changed the Schooner Bar should have a piano performer. Please let us know if you observe otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Unless something has changed the Schooner Bar should have a piano performer. Please let us know if you observe otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Ah yes there is a piano in Schooner but every time I pass by there is a trivia quiz taking place.

Change of plan tonight.

Was supposed to be dining again in Solarium Bistro but after last nights meal changed to Jamies again.

Walked up at 6:30 requested 7:30 "no problem"

Came back at 7:30 and seated immediately. Maybe because we are in port in Puerto Rico tonight I don't know but still good service.

Have heard great things tonight about Grande. Luckily I have a jacket so will book for Thursday. No need for a tie apparently.

Change of plan tonight.

Was supposed to be dining again in Solarium Bistro but after last nights meal changed to Jamies again.

Came back at 7:30 and seated immediately. Maybe because we are in port in Puerto Rico tonight I don't know but still good service.

Have heard great things tonight about Grande. Luckily I have a jacket so will book for Thursday. No need for a tie apparently.

Heh, we were at jamies at the same time ! So good, we've had 3 reservations there. So far also enjoyed coastal kitchen twice for lunch, chic, and the grande. American icon on the first night was meh, but that's been the only bad-ish dining experience we've had. Jacket with no tie is fine for the grande.

There is a fabulous piano player in schooner bar every night. Sometimes there is also one late afternoon - seen him on the schedule, but not in person.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said we're like teenagers on this cruise. Last night, after starwater (which even my friend who hates shows loved ), we ended up seeing the bon jovi cover band til after midnight, and then had pizza and burgers in windjammer til after 1 am. I've never been so busy on a cruise, in a good way.

And still loving the music. : )

[quote name='smdubowsky']enjoying the nearly realtime reviews. Sounds like quantum is slowly working out the kinks. Please keep the ship in good shape. We are boarding this Sunday![/QUOTE]

I definitely think they are aware of the issues and are working on them. There are still definitely some kinks - no working freestyle machines this cruise, that sculpture that looks like a mobius strip with digital images has not been turned on, waited 20 min for dinner in amer icon and 10 min for grande - but for the most part, things are great. So far all restaurants have asst waiters, which i think is helping. Our dinners have been taking 1.5 hrs or so, for a party of 6.

Then again, you cant help who your fellow passengers are. Sailing into san juan today, i look over at the side of the ship (im on a hump balcony so can see down the side) , and the guy on the balcony next to me is in his tighty whiteys, smoking a cigarette, and then his preteen or early teen son comes out in HIS underwear. There were tons of folks on land taking pix of the ship - theyre going to get an eyeful ! Dh was using the wide angle lens on our camera, so this guy is in some of our shots, too. Im entitling the collection "full moon over san juan. "

[quote name='mw_1970']Change of plan tonight.

Have heard great things tonight about Grande. Luckily I have a jacket so will book for Thursday. No need for a tie apparently.[/QUOTE]

Don't know why they bothered having the Grande be a " formal " dining room other than yet another way to dissuade use of complimentary dining venue versus added charge one?

The reason I say that is that a ship having a formal night is a total experience for most part. I don't get the designating one " formal " attire restaurant especially considering you can wear pretty much what you want anyway as long as you throw on some sort of jacket. What's the point? If you are not going to have formal nights ship wide might as well do away with it totally.

The other thing, I would think that the expensive steak house type restaurant would be the place to require jacket and tie anyway. Chops is supposed to be a high end restaurant. Most of those require a dress code. Though living in NY area would not consider Chops more than a run of the mill steak house. I don't mean that to be a nose in the air remark, it's just a fact. But never happen, they might lose a buck there.

I did bring and wear a suit one evening during our cruise but never dined in Grande. Wore it in Chops for Christmas evening. That's fine was my preference to dress for Christmas.

Again to me if you are not doing it ship wide, if you are not really requiring proper attire for that format, then not doing it at all makes far more sense to me.

George in NY

We are docked at the pier in Old San Juan. On Tuesday Westerdam and Norwegian Gem were here when we arrived and they both departed by 7 pm. Today one of the Disney ships is here.

Last night we walked into town to Castillo San Cristobal. They normally close at 6 pm but are open late on Tuesday nights for lantern tours of the fort. For Three Kings Day they also had a guitar orchestra. This was pleasant surprise. The town was very busy until late.

Wesley

[quote name='karmacats']I definitely think they are aware of the issues and are working on them. There are still definitely some kinks - no working freestyle machines this cruise, that sculpture that looks like a mobius strip with digital images has not been turned on, waited 20 min for dinner in amer icon and 10 min for grande - but for the most part, things are great. So far all restaurants have asst waiters, which i think is helping. Our dinners have been taking 1.5 hrs or so, for a party of 6.

Then again, you cant help who your fellow passengers are. Sailing into san juan today, i look over at the side of the ship (im on a hump balcony so can see down the side) , and the guy on the balcony next to me is in his tighty whiteys, smoking a cigarette, and then his preteen or early teen son comes out in HIS underwear. There were tons of folks on land taking pix of the ship - theyre going to get an eyeful ! Dh was using the wide angle lens on our camera, so this guy is in some of our shots, too. Im entitling the collection "full moon over san juan. "[/QUOTE]

The digital strip mid ship deck 5 is finally on today. Looks cool.