Nassau For A Day - A Photo Review

markntara

We are mid-40's,and living the dream. Got back yesterday from a New Years itinerary that included a stop in Nassau. Our best experiences have been to just go do our own thing, so here it is ...

I was off the ship first thing for a run, 7:55am, without the wife. I ran out to the far end of Fish Fry (Arawak Cay), then took the southern neighborhoods back. Didn't see anything "bad" happening, and never felt a threat.

1013_zps1bdc2d1f.jpg

From the port to Fish Fry, along the most direct "Scenic Route", around the Hilton, passing Junkanoo Beach, it was 1.18 miles. right near 9 minutes. A fast, sea level flat, no incline run if any one is interested in that.

A little cardio and incline work by taking Nassau Street away from Arawak, maneuver over to Baillou Hill and work your way up the back side toward Government House, turn right at Graycliff (Hill Street) and head toward Fort Fincastle. It was mid 70s and humid, 5.86 miles according to my GPS watch.

I sat down on a bench in Pompey Square and picked up a conversation with a lovely soul, a slim Bahamian lady with dreads. Ms. Helina Smith was as interested in the reasoning for my sweat as I was her life in Nassau.

When I mentioned my plan for the day, that I had studied hard, and was looking to make my own "Cracked Conch, Sky Juice & Beer" tour, Ms Helina smiled, talked about her late husbands recipe for Sky Juice and recommended I try the new restaurant, Conch N' Kalik. She had enjoyed their conch a few days before. We shared about 40 minutes together on that bench before my wife showed up. It was a great start to an awesome day.

Located just past the straw market, near Senor Frogs, the Conch N' Kalik Bar & Grill has indoor and out door seating. They try to be bit upscale, which is anything but fun when I was looking for "down home" goodness. They served us a decent Sky Juice, but in a champagne glass with nutmeg sprinkled on top.

The cracked conch was fried up with light batter but with some sort of bell pepper and onion strewn in, I imagine for color?. We found the bell pepper took away from the subtle conch flavor. They were a bit pricey too. 3 Sky Juice, 1 Kalik, 1 Cracked Conch plate with peas & rice, and Mac-n-Cheese = $68.00

c1425acc-0e03-46ea-8ef6-91eff05d21a4_zpsc2afe77a.jpg

After reading reviews at Cruise Critic, we didn't want to pass a chance to sample the Bahamian Kitchen. They had a food tour there when we arrived, so we slid up to the bar, a setting straight out of 1970ish decor. Another shared plate of dang near perfect fried conch came with some tarter sauce.

1010_zps737f7ffb.jpg

2 Kalik Beers, and according to my wife, a very good Pina Colada that was served in a tall pilsner glass. They're certainly on "Island Time", but the food was good, and only a few blocks form the cruise dock. Check total, $26.00

Our third stop took us on the #10 Jitney, and me back to Arawak Cay for a sample of Goldies. Their Cracked Conch is off the chain good, the best we had.

1012_zps1f580bbe.jpg

Everything on the menu must be pretty good, locals were lined up getting To-Go boxes.

1014_zps103a66ae.jpg

1 Kalik light, 2 Sands Lights, 2 Sky Juice, 1 Coke and Cracked Conch with Fries, $34.00

1017_zps06288c1b.jpg

We jumped on a crowded #10 Jitney for a ride back toward the cruise dock, but exited at Junkanoo Beach to sample the Tiki Bikini Bar's Sky Juice.

1015_zpsdd121f6a.jpg

They were good for styrofoam cup drinks, but at $12.00 each, expensive.

Then a stop by Senor Frogs for a ... Sky Juice

1018_zps924d1213.jpg

and in closing ...

1019_zpsb7098f96.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my review, and go make your day whatever you want it to be.

Cheers!