Pre-paid beverage plans

Caroline94501

We're trying to decide which (if any) pre-paid beverage plans to get. Hubby is a non-drinker, coffee addict. I am a light drinker, mostly wine, but the cocktails look yummy. The coffee cuddle looks good at $31 for 15 drinks. Also looking at the More-For-Less-Escape-Pass looks interesting but not sure it's a good deal. At $4.67 per item, using a voucher for soda, juice, premium tea or take-away ice cream seems overpriced even for a cruise ship and I'd be better off paying for them. But we've never been on MSC so we're not sure what the price is.

Are we charged for regular brewed coffee at non-meal times? If so, do the coffee cuddle give unlimited brewed coffee at all times? That's how it worked with the coffee card on our last cruise with Princess. As long as we had one stamp left on the coffee card, we got free coffee.

I'm leaning towards the Coffee Cuddle and the 12 drink vouchers and pay for soda, ice cream and tea.

Any suggestions? BTW - this is a 4 day cruise so I doubt we will use up all of the vouchers

TIA

Caroline

Also, I found this comment on MSC's website regarding the coffee cuddle "The vouchers are for consumption in the bars." Seriously? We can only get the coffee in the bar? Is this enforced?

Caroline

It is where the decent stuff is. It's Italain, Italians go to bars for coffee. There are bars everywhere.

BTW you are better to pre order not pre pay for drinks packages. If you add to your onboard spend the money counts for points for the loyalty programme, prepaying doesn't.

We bought Coffee Cuddle on the website. It's worth it if frozen & specialty coffees are consumed (they are $4.50+15%) on board. Expresso & coffee are in $2-3 ballpark. We also bought 12 cocktail pack for $72 ($6 per drink). A slightly better deal is sold on board $84+15%=$96.60 for 18 or $5.37 per drink. I think it's called Maxi Deal & covers beer, wine & cocktails.

We bought Coffee Cuddle on the website. It's worth it if frozen & specialty coffees are consumed (they are $4.50+15%) on board. Expresso & coffee are in $2-3 ballpark. We also bought 12 cocktail pack for $72 ($6 per drink). A slightly better deal is sold on board $84+15%=$96.60 for 18 or $5.37 per drink. I think it's called Maxi Deal & covers beer, wine & cocktails.

I would never use all 18 drinks. I doubt I'll use the 12. Does the cocktail pack include the lower cost wines? If it doesn't I just may be better off paying per drink.

Caroline

If I remember wine starts at $5.50+15% per glass so prepaid $6 cocktail ticket still worth it. But if one wants only to drink wine or shots I wouldn't buy the package as savings are pretty minor. Beer is $5+.

Also, I found this comment on MSC's website regarding the coffee cuddle "The vouchers are for consumption in the bars." Seriously? We can only get the coffee in the bar? Is this enforced?

Caroline

You will find many bars including one or two in the buffet :) coffee can be ordered at any of them - in the buffet you can access coffee from the machine at any time. The machine coffee is very good, similar to what I would use in my plunger at home and it is free. Made from ground coffee.

Edited by Janet&Carl

We're trying to decide which (if any) pre-paid beverage plans to get. Hubby is a non-drinker, coffee addict. I am a light drinker, mostly wine, but the cocktails look yummy. The coffee cuddle looks good at $31 for 15 drinks. Also looking at the More-For-Less-Escape-Pass looks interesting but not sure it's a good deal. At $4.67 per item, using a voucher for soda, juice, premium tea or take-away ice cream seems overpriced even for a cruise ship and I'd be better off paying for them. But we've never been on MSC so we're not sure what the price is.

Are we charged for regular brewed coffee at non-meal times? If so, do the coffee cuddle give unlimited brewed coffee at all times? That's how it worked with the coffee card on our last cruise with Princess. As long as we had one stamp left on the coffee card, we got free coffee.

I'm leaning towards the Coffee Cuddle and the 12 drink vouchers and pay for soda, ice cream and tea.

Any suggestions? BTW - this is a 4 day cruise so I doubt we will use up all of the vouchers

TIA

Caroline

We bought the full drinks package and it was the best decision ever! We did not enjoy the breakfast coffee - so we ordered speciality coffees at breakfast. Soft drinks (we sailed in Summer, so it was HOT out) and Ice Creams are included in the package. Even if you don't drink alcohol I would say the drinks package is worth every cent.