Princess Cruise Lines Teens

cruisingirl13

Hi everyone! I have some questions about the teen club on Princess Cruise Lines. I have heard that Princess isnt child/teen oriented, is that true? Also, I have a 13 year old girl what activities are on board and is she going to be with older teens? Thank you!:):D

The number and demographics of kids onboard depend on itinerary and date. On our mid-December partial Canal transit, there were very few pre-adults onboard. The following cruise, during winter vacation, there were something like 450 kids booked. Plenty of kids on a week-long rt Mexico cruise out of LA, almost none on an 18-day trans-Atlantic, But yeah, compared to many lines, Princess does have youth-oriented clubs but not stuff like Disney shows, towel animals, Nickelodeon character parades, and water slides, one reason some of us prefer to cruise Princess.

Edited by shepp

As noted, the breakdown will depend on how many teens there are. Not as many teens cruise Princess as some other lines, so off peak, there may be consolidation.

Princess offers a perfectly adequate teen program for what they have to work with. They do not have the facilities that RCCL and NCL have on their larger ships (rock walls, ice skating, dedicated teen sun decks (I think the Royal and Regal may have that), flowriders, etc...)

My 16 year old nephew cruised with us to Canada. There were, I think he said, 12 teens on board. Total. Needless to say not a robust teen program, mostly they hung out and watched movies with snacks, etc. Now for a teen, that's not always a bad thing. He didn't seem to mind. It was also a 5 port in 6 day itinerary.

On the flip side, he was also on a cruise with over 200 13-18s. They had multiple groups of teens in each age range, they had dances, ice cream socials, pool nights. Even had a teen night in the sanctuary.

I'll be cruising with my 11 and 13 year old daughters on the Emerald Princess this summer and I'm getting concerned that there won't be too many similarly aged kids for them to interact with. Don't get me wrong, love my kids, but I imagine we'll all want time away. It's summertime and the Mediterranean, so I'm hoping there will be older kids on board.

We were on the Caribbean Princess this past summer with my 13 year old DD. She loved the activities and the staff. There were older teens but the younger teens tended to stick together and the older ones tended to stay together.

The number of teens is really dependant on the itinerary and the time of year. School breaks will be much busier than cruises while class is in session.

Our kids are now 14 and 12 and they've been on Princess, RCI and Carnival. The like Princess best. Princess has fresh water pools, but no rock climbing, no flowriders, no water slides. Its more of a "relax" type cruiseline than a "constantly active" line. Our kids enjoy the down time.

We've cruised both during peak school vacation times when there are hundreds of kids on board as well as 10 day cruises during off peak times when there were only handfuls. Both have advantages. If its busy - lots of kids, lots of scheduled activities, lots of different folks and you'll likely find friends. If its empty, the few may not be the right age group, but likely the teen club will be more empty than full and the few will have their choice of activities rather than a rigid schedule.

OP - you don't mention when or where you are planning. If it is during major school holidays then there will for sure be other kids. If off peak then not as many. But sometimes families who homeschool cruise off peak, plus we Canadians have fewer challenges taking our kids out for a week so sometimes you'll see a few Canadian kids. Although once ours get to grade 9 we pull them out less and less.

Don in LA - we've never done Europe but from what I've read here, when school is out, lots of families cruise the Med. I'm sure there will be other kids.

Check out the official descriptions here:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/youth_teen/

You can always phone Princess and ask how many kids are onboard - they used to give out total numbers booked.

As others have said, when you go will determine how many kids are on board. So if school is out for much of the area you're cruising in (eg. with the Mexican Riviera cruises, there's undoubtedly many kids around Easter time as that's spring break for many So Cal schools as well as colleges), you'll get more kids. If school is in session, less kids. And that's for most mass market cruise lines.

My daughter was 13 and 15 on our last two cruises, which were on the Golden Princess at holiday times (two weeks to RT to Hawaii). So plenty of kids, including teens. She said she felt the Remix program was "lame," but of course, at that age, anything organized by adults may be lame to them.

I would advise that you take your teen to the Remix area on the first night so she can meet the other teens. My daughter met some girls her age that night and they spent a lot of time with each other going to the pool area (watching the movies, etc.), playing table tennis, playing computer games (Remix has those), etc. She also caught a lot of the shows. Before the next cruise, she found out one of the girls was going to (they were Facebook friends) so they made plans to meet up. They joined with another girl and three boys in their age group and every time I saw that group, they seemed to be having fun.

You'll get a packet of info about Remix with a daily schedule for the teens in your cabin. Your daughter may look that over and feel this will be fun.

We just got off the Star and our 14 year old daughter (who admittedly is a bit of a recluse) loved the kids club. They had video games and board games, movies and mocktail-making contests (which she enjoyed) as well as zumba/yoga classes, sports activities and disco nights (which were not so much her style). They also did a few crafty things, like making lanyard/friendship bracelets. They had quiz nights and raffles and other contests, and a voluntary 'murder' game (one of those things where you have a target and you can 'get' them anywhere around the ship). It was certainly plenty to keep my daughter occupied!

FWIW, my kids (I also have a 12 year old son) also enjoyed the library (they both borrowed books) and the kids' movies on the TV (2 new movies per day, usually computer-animated films like Frozen, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Rio, etc. but also some live action such as Earth to Echo). And then they loved the pools. They certainly weren't bored on the ship for 15 days!

Edited by helenb

Here are the Remix schedules from our Alaskan cruise 3 years ago. Obviously, if you are sailing in a different region, themes will be different, but general types of activities will be similar.

http://s204.photobucket.com/user/cruisinmama06/library/Princess%20Patters?sort=3&page=1

They are the second set of images, after the Shockwaves ones.

My teens won't cruise Princess again. We went over Thanksgiving so there were lots of kids and they met kids but didn't care for the ship (CB) or teen group activities. My kids enjoy Royal, NCL and Carnival much better for activities in their age group - FWIW that was just our experience on Princess as a family. Hubby and I only sail Princess when it's us but choose other lines for a family cruise.

As others have said' date=' when you go will determine how many kids are on board. So if school is out for much of the area you're cruising in (eg. with the Mexican Riviera cruises, there's undoubtedly many kids around Easter time as that's spring break for many So Cal schools as well as colleges), you'll get more kids. If school is in session, less kids. And that's for most mass market cruise lines.

My daughter was 13 and 15 on our last two cruises, which were on the Golden Princess at holiday times (two weeks to RT to Hawaii). So plenty of kids, including teens. She said she felt the Remix program was "lame," but of course, at that age, anything organized by adults may be lame to them.

I would advise that you take your teen to the Remix area on the first night so she can meet the other teens. My daughter met some girls her age that night and they spent a lot of time with each other going to the pool area (watching the movies, etc.), playing table tennis, playing computer games (Remix has those), etc. She also caught a lot of the shows. Before the next cruise, she found out one of the girls was going to (they were Facebook friends) so they made plans to meet up. They joined with another girl and three boys in their age group and every time I saw that group, they seemed to be having fun.

You'll get a packet of info about Remix with a daily schedule for the teens in your cabin. Your daughter may look that over and feel this will be fun.[/quote']

Thanks so much! We are going spring break to the caribbean for 9 days. Do you think there will be kids on board?

Hi everyone! I have some questions about the teen club on Princess Cruise Lines. I have heard that Princess isnt child/teen oriented, is that true? Also, I have a 13 year old girl what activities are on board and is she going to be with older teens? Thank you!:):D

With teens go CCL or RCL.

Thanks so much! We are going spring break to the caribbean for 9 days. Do you think there will be kids on board?

Spring break seems to be spread over many weeks. If you're going in March or early April, very possible many kids will be out of school. The local school district here in L.A. (the second biggest in the country) always takes off the week leading up to Easter and many of the Catholic private schools take off the following week. That's how it's been even way back in the dinosaur era when I was a kid.