Gratuity on Free Ultimate Beverage Package

biguntx

Hey all, I too was confused about this and spoke with a NCL representative, if you are booking any cabin where you have to choose between 1 or 2 offers then you have to pay the surcharge. The cabins that come with all 5 offers automatically like the suites and the haven, the surcharge will be waived for you as a courtesy. We just booked a Haven suite on the Epic and we did not get charged the surcharge. We didn't get charged anything extra, just our cabin price and the taxes, port fee, etc.. When I asked how will I tip my bartenders, she told me tip was already included in the offer and the surcharge has been waived so we didn't have to pay anything additional if we didn't want to but we could give extra to the bartenders as we get our drinks.

http://www.ncl.com/promo/ultimate-beverage-package/terms

Any alcoholic beverages $10 and under, which is nearly everything.

Just browsing and saw this old thread as someone revived it. Interesting how things change in 2 years :) $10 and under, which is nearly everything, those were the good old days...

'An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to all package purchases; your check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries'

This was included in the link you provided. I just recently booked my first cruise with NCL and took the complimentary Ultimate drink package. The NCL agent then charged us $99 per person "service charge" for the package.

So, when they add 18% onto each drink are we tipping twice?

I thought I would ask here before calling back to NCL.

Thanks in advance for any info

I had the opportunity, upon booking, to receive the Ultimate Beverage Package free. I goes without saying that I accepted the offer.

However, since I did not pay for the package, how do I tip?

As I understand the process, upon purchase of the package a 15% gratuity is tacked on....

I want the recognize the hard working bar staff but I'm not sure of the protocol in this circumstance.

I am very familiar the gratuity process but not very familiar with the for free process as it relates to booking a cruise.

Help.

Thanks in advance[/quote

The Bartenders already know you got screwed.

No need to add additional.

However if you get a cute one :hearteyes: tip away!

'An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to all package purchases; your check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries'

This was included in the link you provided. I just recently booked my first cruise with NCL and took the complimentary Ultimate drink package. The NCL agent then charged us $99 per person "service charge" for the package.

They don't add another 18% when you get a drink once you have the beverage package. You only pay the "service charge" up front.

In fact, you won't see any other charges for (included) beverages unless you go over the $15 per drink limit. Then they charge you the difference plus 18% on the difference.

I had the opportunity, upon booking, to receive the Ultimate Beverage Package free. I goes without saying that I accepted the offer.

However, since I did not pay for the package, how do I tip?

As I understand the process, upon purchase of the package a 15% gratuity is tacked on....

I want the recognize the hard working bar staff but I'm not sure of the protocol in this circumstance.

I am very familiar the gratuity process but not very familiar with the for free process as it relates to booking a cruise.

Help.

Thanks in advance[/quote

The Bartenders already know you got screwed.

No need to add additional.

However if you get a cute one :hearteyes: tip away!

It's now 18% - not 15%.

They won't add 18% onto each drink. You paid the 18% in the service charge on the package, which takes care of that.

The only time you will see 18% added is if you order something either not covered by the package (specialty coffee, for example) or when you order something more expensive than the package covers (so above the $15 limit). In the case of the latter, they will only add 18% onto the additional charge. So if you order an $18 drink, they will only add 18% to the $3 overage.

Excellent to know! Thanks!
Bear in mind that you are paying 18% gratuities for the free UBP, they are automatically added to your cruise cost in the beginning. I believe it is $14.95 per person per day. Our cost for our 14 day cruise is about $400 something. So check your balance before you give your final payment, it will be listed there.

They don't add another 18% when you get a drink once you have the beverage package. You only pay the "service charge" up front.

In fact, you won't see any other charges for (included) beverages unless you go over the $15 per drink limit. Then they charge you the difference plus 18% on the difference.

Not entirely true as you will be charged a TAX in port on your drinks. Minimal as it is there is a Charge!

We had the UBP...we are novices, but on our Getaway cruise last fall I brought $100 in 1's and tipped a buck a drink and I swear by the third day they knew us...What we drank...And had them ready when they saw us in line. When you consider how much you spend on the cruise, that small tip a drink is pretty insignificant.

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app