Galveston port

Should you rent a car from Houston to get to Galveston and if you do will the rental be picked up at port. Then what about return trip

Galveston is particularly difficult for the fly-in cruiser. There is only one rental company (Enterprise) on the island that is open in Sunday, and last time I checked, they don't accept one-way rentals.

I would ask your question on the Gulf Coast Departures forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

Two years ago we had the same problem with nobody open on Sunday. There were a couple of hotels that had rental desks, but again they weren't staffed on Sunday. So, they didn't check in the car until Monday and you got charged for an extra day.

We ended up getting a car service from the airport to Galveston Holiday Inn. Then just took a taxi to the port the next day.

You must try Boudin Balls at Leo's Cajun Corner. It's nothing fancy, but the food is outstanding. We took a taxi there for dinner and then had him pick us up the next day to the port.

If you can, fly into HOU, it's about 30 miles closer to GVS, than IAH. A rent car can be parked near the port for $55 to $75 per 7-day cruise. Google parking Galveston port for more info. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

Here is another rental car option: Reserve a one way rental from Avis or Budget from airport returning to Texas City, TX. Call the return Avis/Budget; currently they will schedule to drive you to port for $50 per vehicle (you can carpool with others for same $50 if all people and luggage will fit in one rental car). on my dates, this is less expensive than a car service or shuttle from IAH to Galveston. And I'll have wheels to enjoy visiting the area and pick up wine, etc. YMMV.

i am not sure if this will work in reverse, too; we are using the ship transfer to return to the airport this time.

Here's another option if one is flying in the day prior to embarkation and needs a hotel room. We are flying Southwest into Hobby and we used Hotwire for our Jan 10th hotel and rental car before embarking Navigator on the 11th. As we are cruising with another couple, we booked two king bed rooms at Super 8 League City/Kemah, which is about 15 miles south of Hobby just off of the I-45 Gulf Fwy, along with a Dollar full size car for transportation the day before and the day of our cruise for $120 total cost for all.

With Hotwire if one selects a package, in this case a hotel and car, it shows the actual names of the hotel offered and you don't book blind as with the hotel only booking.

Remember you can upgrade the car as the first offering is the cheapest usually with a economy car.

To get to the ship our plan is to drive down the approximately 25 miles further to Galveston with the rental car early on embarkation morning and drop off luggage and three of us. Then I or the other DH will return the car to Hobby and take the ship's transfer back as you realize Galveston is not the easiest or cheapest port to get to without driving there.

You could do the above with a rental car if your flight gets in very early although IMO you really need four in your party to make it worth doing this.

For two arriving embarkation day I would just take the cruise shuttle service.

Edited by robtulipe

• 2 weeks later...
Here is another rental car option: Reserve a one way rental from Avis or Budget from airport returning to Texas City, TX. Call the return Avis/Budget; currently they will schedule to drive you to port for $50 per vehicle (you can carpool with others for same $50 if all people and luggage will fit in one rental car). on my dates, this is less expensive than a car service or shuttle from IAH to Galveston. And I'll have wheels to enjoy visiting the area and pick up wine, etc. YMMV.

i am not sure if this will work in reverse, too; we are using the ship transfer to return to the airport this time.

I just booked this same type of one way from the airport to Texas City. Did you have to call the Texas City location in advance for the drive to port? I booked a one way return rental too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

For one of our future cruise we are flying into IAH same day as cruise and using a car service to get to the pier. On our return home we will be using ship transfers to return to IAH. Does this sound right?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What time will your flight arrive at IAH?