Beer Buckets VS UBP SKY 3 Day

Bryna123

We only drink beer occasionally wine. I am looking to see if we should purchase UBP, The corks and caps, or just nothing? Thinking we will take wine onboard with us @&15 cork fee.

seems to be a lot of add on gratuities? I dont mind if service warrants it.

What is break even point?

Off topic---why are other topic posts highlighted dark like they are priority on this forum? I find CC not very user friendly or even reply generous as a 1st time user here- not like Trip advisor.

Just my observation over the last few months.

We only drink beer occasionally wine. I am looking to see if we should purchase UBP, The corks and caps, or just nothing? Thinking we will take wine onboard with us @&15 cork fee.

seems to be a lot of add on gratuities? I dont mind if service warrants it.

What is break even point?

The cost of the UBP on a 3 day cruise is over the 200 mark (I want to say 210 including gratuity) if I recall correctly and can only be bought on board. Beer is only about 6.00 on board so if you can drink 34+ beers in those 3 days (embarkation day, Nassau day, and GSC day) then it could be worth it. Just remember that you have to get each drink one at a time so sitting at the beach with a couple of beers cannot happen with GSC (Beer bucks are not part of the UBP).

Thank you NYC2theworld. $210 does seem high. I think we will stick to the original plan and take a couple bottles of wine with us. If we don't drink them, I understand we don't pay the $15 fee.

So no beer buckets at all on the Sky?

Off topic---why are other topic posts highlighted dark like they are priority on this forum? I find CC not very user friendly or even reply generous as a 1st time user here- not like Trip advisor.

Just my observation over the last few months.

Highlighted dark posts are simply posts made since the last time you logged in.

Thank you NYC2theworld. $210 does seem high. I think we will stick to the original plan and take a couple bottles of wine with us. If we don't drink them, I understand we don't pay the $15 fee.

Yes there are beer buckets on the Sky. Pay for 5, get one free. About 32/33 dollars per bucket including gratuity.

I'm not sure about the wine. I know when you board they will count your wine and charge you then for the total # of bottles brought on board. I'm not sure if you can go to guest services the morning of debarkation to get the extra bottles not consumed removed.

Sorry I wasn't clear, beer bucks are available, just are not a part of the UBP. They are available both on the ship and on GSC.

One more question, just to be certain we dont want the UBP. If we have the UBP is the beer served in bottles or cans (like in the bucket) or is it on tap in a small plastic cup?

With the UBP since you can't order a bucket, the only time they would ask someone who has a single beer (as opposed to a bucket) to pour it in a plastic cup is if they are in the hot tub or pool. I believe, but can't remember, on GSC that they will serve in a bottle but if you want to walk away from the bar, they will ask to put it in a plastic cup. Otherwise its served however it came from the brewery/distributor.

One more question, just to be certain we dont want the UBP. If we have the UBP is the beer served in bottles or cans (like in the bucket) or is it on tap in a small plastic cup?

With the UBP since you can't order a bucket, the only time they would ask someone who has a single beer (as opposed to a bucket) to pour it in a plastic cup is if they are in the hot tub or pool. I believe, but can't remember, on GSC that they will serve in a bottle but if you want to walk away from the bar, they will ask to put it in a plastic cup. Otherwise its served however it came from the brewery/distributor.

Some beers are served in glass bottles and some are in cans. The bottled beer probably would have to be poured in plastic cups for the hot tub or pool. Canned beer is OK near the pool/hot tub.

• 2 weeks later...
We had the the UBP on the Sky 4 day over Thanksgiving 2013. Since then I heard that the UPB was no longer offered on cruises less than 7 days - you may want to check its availability.

It is offered, but you can only purchase after boarding, unless it was part of a pre-paid package that they are advertising now for new cruises. My brother and I are contemplating whether or not to purchase UBP for our upcoming 3 day SKY cruise Feb 6-9...any more thoughts out there on the value for a short cruise like this?

Kismet we sail Jan 30 so I will try and post my thoughts and expenses. It seems we would barely break even and I would feel "get my moneys worth of booze¨ the whole time, so right now not planning to buy.

Will update what happens in the real world!

• 2 weeks later...

To update this post with our experience.

We did purchase the Corks and Caps plan for $304 total. The plan with hard liquor was $440 and we rarely drink that. We were happy with Corks & Caps after seeing people walk around lugging their bucket of beer, we were glad not to do that. If we wanted to leave one area we just got a new drink in the new spot. A lot of the beer is served in larger 16 oz. cans. The Coors Light has a twist off resealable cap so you can order and take to the room for later. Average price was $6.33 including gratuity for beer and $9.20 for wine. We kept our slips and the total was $440.14 = about 8- 9 drinks each per day- although we would not have walked away from so many drinks if we did not have the plan.

I would buy it again, not for value, but for the indiscriminate ordering :)