VERY Last minute Cozumel, Key West

OldinJersey

A few questions..We are going Jan 17th from Tampa on a short Royal caribbean Brilliance of Seas cruise. I meant to get a newer scooter but likely using my old tzora easy travel deluxe scooter, folds like a baby scooter, weighs 50 lbs.(riding in my pic here)

We drink very little and I Despise shopping!!

I would like to try the conch tram ride in Key West. Can I bring the folded scooter on it? Is it at all interesting? Any other thoughts?

More concerning is Cozumel. I had though I would try a snorkel experience for the first time, but the pain management doc is concerned because my neck-fused long ago-is in very bad shape, back always bad, and he does not think trying a new experience just now is smart. He is ok if I am in shallow calm water like Half Moon Cay. Add to this we enjoy beaches for a short time but not hours. I am pale as can be, neither of us were ever good swimmers.

RC seems to say nothing available for scooter users.

What about the one day passes to an all inclusive there in Cozumel? Any with shade, great food, perhaps a calm shallow beach with or without fishes if weather is warm. Another issue that week, maybe.

I used to ride horses at least once per trip, something I did when young and for a short while about 10 years ago. Last time my back fine but hips/legs cramped-wide saddle, wide horse. Anyone know if there Are gaited horses either locale, and willing to Never tell the doc I asked?

I would like to try the conch tram ride in Key West. Can I bring the folded scooter on it? Is it at all interesting? Any other thoughts?

You would have to book the Conch Train ride independently and not through the cruise line. Reason being that mobility equipment is only allowed on board at designated stops. Here's the link http://www.conchtourtrain.com/wheelchair-accessible-tours.html

Edited by xxoocruiser

Great advice. My scooter folds up, so I need to check and see if it is considered a collapsible wheelchair and ok at any stop, or I need to go to specific handicapped spot. Thanks!!

You would have to book the Conch Train ride independently and not through the cruise line. Reason being that mobility equipment is only allowed on board at designated stops. Here's the link http://www.conchtourtrain.com/wheelchair-accessible-tours.html

This was great advice, thanks. We rolled off the ship, down a short pier and the conch tram tour folks helped us pick which tour we preferred.

I loved the tour, but I made a major mistake by getting off my scooter and sitting on a regular seat.

• 2 weeks later...

Why conch tram tour was a mistake. I LOVED the tour itself. The mistake was that I could have rolled up a ramp onto what I assume is a place with their seat removed, and could have sat in my electric scooter. Since it folds, and despite best will at times my husband wants me to appear "normal" I folded scooter and sat in the tram seats.

They were just not deep enough, maybe 12 inches or 14 inches. Back was regular height. The angle needed for me to balance on narrow seat caused muscle spasms. The bumpiness of the ride caused more spasms. We got off at the first stop, right where we got on, , after 45 min. I am 5'5" and while not skinny am also not overweight.

The tour was historical and architectural in nature, with so much info and so many beautiful little cottages, large homes and a few mansions and hotels.

I had a similar problem on the wonderful American architects society boat tour around Manhattan. Stiff seat, not deep enough, add on needing to turn body or turn neck to see on each side, and I was in bad pain.

Hope this makes sense.