Holland America Line Zuiderdam Transatlantic 15th march 2015

CHEBOUNE

• 3 weeks later...

Two more here who will be on the TA, we are planning on doing the 9 night Panama Canal before it, and then returning home to Rome on the TA part.

This will be our "Honeymoon" as we have just married in Fort Lauderdale. :)

We look forward to meeting up onboard ;)

Hello everybody !

We just have printed the docs today…looking forward to sail !

We will arrive at Fort Lauderdale the night before the sailing and will stay at Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale Airport. We will probably get the shuttle to go to the port on the 16th.

We have already booked a taxi for a day tour of Madeira, just for us 2 but need to check how many seats available.

For the other excursions, no plan, we will see while we'll be there !

When we will arrive at Rome port, we will probably get a taxi to go to Fiumicino Airport to get a flight back to Paris at noon.

See you soon on board,

François and Julien

Hello everybody !

We just have printed the docs today…looking forward to sail !

We will arrive at Fort Lauderdale the night before the sailing and will stay at Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale Airport. We will probably get the shuttle to go to the port on the 16th.

We have already booked a taxi for a day tour of Madeira, just for us 2 but need to check how many seats available.

For the other excursions, no plan, we will see while we'll be there !

When we will arrive at Rome port, we will probably get a taxi to go to Fiumicino Airport to get a flight back to Paris at noon.

See you soon on board,

François and Julien

Bonjour,

Same here, nothing planned. Been to most ports before. Maybe I'll join a tour, maybe I stay in town. Relaxing.

Hello everybody !

See you soon on board,

François and Julien

Maybe I can join you; I have a flight at 12:55, to Amsterdam.

of course, our flight is at 1250 ! We'll talk about that on board then.

I do not know if a "friend of dorothy" is planned but we will meet on bord for sure.

I don't know if getting a taxi on the pier is possible and affordable; but last year, when I was traveling with a friend, we used a booked car service that waited for us on the pier in Civitavecchia. That option is too expensive now that I am traveling solo but if we can split the costs...

We used airports-shuttle [dot] com

BAS.

Guys

If any of you need any help with booking travel at Civitavecchia, please let us know, my husbands father, retired now, but used to own a private hire company there and still has lots of connections, so if you want any quotes or bookings made, let me know, we will be glad to help.

Be careful on arrival there, as one of the tricks that local taxi drivers and private hire drivers will use, is to convince you that there is a bus strike and or a rail strike, even when there isnt :) they bank on you not wanting to traipse all the way to the station and then come back again because of the "strike".

Its also worth noting for those of you that haven't been to Civitavecchia recently, the main gates where we used to exit has now changed, and is pretty much the opposite end of the port and even further away from the train station than it used to be, its still walkable, but a hell of a walk if youve gotta drag cases along with you.

We are looking forward to meeting you onboard :)

Yes we can split the costs !

I am pretty sure that we could get a taxi there without booking in advance but if you wish, we can book it, no problem.

Phiva, do you have a plan for this transfer with your husbands father ? Do you think that we have to book it in advance or we can get a taxi there the day of arrival ?

Thanks guys !

François

Yes we can split the costs !

I am pretty sure that we could get a taxi there without booking in advance but if you wish, we can book it, no problem.

Phiva, do you have a plan for this transfer with your husbands father ? Do you think that we have to book it in advance or we can get a taxi there the day of arrival ?

Thanks guys !

François

It was just very convenient to have a car waiting at the agreed time. We did it in October and it was great service. (also a very FAST driver! :) )

Hi,

We will have our own car meeting us at the port as we have a home in Rome.

Yes there will be taxis there and available, they do tend to be a little costly, but then so are private hires, who will most likely also be there touting for business.

My only concern for you guys would be ensuring that you are in a registered vehicle, as if its not, you willl have no insurance coverage. Hence perhaps better to pre-book. But don't get me wrong, Italy isn't as bad as many would have you believe, but any major city will have opportunists.

We are happy to help if we can, we don't get a commission or anything, theres nothing in this for us at all, except a desire to not see fellow cruisers getting ripped off. :)

Hi everyone,

We are planning to just walk over and jump on the train into Rome. Do you know if this is an easy process? I understand it's a bit of a walk to the station, but have no problems with that. Hope to meet you all at the FOD meet-up if the ship has them.

Hi everyone,

We are planning to just walk over and jump on the train into Rome. Do you know if this is an easy process? I understand it's a bit of a walk to the station, but have no problems with that. Hope to meet you all at the FOD meet-up if the ship has them.

Hi Mark

Last time we were at Civitavecchia picking someone up, the gate we are used to using was out of commission and passengers were being dropped off at the other end of the port. Not sure if it was temporary or if it is still like that, It is still walkable, but at least twice as far as it was before.

Just found this article that may help.

http://cruiseportwiki.com/Civitavecchia

see ya next week :)

• 3 months later...

Hi there...hubby and I (gay couple) are disembarking HAL Zuiderdam on 8/2 and spending two nights in Rome. Looking for best opportunities to get from Port to city, best sight seeing options, etc. You mentioned a contact there?

Direct email is papapman@aol.com (3 p's!)

Thanks

Ira P.